• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Vehicle

mserr

imported post

I have a question. I'm 19 and own a Glock 23 for SD. The gun is in my fathers name since he bought it on the count I'm not 21. Now, I know according to state law you only need to be 19 to posess a handgun. Meaning I can OC at 19 and all that. I have only been carrying in my vehicle though. One thing I have been worrying about is getting pulled over. If I get pulled over and they ask if I have any weapons or drugs in the vehicle and I announce the pistol, will they just take it for the duration of the traffic stop or will they want to run the serial and all that? I'm worried they will think the gun is stolen or want to call up and bug my dad. What is standard procedure for traffic stops involving firearms?

mserr

imported post

When a gun is purchased its in the buyers name isnt it?

mserr

imported post

Ok so the extent that the cops could do is just see if the gun is stolen or not? So I shouldn't have trouble if I do get pulled over, right?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mserr wrote:
Ok so the extent that the cops could do is just see if the gun is stolen or not? So I shouldn't have trouble if I do get pulled over, right?
The police do not have instant access to dealer records except within the context of a criminal investigation.

I think I have pulled you off your won topic though - maybe someone from NM can answer your basic inquiry which is what to expect in a traffic stop while you are open carrying in your car.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mserr wrote:
The police do not have instant access to dealer records except within the context of a criminal investigation.

I think I have pulled you off your won topic though - maybe someone from NM can answer your basic inquiry which is what to expect in a traffic stop while you are open carrying in a vehicle.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mserr wrote:

The police do not have instant access to dealer records, so they have no idea who owns the gun.

I think I have pulled you off your own topic though - maybe someone from NM can answer your basic inquiry which is what to expect in a traffic stop while you are open carrying in a vehicle in NM - presumably you should expect no hassle. be advised, in NM, we are tracking that handguns may be concealed in vehicles in NM without any license anyway.

mserr

imported post

I understand i can OC or CC in the vehicle, I'm still going to have to declare it when an officer asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle. I will wait for someone from NM to further answer the question.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mserr wrote:
I understand i can OC or CC in the vehicle, I'm still going to have to declare it when an officer asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle. I will wait for someone from NM to further answer the question.
Good question for a NM expert - Packing.org summary says no need to notify law enforcement if carrying concealed - http://www.packing.org/state/new_mexico/#statenotify_officer_law- but being asked might trigger a statutory duty if concealed (NM statututory question); I doubt you have to answer for OC, but then again, the LEO can just look :)

SickTag

imported post

A cop can disarm you for the duration for the traffic stop but unless he arrests you he has to give you the firearm back. It is strange that you have to be 21 or over to buy a gun or ammo but you can have a gun if you are 19 or over. If he asks if you have any weapons in the vehicle you do have to tell him if you do or not. There isn't any registration for guns, you are responcible for your gun when you buy it and should report the number if it is stolen, but some guns serial numbers are a pain to get it, but I do not think that he would check it out. He will most likely not ask you if you have a weapon in the vehicle and if you are worried about him seeing the gun just conceal it, which you can do while in the car on yourself or anywhere in the car. If you are REALLY paranoid about having a gun in the car maybe you shouldn't have it in the car, or even unload it and lock it in your trunk. I haven't had any troubles with cops or boarder patrol check points. I usually carry my 9mm on the dash locked and loaded. Last time I went through a boarder patrol post they saw it but didn't really seem to care, he just asked if I was a US citizen and pretty much went on my happy way.

What I would do is tell the cop that you do have a gun in the car. It's like brownie points, but you never know what kind of day the cop is having, etc... Most you will have to worry about is being disarmed for the duration if he feels like giving you a hard time while he runs your plates anyways. If he asks about the gun tell him it is yours, given to you by yoru father. Should be no problems. A friend who is 20 carries his handgun that was given to him by his father and he OCs and carries it in his car and so far hasn't had a problem.

Just don't look like a problem and you will, most of the time, not have one.