• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What "harassment protection" does a vehicle safe offer?

psmartin

imported post

Stupid question --

When do police have the right to search your vehicle safe?

It's a VLINE safe which is wrapped through the seat-posts under the front-seat on they wifey's car with a 3/8" steel cable.

At what point do the police have the right to remove the front seat & get out the bolt cutters?

I can just see things "going downhill real fast" telling an officer, "no you can't open the safe"

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

psmartin wrote:
Stupid question --

When do police have the right to search your vehicle safe?

It's a VLINE safe which is wrapped through the seat-posts under the front-seat on they wifey's car with a 3/8" steel cable.

At what point do the police have the right to remove the front seat & get out the bolt cutters?

I can just see things "going downhill real fast" telling an officer, "no you can't open the safe"
First thing to remember is that the police do not have a right to do any thing they have only powers that we give them. Granted we have given them far to much but you must remember that the police do not have rights. That being said, they can search your locked safe only after proving the need and obtaining a warrent. By the way IANAL.

Goliath

imported post

psmartin wrote:

You have the right to say "no, you don't have my permission to search anything". Most of the times an officer just asks on every traffic stop and people say yes. Even if you do say yes, you have the right to tell him to stop at any time, or to say "you can search X, but not Y and Z". As far as things going downhill if you say no you can't open the safe, I don't think that would happen.

Goliath

ParaWarthog

imported post

Toad wrote:
the police do not have a right to do any thing they have only powers that we give them. Granted we have given them far to much

+1 +1 +1

NEVER, EVER consent to a search . . . of anything. Use your rights.

Flowmaster

imported post

if a drug dog indicates there are drugs in the box, i'm pretty sure they'll cut the cord.

any other reason, i really doubt they'd get in the box.

ProtectMd

imported post

yeah the whole flex your rights video's and whatnot are pretty smart and gives good pointers. Never consent to the search of anything. If they are looking to search my vehicle I think thats pretty suspicious as it stands because I never have anything illegal that I know of in there. This might piss some of the LEO's off but, its your rights, and if they are that persistant, let them call for the drug dog, let them get a warrant. Make a complaint.

Im the type of person who really wouldn't care if a cop searched my stuff (i don't do drugs and nothing like that..) but, it gets old them tearing your car apart, some of them aren't very respectful of your stuff, and are rude. not to mention who know's what limits they would be willing to go through to get a bust, we live in the days of people planting evidence and you name it, i'd never put myself voluntarily in a position where someone could gain the advantage over you by "finding" something after you volunteered to let them search your car.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

ProtectMd wrote:
(i don't do drugs and nothing like that..) but, it gets old them tearing your car apart, some of them aren't very respectful of your stuff,

They came for this and they came for that, but that's OK 'cause I'm not one. They came for the drugs and they came for our guns, but that's Ok 'cause it's just reasonable. Nasty but reasonable. Thanks to the Nasty Regulators Ass.

The phrase is "G'day Officer. Here is my CWP, my DL, my registration and my insurance card. I am armed, my Condition One pistol is on my hip. You do not have permission to search my car."

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

Nicky9

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
ProtectMd wrote:
(i don't do drugs and nothing like that..) but, it gets old them tearing your car apart, some of them aren't very respectful of your stuff,

The phrase is "G'day Officer. Here is my CWP, my DL, my registration and my insurance card. I am armed, my Condition One pistol is on my hip. You do not have permission to search my car."

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

If I were a LEO... the first part of your phrasewould show me RESPECT... the last part " You do not have permission to search my car." would piss me off.The officer didnt ask you that yet and if you ommited that part the officermight offer you a warning due to the respect you just showed him.Dont jump into a pissing match unless you have to... The first part is great... wait for the LEO to ask you then throw it in there. . JMO.

Oh yeah... if your gun was in a safe (in your vehicle)wouldnt you notify the officer that you have a weapon that is locked in the car safe? I would. If you handed the officer your CHL and DL then he/she askes you are you in possession and you reply "no" you just fib'd to an officer. Just throwing that out there.

LEO 229

imported post

A LEO has the authority to search the interior of the vehicle "for his safety" and then he must have a reason to believe his safety is at risk.

I can tell you here and now that the police DO NOT SEARCH every vehicle they stop. They encounter people that raise the officer'ssuspicions and thus make it happen.

If you do something to make this happen, the officer my ask "to be polite" if he can search. Remember... if he can justify it... he can just do it. Sometimes he is on a fishing expedition and really has no reason. But if YOU grant him permission... then he can go ahead.

IMO.. I would never allow anyone to search my car. It is a waste of my time. You should be cautious how you do answer. Being an ass can get you tickets he was never going to issue you.

When asked... I would say "A appreciate your asking but I have no contraband and it would be a waste of my time and yours if you did search." You can be candid when you say it.. not a hard nose jackass that "Knows the law"

As far as the locked box? He cannot force you to open it. Being that it is locked... it is not readily accessible. Same goes for the trunk.

BTW: I have watched some of those videos on YouTube. Good information!! I like where the guy gets out and locks the door when asked if the officer can search it. If your outside the car... there is no safety concern now so no search is needed.