• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My sidearm offended several

After reading this post, would you cancel your membership?

• I would cancel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not cancel

• I would walk in again with my sidearm

• I would not walk in with my sidearm again

• Total voters

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I was at the tanning salon with my girlfriend yesterday.

I had walked in the day before Openly carrying my .22, the clerk asked me if I was an LEO, I said no, but I do have a permit, as I could tell he was nervous.

Yesterday I walked out and my girlfriend said a different kid talked to her and said they told him to tell me that they would appreciate if I did not wear my sidearm into the salon, as a client had made a remark about it.

First off, he said he did not want to tell me directly because he was scared to, well I find this offensive to me, and to all of the legal gun owners, by saying this, he was implying that I would shoot up the store if he said I could not wear my firearm openly. I would not have a problem with this at all if he had told me directly, I do not feel a need for my weapon inside the salon but I also feel very unsafe leaving it in my car loaded and without a person in my vehicle.

Now, I guess I have two options here, I can wear my firearm into the salon again since they never told me directly nor should they use my girlfriend as a messenger pigeon. But I am not looking for trouble at all, and I do like to respect peoples wishes.

I think I would like to cancel my membership to this particular business today, has anyone have any input or been in a situation like this before?

I would appreciate some insight.

I do see a concern as this is a business and they do not want clients leaving because 'a man in a gun goes there' but I also am offended not only that they do not like me having it, but because they cannot tell me personally.

-Ryan

sitedzn

imported post

i think i'd wait until they asked me to leave, then on my way out, cancel.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
First off, he said he did not want to tell me directly because he was scared to, well I find this offensive to me, and to all of the legal gun owners, by saying this, he was implying that I would shoot up the store if he said I could not wear my firearm openly. I would not have a problem with this at all if he had told me directly, I do not feel a need for my weapon inside the salon but I also feel very unsafe leaving it in my car loaded and without a person in my vehicle.
How is he implying that? It could be that he is not really implying what you said but that you are simplyinferring it without cause.

openryan wrote:
I do see a concern as this is a business and they do not want clients leaving because 'a man in a gun goes there' but I also am offended not only that they do not like me having it, but because they cannot tell me personally.

This is a very well formuated compound statement. Why not communicate it directly to the guy? Maybe you two could work out a compromise that will satisfy both of your needs, he'll withdraw hisobjection, or you'll accede to his wishes.

I would try to work it out.

BTW, what does the thread title "My sidearm offended several" mean. Were there several people involved?

danbus

imported post

Me being who I am, I would NEVER EVER put someone's feelings over my or other people's safety.

I don't care if I offend the Pope, because if shit hit the fan, he's going to do 2 things: pray and call for someone with a gun.

With your particular situation, I would keep carrying until the owner askedme not to carry thereanymore. I would then cancel my membership and take my business elsewhere.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Oh, I have no problem talking with him and may even carry concealed and keep my membership, but that flew out the window pretty much when he addressed my girlfriend about the matter in lieu of myself. Also I do not think the burden is on me as the customer, I believe they should be the ones to resolve any issues they see.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I think you should work on getting some tanlines that show that you not only openlywear your gun, but sometimes you wear nothing BUT your gun. :lol:

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd call and ask to talk to the owner or manager (in that order). It would be best if you knew the cowardly kid's name. Explain the circumstances and see what they say. If they stick to the no guns position, cancel your membership with the demand that they don't charge you a termination fee. Also, send the shop's info to VCDL's Gun Owner Unfriendly list.

EDIT: Ok, didn't realize this was not in Virginia.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I live in Indiana and I have only seen people oc once in a blue moon, and they are generally people who have jobs that require them to carry, not many people realize oc is legal, and I think they get a little nervous when they see it.

However there was no signage that said guns were not permitted, moreso it sounded like a client complained to the kids behind the counter while I was in the back.

psmartin

imported post

Unless they have the balls to tell you to your face, ignore them..

If they press the issue, tell them you will do business elsewhere, and then do it.

There are too many village idiots among us.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
I live in Indiana and I have only seen people oc once in a blue moon, and they are generally people who have jobs that require them to carry, not many people realize oc is legal, and I think they get a little nervous when they see it.

However there was no signage that said guns were not permitted, moreso it sounded like a client complained to the kids behind the counter while I was in the back.

Would you leave if someone was bothered by your race/sex/religion/car you drive? Sounds like they are the ones that need to change their ways or go somewhere else.

LoveMyCountry

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Concur, carry until they find the balls to ask you to leave. Then again, you may be there a while....

They might just realize...OH MY GOD, nothing happened!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd go one step further. A salon is a small shop where the people and clients aren't just faces and names; or they don't have to be. Go again and strike up a conversation, let them get to know you as a stable guy with a sense of humor.A few visits like that and things might very well settle down. The businesses I frequent, seem almost to think, "Oh good, here's the gun guy. No robber is gonna try anything while he's here." You can see the friendliness in their faces when I walk in the door. However, this didn't happen just because I was just one more customer who happened to carry a gun. Its because I struck up conversations with the staff, "Boy, y'all look busy today!" Etc. Etc.I got to know them a little bit; and they got to know me a little bit.

That other customer that complains will soon be hearing, "Him? He'sa regular. No ma'am, he has the right and we're glad to have him."

I might even make a pretext visit between appt's, "Oh, I was passing by. I think I left my (sunglasses, book, F350) here last time. Have you seen it? Oh, well thanks.Seguegently into asking a question that shows you've taken notice of him/her. For example, "Ihave/haven't met you here before. Are you new? How long have you beenworking here?" You getthe idea.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My family and I all get our hair done at an expensive salon in Manassas and I open carry there every time I go. Nobody has even mentioned it except for the girl who regularly cuts our hair, but she's totally cool with it. Her husband has a concealed carry permit and she shoots too, so it's no big deal. If the owner has a problem with it she's never said a word, probably because when my wife and daughters get the works we regularly drop a couple hundred bucks (including tips). :dude:

Now you know why the piggy bank in my avatar is so skinny.

44Brent

imported post

I had walked in the day before Openly carrying my .22, the clerk asked me if I was an LEO, I said no, but I do have a permit, as I could tell he was nervous.

I wouldn't worry about the tanning salon. Your problem is that you're relying on an underpowered mouse gun for self-defense.

Get a bigger gun!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

44Brent wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the tanning salon. Your problem is that you're relying on an underpowered mouse gun for self-defense.

Get a bigger gun!

Yeah- if the were offended by a .22- Im thinking about a pair of 50 caliber Desert Eagles with custom embossed leather holsters, emblazoned with "American Badass"...

Too much?:p

personaltrainer1987

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
44Brent wrote:

Get a bigger gun!

Yeah- if the were offended by a .22- Im thinking about a pair of 50 caliber Desert Eagles with custom embossed leather holsters, emblazoned with "American Badass"...

Too much?:p
Laughing my ass off!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

True, a .22 is no cannon by any stretch, but it would serve its purpose if you needed it.

At anyrate, I thought i would update you on my situation, I hadn't gone to this place in the past week, not since it happened, not because of what happened, just because I've been very busy with work and my business, and my g/f went in there a few days ago and apparently they don't care anymore if i bring it in, probably because my money speaks louder than I do.

what a crock