Thread: Was Approached in Wal Mart Today...

Post imported post

I was in the WalMart in O'Fallon on K a little while ago, and a guy approched me and asked for my ID. I think he was a LEO of some description, because he showed me something in his wallet that had what appeared to be a Sherriff "star" (not a badge though). He caught me when I was on the phone with my wife so I was a bit distracted.

Anyway, I got out my wallet and started unfolding it, and only got as far as my badge (I have my badge in my wallet from when I was a Vol. Firefighter in NY), and he was like OK and took off. I guess he ASSumed that I was also a LEO.

I don't know if he thought only LEO's can carry a firearm openly inMissouriand was looking for that, or if he wanted to see if I was old enough (unfortunatly I look young for 26) or what, but what would be the right answer if someone where to ask again? Should I ask them what for? Do I HAVE to show them ID?

Yesterday I was in Fazolis and three State Troopers came in while I was waiting for my food and they didn't even blink. Either they didn't notice, or knew the law.

Thanks

Dave

Post imported post

I would want anyone asking to see my ID to establish with proper credentials that they are a LEO . If they can not do this I would tell them impersonation of a LEO is a crime and say Good day.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Sounds like a wanna-be ran into what he thought was a really-is and skeedadled!:P

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher

Post imported post

It could have been someone involved in LE, i think people in homeland security have a card with a star on it, I have a friend in there, and I believe they carry cards that have a background like that, although I am not 100% sure.

Post imported post

I'm with casullshooter on this one. As soon as someone asked for my ID like that, I would have told the wife I need to go so that I could pay full attention to the situation and then ask the person requesting it for proper credentials.

Post imported post

357SigFan wrote:
    Anyway, I got out my wallet and started unfolding it, and only got as far as my badge (I have my badge in my wallet from when I was a Vol. Firefighter in NY), and he was like OK and took off. I guess he ASSumed that I was also a LEO.
    Good thing you had your badge with you.

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    I'm with casullshooter on this one. As soon as someone asked for my ID like that, I would have told the wife I need to go so that I could pay full attention to the situation and then ask the person requesting it for proper credentials.
    Actually I was just finishing the call. Just didn't expect anyone would ask for ID for carrying here in MO. Now I know it could happen so I'll be ready for it next time.