• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU Student Body Self-Defense Bill

bellbw

imported post

A friend of mine got a copy of this from someone and sent it along to me. I will type it as accurately as possible:

SEN-X-2006-07
Sponsored by Sen. Latimer

Whereas, we are all deeply saddened by the recent event at Virginia Tech;

Whereas, a more prepared Student Body and, indeed, citizenry, could have ameliorated the crisis;

Whereas, Section III. A. 4 of the VCU Rules and Procedures states that "no person either singly or in concert with others, shall willfully have in his or her possession any firearm, other weapon, or explosive, regardless of whether a license to possess the same has been issued";

Whereas, the Commonweath of Virginia presently issues concealed carry permits on a shall-issue basis to its law-abiding citizens;

Whereas, responsible, well-trained individuals exercising their right to concealed carry would be beneficial to securing the expected level of safety in the University environment;

Let it be hereby resolved, that the Virginia Commonwealth University Monroe Park Campus Student Government Association supports striking III. A. 4 from the VCU Rules and Procedures.

Further Resolved, that the SGA respectfully confirms students' rights to conealed carry on campus, provided that all legal requirements are lawfully met.

I was told it is supposed to be "presented" tomorrow..whatever that means. This is all I really know about it. Just thought I'd share it...

mercutio545

imported post

He should have left the "concealed" part out. Not everybody in college is 21 or over. I don't turn 21 for another year. What about those people who want to carry on campus but can't because they're under 21?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
He should have left the "concealed" part out. Not everybody in college is 21 or over. I don't turn 21 for another year. What about those people who want to carry on campus but can't because they're under 21?

And then, under this proposal as amended by your idea,since 18-20 year olds could open carry there would be strongjustification for somehow also allowing 18-20 year olds to concealed carry on campustoo.

It is logical to allow18 year olds to concealed carry on campus if they are allowed toopen carry there.

Fair is fair.

Then, of course, it makes sense to allow 18 year olds to concealed carry anywhere else in the state. 18 year olds shouldn't be penalized just because they don't go to VTU...

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

bellbw wrote:
A friend of mine got a copy of this from someone and sent it along to me. I will type it as accurately as possible:

SEN-X-2006-07
Sponsored by Sen. Latimer

Whereas, we are all deeply saddened by the recent event at Virginia Tech;

Whereas, a more prepared Student Body and, indeed, citizenry, could have ameliorated the crisis;

Ameliorated definition.

What's wrong with the word "gooder"? :p

LoveMyCountry

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I think they are trying to take the first step just like the legislature tried earlier this year, if you have a CHP you can carry. This first step would defeat those that scream about lack of training and such...

mercutio545

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
I think they are trying to take the first step just like the legislature tried earlier this year, if you have a CHP you can carry. This first step would defeat those that scream about lack of training and such...
Yes, I understand that. It would also eliminate the problem of guns in freshman dorms, since only upperclassmen could carry.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

the proposal to limit to just those with a CHP is far from perfect, but is a start. Once the school finds out that students and faculty can carry a gun on campus without blood in the lawns and common rooms, then is the time to push the hole open further. Baby steps can convert sheep!

Just rembember the old story of a frog in a pot... slowly increase the heat and it won't notice that it is being cooked (changed).

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
One step at a time....

Second that.

Something IS better then NOTHING.

AT least half of the "negotiations" are complied too. Don't demand too fast, cuz EVERYTHING could be lost.

"with Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm pleased to see there are some right-minded students at VCU. Even proposing such a thing in some of our bastions of liberal left-think would cause a furor.

Since my youngest doughter will be going to VCU in Aug., I would love to see some movement on this.

You know, I was reading the list of victims from VT, and I noticed that while the women were young, generally in their late teens, most of the men were in their early to mid 20's. I wonder how many of the men in the classrooms that fateful day had valid CCW's and might have been armed were it not for VT's policy?

vt357

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
You know, I was reading the list of victims from VT, and I noticed that while the women were young, generally in their late teens, most of the men were in their early to mid 20's. I wonder how many of the men in the classrooms that fateful day had valid CCW's and might have been armed were it not for VT's policy?
I want to thankyou for calling the victims what they really were - adults. Men and women not boys and girls as the media has said.

I commend VCU for making such a statement - unfortuneately I don't see that happening at VT anytime soon. Too many people have their heads in the sand; but maybe after things settle down some people will stand up for their rights.