• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Way

duck ninja

imported post

So I keep hearing about the Federal Way training . I would love to get my hands on it and give it a once over. Would someone please point me to where I might get a copy of it? Thanks!!! :lol:

Mainsail

imported post

At the end of that training bulletin there are two Federal Way City Codes. The first one, 6-138, would appear to be more restrictive than Washington RCW.

Is that a valid concern if I’m eating in a restaurant that also serves drinks in Federal Way?

44Brent

imported post

The ordinances are non-enforceable because they are invalid under the pre-emption statute.

Mainsail

imported post

Well, that’s what I thought; it just seems odd that they would emphasize a preempted city law in a training bulletin. How does it benefit the city or the FedWay police to misinform their officers?

gregma

imported post

44Brent wrote:
The ordinances are non-enforceable because they are invalid under the pre-emption statute.
I'd still be a little careful. If the law is on the books (unenforceable or not), you can still be arrested for it. The local judge can still even find you *guilty* of breaking the law.

Of course the conviction would be over turned on appeal to the state. But by then we're talking about loads of money and hassle. Perhaps even jail time.

If there is a law on the book that is invalid, we need to work on getting that law removed by whatever process that is.

Thanks!
Greg

44Brent

imported post

There are probably loads of unenforceable ordinances across the state. Instead of taking a piecemeal approach to getting rid of them, perhaps there needs to be a project as part of a new civil rights group to identify all ordinances which are in conflict with the pre-emption statute, and get rid of all of them.

Lonnie, what do you think?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

44Brent wrote:
There are probably loads of unenforceable ordinances across the state. Instead of taking a piecemeal approach to getting rid of them, perhaps there needs to be a project as part of a new civil rights group to identify all ordinances which are in conflict with the pre-emption statute, and get rid of all of them.

Lonnie, what do you think?

I've been focused more on training bulletins than flat out preemption violations, but I did manage to get Lynnwood to take down their no firearm portions of their signs, as I stated per an alert.

I will be emailing the Chief of Federal Way myself (his name is Brian Wilson) and asking him to send out a new bulletin about the preempted statutes.

Mainsail

imported post

Ok, being somewhat new to the whole OC thing, I have a couple of questions.

Has anyone carried openly in the SeaTac airport? I carry concealed there any time I’m picking up or dropping off.

Has anyone OCd in the Tacoma Mall?

compmanio365

imported post

I dunno about the airport, that might be the one place I wouldn't go anywhere near with a firearm, openly carried or not.....

I would like to hear about the Tacoma Mall too, since it would be one of the places I might go while OCing.....wonder if they are stillnervousbecause ofthat shooting that took place a while back.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Tacoma Mall has a weapons ban that's posted both at the door and at the entrance of the parking lot.

SeaTac Airport does not ban guns in the non-sterile areas. However, there are warning signs all around stating that only passengers and their guests may be inside of the airport. Though I think that's stretching a little because certain things on the non-secure side are open to the public.

gregma

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Tacoma Mall has a weapons ban that's posted both at the door and at the entrance of the parking lot.
So far, that weapons ban has worked out really well for them... :lol: :banghead:

Thanks!
Greg

kparker

imported post

Mainsail,

You have to look really hard to find the signs. Nobody just walking in would ever notice them; they're off to the side, and in print small enough you can't just see it as you pass by, you have to walk up pretty close to actually read them. And they're not just about prohibiting firearms--it's a pretty standard rules-n-regs kind of list.

I can't see any way the signs could be considered constructive notification--not that Washington has any kind of sign law to begin with.

compmanio365,

Why would you be reluctant to CC in the public areas of the airport?