• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada SB92 as amended, Can anyone analyze this?

combatcarry

imported post

My understanding of SB92...

It effectively removes the Clark County (Las Vegas is in Clark County) requirement for gun registration for non-residents. If the bill passes into law non-residents will have 60 days to remain in the county before their gun must be registered.

This is great if the Nevada CCW Reciprocity bill passes. This will allow non-residents to carry concealed on some state's permits without needing to register their carry gun in Clark County.

If SB92 were to pass without the Nevada Reciprocity bill passing, it would eliminate the need for non-residents to register their openly carried concealable weapons. Since loaded car carry is legal in Nevada non-residents could also have a loaded, unregistered, gun in their car.

The bill only applies to Clark County because it is the only place requiring the registration of concealable firearms.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
My understanding of SB92...

It effectively removes the Clark County (Las Vegas is in Clark County) requirement for gun registration for non-residents. If the bill passes into law non-residents will have 60 days to remain in the county before their gun must be registered.

This is great if the Nevada CCW Reciprocity bill passes.  This will allow non-residents to carry concealed on some state's permits without needing to register their carry gun in Clark County.

If SB92 were to pass without the Nevada Reciprocity bill passing, it would eliminate the need for non-residents to register their openly carried concealable weapons.  Since loaded car carry is legal in Nevada non-residents could also have a loaded, unregistered, gun in their car.

The bill only applies to Clark County because it is the only place requiring the registration of concealable firearms.

This is generally correct, but the bill goes still further.

The new code has the effect of preemption in the event a local legislative body does not change their law to conform by Jan 1, 2008.

Moreover, it provides not just the 60 day grace period before a firearm brought into the jurisdiction must be registered, it also allows that 5 days may elapse before a firearm already in the jurisdiction must be registered after sale to a person living there.

But it does not end the registration requirement. AFAICT it would have no effect on open carry, unless a particular open carry ordinance had a registration provision.

BUT I am not a lawyer, you should seek legal advice on the matter before you try to act under the provisions of the bill.

Regards