• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My sidearm offended several

After reading this post, would you cancel your membership?

• I would cancel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not cancel

• I would walk in again with my sidearm

• I would not walk in with my sidearm again

• Total voters

LeagueOf1291

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

Yeah- if the were offended by a .22- Im thinking about a pair of 50 caliber Desert Eagles with custom embossed leather holsters, emblazoned with "American Badass"...

Too much?:p
I was downtown Geneva on 9/12/01, and I saw this guy, about 6' 6", cowboy hat, long moustache, and a leather coat down to the top of the heels on his boots. The back of his coat said "God Bless America."

I wanted to run up and bear-hug him, but I held off.

personaltrainer1987

imported post

openryan wrote:
True, a .22 is no cannon by any stretch, but it would serve its purpose if you needed it.

Man,a .22 serves about the same purpose as shooting an NFL offensive lineman with an air rifle! Unless you get REAL lucky, it's just gonna piss him off more! So, unless your really, reallyskilled at marksmanship and your shot placement is absolutely impeccable, I would advise not going armed with any caliber that doesn't have .4 as the first digit or above!

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

personaltrainer1987 wrote:
openryan wrote:
True, a .22 is no cannon by any stretch, but it would serve its purpose if you needed it.

Man,a .22 serves about the same purpose as shooting an NFL offensive lineman with an air rifle! Unless you get REAL lucky, it's just gonna piss him off more! So, unless your really, reallyskilled at marksmanship and your shot placement is absolutely impeccable, I would advise not going armed with any caliber that doesn't have .4 as the first digit or above!

you wouldn't? not even .357mag?

psmartin

imported post

Let's pass around the hat and get OpenRyan some money for a real caliber.

A .22 is for plinking, 9mm or larger is for defense.. Remember, anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice.

But, I would agree that for deterence(ie: open carry) a .22 is as good as a .45, but if you ever needed to draw & fire, you might have to keep shooting until the slide locks back. (maybe inaccurate, but funny)

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
personaltrainer1987 wrote:
openryan wrote:

you wouldn't? not even .357mag?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

well it seems like most of you dont agree with my gun choice ;-P

but if i have to shoot someone, i dont anticipate them being more than 20 feet away from me, any situation i come up with i dont expect someone to be farther than that

so if i do have to shoo them, im going to shoot them in the head/chest

and if i run out of bullets ill just kick his ass :)

but regardless i went to the range yesterday and was shooting a .357, didnt like it, too much kick, felt like i was trying to aim a cannon, and forget shooting double action, way to jittery for that stuff

but i would like a 9mm, or even .40 s/w would be nice, but when it comes down to it i dont have the money right now -- oh well

and i dont really feel like my gun deters anyone, i mean if someone wants to commit a crime that bad, they are going to see it and take me out first most likely, i just feel more comfortable wearing it openly and not getting jabbed in my side when i sit down

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

openryan wrote:
and i dont really feel like my gun deters anyone, i mean if someone wants to commit a crime that bad, they are going to see it and take me out first most likely, i just feel more comfortable wearing it openly and not getting jabbed in my side when i sit down
There seems to be a bit of tactical thinking that runs in the same direction. I'm wondering how much its been tested to see if the theory is true. Criminals go to a lot of trouble to avoid committing their crimes in the presence of police, i.e. they avoid the guy with a gun. Also, I know of at least one bank robber in VA who high-tailed it when he saw the armed citizen at the teller's window. Add all the bad guys who change their mind when the citizen produces or refers to a firearm. I'm thinking the odds of encountering a truly dedicated shoot-the-armed-citizen-first criminal arelow.Criminalsdon't wantto fight. They want to dominate andoverpower as fast as they can while not risking their own skin. I'm thinking the majority of them will disappear the moment they see the firearm.