• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new sidearm

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I currently carry a simple s/w .22lr a1 and dont get much attention or comments from a lot of people, it is all black and in a black holster so doesn't call a whole lot of attention to itself which is how I like it.

I am currently looking for another sidearm to replace the current one, maybe something a smidge smaller, definately semi-auto.

As I have never owned any other sidearm, I was looking for input from others.

Definately something that doesn't draw attention, and if you have a link where I can find a photo, or if you have a photo, that would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan

casullshooter

imported post

I don't know what cal. you are looking for but if it is 9mm or larger check paraord.com , I can attest to the quality and reliability of their guns . They offer many choices forCCW . Their pistols have the largest extractor on the market . I have never had a failure to extract and any other Para owner I have spoken with has experienced the same......Happy Hunting!

Flowmaster

imported post

if you really like S&W 22s, i'd reccomend the 422 or 622. they're very similar guns, great little 22s.

taurus makes a little .22 semiauto, its a ripoff of the beretta bobcat/tomcat with the tip up barrel and all. taurus' little 22 isn't horribly reliable, but it will feed and repeatedly fire the CCI 22LR shotshells, which is nice. i see them at gun shows under 200 brand new. its a tiny gun, much smaller than what you currently carry.

i'd also carry a 9 or larger. i like 9 personally, its enough. 40 and 45 feel like too much gun for me, they have a lot of kick. 9 with some hollowpoints would be more than adequate for me if i ever needed to use it.

as far as little 9mm pistols, check out the keltec PF9 and the P11. the PF9 is newer looking and a little bigger. seecamp makes some fantastic small guns, the fit/finish is far above any other pocket gun i've ever handled, but you'll pay dearly for one.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

how much is a 9, at a gun show new and used, of average/above average quality, not top of the line, not out of the garbage either though

ive fired a 9 several times, my father owns 2, and i do like them

Flowmaster

imported post

i've seen 9mms at gun shows go for under 350 brand new. i personally got a ruger p95 DC (decocker) withtwo 15rd magazinesand a loader for 329 brand new.

my friend got a S&W SW9VE in 9mm with two 16rd magazines brand new at a gun show for 318.

i consider both of these guns decent guns. i mean my ruger is no sig, i know that, but it functions well and is very dependable, and its less than half the price of a sig.thep95 and the sw9ve areboth american-made guns with lifetime warranties. i made sure to not buy something with a lesser warranty. its not a llama or a bersa.

i routinely see both variants of the keltec 9mm pistol going for under 300 brand new.

9mm ammo is cheap. you can get 100 packs at walmart for under $15. that's 15 cents a round, just about as much as cheap 7.62x39 rifle ammo costs. the cost of ammo is the real reason why i decided on 9 instead of 40S&W or 45ACP. 9 has plenty of punch and its cheap enough that i can afford to shoot it a lot.

VAopencarry

imported post

Ryan, Don't sweat the people that bagged on you for carrying a .22. Save up your penny's and buy a decent gun when you are ready, don't jump a the first cheap 9mm that comes your way.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Ryan, Don't sweat the people that bagged on you for carrying a .22. Save up your penny's and buy a decent gun when you are ready, don't jump a the first cheap 9mm that comes your way.

No, he wants you to buy an expensive 9MM. Next he'll tell you where to go to buy it and which salesman to ask. :D

PS: Good advice otherwise, though.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

well, i think a lot of this comes down to 'what i carry' kind of like a pissing contest - you know? everyone has to one up each other, well everyone one ups me :) cause i have a puny .22 (heh)

not saying this is indicative of people in this forum, but i have read on other pages how people thing they need to basically wrap themselves in firearms to be able to walk out their front door!

At any rate, I do appreciate your advice and I am thinking that is what I am going to do, is buy a 9mm, im waiting for the gun show to come back around in a month or two, so hopefully i can get a deal on one from there.

Thank again everyone for you input, I do appreciate it.

-Ryan

badmonkey

imported post

You may want to consider a Kahr 9mm. I bought a Kahr CW9 a few months ago and it is very accurate and reliable, over 1000 rounds so far and no problems! Just an idea, there are lots of other very good 9mm's out there. Kahrs can be had used for around $400, cheaper if you wait and find a good deal. But you should try to shoot one like it (this goes for any gun) before running out and buying it, especially if you're like me and on a tight budget.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carry the largest caliber you can handle based on what you see as your greatest threat. The average person can't tell the difference between a .22 and my .45 while OC'ing down the street of my neighborhood, but I don't carry for looks. I carry a caliber that will stop an attacker with as few hits as possible. I'm big, so for me that's the .45 ACP. Not picking here, but when the adrenaline is pumping, I'd rather hit with 2 of 8 .45 rounds (25% of a mag) than 6 of 12 rounds of a .22 (50%).

You're obviously not going to be shooting through car doors or windshields in self defense, so ignore that hype. If you're routinely in areas with a lot of drug abuse, or violent crime, you might want bigger stopping power.

Get thee to a gunnery! Go to a range and rent a couple different calibers and find what YOU are comfortable carrying

Flowmaster

imported post

i'm a tall guy and i open carry a 22 a lot of the time. i'm certainly not hating on you for carrying a .22,i just like 9mm.

my 22 is little, and i look rediculous open carrying it, but i'm comfortable with it.
smallatgunshowbm4.jpg

see that on the top, holding the gun's box? that's my hand. that'll tell you how small the gun is.

i'm over 6 feet tall and over 200 lbs, but 9 is about the biggest i can accurately/reliably shoot. bobcav made a great suggestion by saying go to the range and rent some guns. i've found that a box of 50 of each caliber are plenty to find out whether i like a gun or not. just get whatever you're comfortable with.

usmc_recon

imported post

I have a version of that S&W .22 that you have. I'm not a big fan of it. It isn't very reliable and the sights are a mess to adjust. Overall, it is poorly constructed; however, it was cheap so I guess you get what you pay for.

The Kahr's are sized well, though they are single-stacked mags which don't hold much. Also, Kahr sets their trigger pulls way too heavy. Mine has jammed enough to irritate me, but it may be a matter of getting more rounds thru it to break it in.

I agree with all who said you should stick with 9mm or bigger. Many "experts" don't even agree that 9mm is enough, but it probably is. I have read many a gun magazine article where they say all self-defense calibers should begin with a .4 or higher. Based on that, you should start with a .40. But anything is better than nothing, so simply carrying, you are already ahead of the game.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

I strongly suggest you up grade to at least a .380 or 9mm. Although a lot of people have been killed with a .22, its not a show stopper and IMHO lack the penetration to reliably get the job done. Not busting your chops here, just offering advise. ;)

If your looking to save money, Bersa makes some quality firearms at great prices.

The Thunder .380 is a nice gun. http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa380.php

The Thunder 9 would also be agood choice. http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa9.php

Also, a quality holster and belt has a lot to do with how much gun you can comfortably carry.