• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Gipper

Kelly J

imported post

THE GIPPER ON ARMS
“There are those in America today who have come to depend absolutely on government for their security. And when government fails they seek to rectify that failure in the form of granting government more power. So, as government has failed to control crime and violence with the means given it by the Constitution, they seek to give it more power at the expense of the Constitution. But in doing so, in their willingness to give up their arms in the name of safety, they are really giving up their protection from what has always been the chief source of despotism—government. Lord Acton said power corrupts. Surely then, if this is true, the more power we give the government the more corrupt it will become. And if we give it the power to confiscate our arms we also give up the ultimate means to combat that corrupt power. In doing so we can only assure that we will eventually be totally subject to it.” —Ronald Reagan

tarzan1888

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
THE GIPPER ON ARMS
“There are those in America today who have come to depend absolutely on government for their security. And when government fails they seek to rectify that failure in the form of granting government more power. So, as government has failed to control crime and violence with the means given it by the Constitution, they seek to give it more power at the expense of the Constitution. But in doing so, in their willingness to give up their arms in the name of safety, they are really giving up their protection from what has always been the chief source of despotism—government. Lord Acton said power corrupts. Surely then, if this is true, the more power we give the government the more corrupt it will become. And if we give it the power to confiscate our arms we also give up the ultimate means to combat that corrupt power. In doing so we can only assure that we will eventually be totally subject to it.” —Ronald Reagan

Don't you love that man!

Fred Thompson reminds me of Reagan

Kelly J

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
THE GIPPER ON ARMS

Don't you love that man!

I don't know if I would say I love that man or not, but I do think we lost a great American, and Patriot, and it is rather funny, but usually the case, there is a lot of us that did not know how great he was, until after he was no longer our President.

And yes I do like Fred Thompson and think he too could become a great President, not because of his likeness to Reagan, but because he is Fred Thompson a like minded Patriot.

(I hope you do not read anything into my reply as there was no intent of any disrespectful thoughts)

tarzan1888

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
THE GIPPER ON ARMS

Don't you love that man!

I don't know if I would say I love that man or not, but I do think we lost a great American, and Patriot, and it is rather funny, but usually the case, there is a lot of us that did not know how great he was, until after he was no longer our President.

And yes I do like Fred Thompson and think he too could become a great President, not because of his likeness to Reagan, but because he is Fred Thompson a like minded Patriot.

(I hope you do not read anything into my reply as there was no intent of any disrespectful thoughts)

I read you loud and clear, and Fred Thompson reminds me of Mr. Reagan because he has similar traits paramount of which is he is a patriot who thinks like I do.

I've liked Mr. Reagan since I first heard him speak back in 1970 In Anaheim California, when he was Governor and he was introducing Nixon at a Rally at the Convention Center. I was a clean cut young man and they gave me a flag to wave and put me up front as I was such a contrast to most of the other young man in California back then. I would still stand and wave a flag for Mr. Reagan.

xpun8

imported post

If you "love" Reagan or love Reagan...
I highly recommend the boot "The Crusader" by Paul Keegan. I loved Reagan in grade 6 only because the cute girl next to me never stopped talking about him. That was the middle of the Iran hostage crisis, before he was elected. As I started forming my own opinions, some years later I really started to like him. Everything this book had to say reenforced every opinion I ever had of him. The book was easy to read as far as autobiography's go.

tarzan1888

imported post

xpun8 wrote:
If you "love" Reagan or love Reagan...
I highly recommend the boot "The Crusader" by Paul Keegan.  I loved Reagan in grade 6 only because the cute girl next to me never stopped talking about him.  That was the middle of the Iran hostage crisis, before he was elected.  As I started forming my own opinions, some years later I really started to like him.  Everything this book had to say reenforced every opinion I ever had of him.  The book was easy to read as far as autobiography's go. 

Thank You Looks like a good read.

mzbk2l

imported post

Just a quick note: you're not going to have much luck if you look online for Paul Keegan (at least at Amazon).

Paul Kengor is the correct spelling. Other than that, thanks for the heads-up on this book; it looks pretty interesting. Can't wait to read about the antics of that idiot Kennedy.