• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harrassed @ Colonial Park Mall (Harrisburg)

Rounin

imported post

Just a bit of a background, but I've been carrying concealed off and on for the past 5-6 years or so that I've owned my Glock. It wasn't until recently - perhaps 2 months ago - that I began to open carry. I've done so successfully all over the place from Shamokin Dam (Susquehanna Valley Mall), Sheetz, Best Buy, Burger King, etc...

Today I visited the Colonial Park Mall wearing my firearm open carry in a tactical holster with blue jeans and a black zip up hoodie. No big deal. I had an item to return to Boscovs so I took care of that, then walked around the store looking at clothes and furniture and other things. No problem.

I walk back to my vehicle and pull around to the actual mall part of the complex, park, and enter a pair of side doors where there are 2 uniformed security officers standing. Neither one say a thing to me. I walk in and go into the camera store and browse around for a bit then walk down to FYE. I'm browsing around a bit and I notice 2 different uniformed security officers approaching me from the right-hand side towards my rear.

They greet me (failing to introduce themselves as security guards) and ask me if I have a permit for my firearm. I politely tell them that I don't need one to open carry, but I do if I conceal it. So as a gesture of professional courtesy I display my LTCF card, but in the process of pulling out my card, "Frank" points to my gun and asks me "What is it then?" I ignore his question. He scans it over and then returns my card and tells me that I cannot have my gun on mall property. I ask him if I can conceal it and he tells me no, that he would still know that I was carrying a firearm. He tells me that I'm more than welcome to take it out to my car and return inside.

At this point, I ask him where this policy of no firearms on mall property is located, because there is nothing posted upon entering the facility. He ignores my question, pulls out his notebook and begins to pour over this tiny little card. At this point, I tell him I understand his concern considering recent events (VA Tech), but that is partly why I carry. "Frank's" female partner finally speaks up and tells me that I probably wouldn't do anything anyways. I tell her that's a difference of opinion. He finally gives up looking for it on the card and hands it to me.

"Frank" then proceeds to lecture me saying that I'm on private property and that essentially he can ask me to leave for any reason at all. He can tell me what can/can't say, how to chew my gum, etc... etc... Why "Frank" drones on, I point out on his "Standards of Conduct" card where it states that the following activities are prohibited...

Openly carrying instruments which could be used to cause injury to another person
At this point, the conversation has moved from inside FYE out to the mall walkway. I explain him that I will honor his request (so as not to involve Swatara Police) and leave the premises, but that I would not return and that I would tell everyone I know not to shop at the Colonial Park Mall, because of their total disregard to honor my rights. He told me that I was being childish and I responded by telling him that I have a right to protect myself. "Frank" tells me that my firearm is "upsetting and scaring" other people. He reminds me that I'm in a "family friendly mall" (as opposed to what???).

Soon after, we shake hands and I excuse myself. It wasn't until after I left the mall and reread the card did I notice "openly carrying..."

After that incident, I went over to Best Buy without a problem. Got a few hairy eyeballs, but no big deal.

Thoughts, comments? Was security out of line? What legal rights do they (and other private businesses) have concerning this stuff? It all seems a bit shady to me. I've read about how LEO's cannot perform a "Terry Stop" just because I have a firearm and I'm walking on the street, but what about inside a business? It seems like the rules change a bit.

Steve in PA

imported post

Its private property. The security guards are acting in place of the mall owners and if the policy is so, can ask you to leave the mall. Refuse to leave and you are now a defiant trespasser.

rady8um

imported post

By tactical holster, do you mean a thigh holster? If so, I would consider moving to a belt holster. Thigh holsters seem a little odd with jeans and a hoodie sweatshirt. Not that it's illegal to carry that way, but you wil definitely get noticed more. Probably not in the good way.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar. YMMV.

Rounin

imported post

@ Steve - Thanks. I understand about defiant trespass (which is not an issue in this case as I left voluntarily). I suppose my problem is with the idea of this particular security guard altering (non)-posted mall policy. It does not restrict me from carrying concealed, just openly. I have half a notion to contact mall management and complain.

@ rady8um - Sorry, not tactical, I meant hip holster. It's a hard plastic that just looks tactical.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Instead of contacting mall management, with the magic of your word processor, create a letter to be sent to each and every store manager located within the mall, with a courtesy copy being furnished to mall management.

Point out that your actions were not otherwise illegal, your rights as guaranteed by the Pennsylvania State Constitution were abridged, and you will no longer spend your hard-earned cash at any of the establishments located therein.

Yes, grammar and spelling is important - very important. If your letter looks like a piece of excrement, so will their opinion of you follow likewise.