• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Observation

Armed4Life

imported post

I made this observation after comparing the weapons laws of several gun friendly states that I would be driving through on a cross country trek. Whereas, with most OC states, open carry is legal because there is no prohibition against it (i.e. the law may only mention concealed carry); in AZ, the law prohibits any carrying of a deadly weapon without a permit, and open carry is legal because of an exception in the statute for a weapon in a belt holster. Does this make AZ open carry weaker than other states. By that I mean, would it be easier for a state to strike an exception from a statute (in the case of AZ) to make OC illegal w/o a permit versus adding a prohibition against it (VA for example). Opinions?

azcdlfred

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
I made this observation after comparing the weapons laws of several gun friendly states that I would be driving through on a cross country trek. Whereas, with most OC states, open carry is legal because there is no prohibition against it (i.e. the law may only mention concealed carry); in AZ, the law prohibits any carrying of a deadly weapon without a permit, and open carry is legal because of an exception in the statute for a weapon in a belt holster. Does this make AZ open carry weaker than other states. By that I mean, would it be easier for a state to strike an exception from a statute (in the case of AZ) to make OC illegal w/o a permit versus adding a prohibition against it (VA for example). Opinions?

I moved here from VA and I maintain that I lost much of my RKBA. Open carry is just one area where AZ law sucks. And, to top it off, there are 1994 Appellate court decisions that pretty much wipe out what little open carry is permissible.

However, on a positive note we (AzCDL) have managed to get SB 1301to the governor's desk. SB 1301 gets rid of the belt-holster limitation and eliminates thewording that the 1994 court decisions were dependent on. It also has a provision that allows for permitless carry in common ares of where you own or rent along with any cars in on your property (illegal under current law).

If you care about open carry, I'd recommend cranking out a letter to the governor. Check out our News page for a cut-and-paste letter.

Fred

Armed4Life

imported post

Thanks Fred. I've been following the alerts on SB1301. Glad it has finally made it to the governor......will send him a note.
I too am an East Coast transplant (DPRNJ). Although AZ is a heck of a lot better then where I've been, continuous improvement is great.

azcdlfred

imported post

jjmtb wrote:

Yes! She vetoed SB 1301 with a statement to "get a permit" if you want to carry a gun.

She followed up with a veto of SB 1629 (petty offense for CCW w/or permit) by saying that if peoplewho don't havepermits"are, by deifnition, lawbreakers."

In Janet's eyes if you want to carry a gun you better have a permit, otherwise, you're a lawbreaker. In her veto letter on SB 1629 she lumps gunowners with gang members.

Check out the AzCDL news page (you'll have to scroll down a little) for more info.

The mystery is that many gun owners told me they voted for her becuase she's "pro-gun."

Fred

Ghost

imported post

wondering besides trying to change this if you guys will put someone in office next that better takes care of gun rights, small part of why i am moving if they ruin the gun laws im out again...Az here i come:banghead:

azcdlfred

imported post

Ghost wrote:
wondering besides trying to change this if you guys will put someone in office next that better takes care of gun rights, small part of why i am moving if they ruin the gun laws im out again...Az here i come:banghead:

We'll have to leave the politicing toactivists like you. We're strictly an issue orientedlobbying group and our IRS tax exempt status does not allow us to get partisan or get involved in political campaigns.

On that note, we would like to set up a separate Political Action Committee (PAC) but we, the directors of AzCDL, cannot be involved. We're looking for volunteers.

We're also looking for volunteers to work gun shows.:celebrate

Fred