• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News report - open carry in Lancaster County PA area

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Holy Camoli!

Look at these LTEs in the Lancaster New Era as a result of the recent open carry article at http://local.lancasteronline.com/11/30957! Please forward.

If we could just get PA gun owners informed and motivated we could get some pro-gun reforms passed!

I'm gald that paper published the truth about OC in PA - now everyone, including police and prosecutors, should have notice that OC is legal, and, that the LTCF is an open carry permit inside vehicles andon the streets of Philadelphia.

Let's get OC going in PA this year - make it a goal - keep it low key and matter of fact, but we can make it happen.

Write lots of Letters to Editors tonewspapers too - keep 'em straight on open carry rights.

------
Recent summary (April/May 2007) of activity related to from the Lancaster NewEra:
Editor’s note: Last week’s story on openly carrying handguns in public has generated comments from around the nation. Here is a sampling. It should be noted that it is illegal to [highlight= yellow]open-[highlight= yellow]carry in a vehicle in Pennsylvania unless you have a license to [highlight= yellow]carry a firearm. Also, Park City Center has a policy against customers carrying weapons on mall property.

Outdoors Editor, New Era:

First, I absolutely respect and defend an individual’s right to own and [highlight= yellow]carry/use firearms as long as it is done in a legal and RESPONSIBLE manner.

While the individual showcased in your article certainly seems confident in the way he chooses to wear his weapon and obviously believes that making his weapon visible leaves no doubt of his ability (or ‘implied’ ability — as a man is no more ‘armed’ just because he OWNS a gun than he is a musician just because he owns a piano) to defend himself, I cannot believe someone in this day and age would willfully invite the scrutiny and potential liability in carrying a weapon like this.

We are fortunate to live in a very gun-friendly state (thank you to all the hunters out there of which I am not one). We are surrounded by states that have all but done away with reasonable gun ownership and [highlight= yellow]carry laws.

Let’s not mess things up by prompting new gun legislation because a few want to take advantage of a loophole when really there is no need to.

Pay the fee, fill out the forms and [highlight= yellow]carry your weapon and permit (preferably concealed) in a secure holster. Add to that some relevant, basic firearms training and you will be much better off all around — especially if you are unfortunate enough to have to use your weapon to defend yourself someday.

Dale Stewart

Lancaster

I just wanted to thank you for the great article you wrote on “Packing Heat in Plain view”.

I’ve had police hassle me when carrying openly, but since it’s not illegal, they cannot charge me with violating any law.

However, I HAVE known folks get charged with disorderly conduct for doing so. They beat the charge in court, but still, it’s money spent for no good reason.

It’s always nice to see a pro-gun rights article in an increasingly rights-restrictive time.

Jay Bell

Gilbertsville, Pa.

I would like to thank you for a well-written article on gun owners/carriers. It is good to see some positive publicity for gun owners. I am glad to see reporters writing about citizens that have chosen to protect themselves and their families. As we have seen, police cannot be everywhere and it is up to a citizen to protect themselves.

Keith Coleman

Erie, Pa.

Thank you for the article in Tuesday’s New Era, “Packing heat in plain view.” It showed that all gun-carrying people are not fanatics, just good, law-abiding citizens that wish to be safe. We need more articles like this to help protect our rights.

Joan Asso

Lancaster

You have provided Lancaster County with the information that they can walk around with handguns in a holster on their hip.

Most of us would qualify by law. I would qualify by law. I’m a scary-looking guy as it is. Now I know I can be a scary-looking guy walking around with a gun.

Now just imagine a bunch of scary-looking people walking around Lancaster with [highlight= yellow]guns. Is that the society of the future that you envision for Lancaster County? What a public service you have provided!

Fortunately, few people read newspapers anymore — especially the Outdoors section. If people died from handgun violence because of your column’s information,would that bother you at all?

Frank Spring

Lancaster

Thanks you for such a good and non-biased article on an issue that many people should know about. I live in the city of Lancaster and I have a license to [highlight= yellow]carry a firearm. I have considered [highlight= yellow]open [highlight= yellow]carry but was concerned with the reaction of the general public and of the authorities.

I am 55 years old with two grown children. I did not grow up in a gun family nor as a hunter. I do believe in the Second Amendment and the right of self defense. I do not believe 100 percent that just anyone should be able to own just any gun and that there should be a system to help both protect our rights but also to help screen out those that are not legally or mentally allowed to own and [highlight= yellow]carry a weapon.

Wayne Weiderman

Lancaster

Thank you for writing this article! I live in Berks County and I, too, [highlight= yellow]open [highlight= yellow]carry. I appreciate a journalist who is willing to challenge the stereotype of armed citizens as either criminals or paranoid, camouflage-wearing, anti-government rednecks. While I do admit to wearing camouflage on occasion, I am not paranoid and I believe firmly in the rule of law.

Steve Custer

Temple, Pa.

Thanks for the great gun-rights piece. I have my concealed permit and never realized it was legal to [highlight= yellow]open [highlight= yellow]carry here as well.

I don’t [highlight= yellow]carry most of the time, but when I’m deep in the woods hiking with my wife, you can bet I’ll be packin!

It was great to read someone in the paper mention Virginia Tech specifically banning [highlight= yellow]guns on campus and proclaiming everyone “safer” as a result.

Jesse Rothacker

Manheim

Thanks for writing the article. It wasvery informative as I have only lived a few months in Pennsylvania and was unaware of [highlight= yellow]open [highlight= yellow]carry.

Isabel Lyman

Manheirm Township

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Here are some more letters sent to me by the story's reporter (some might be listed above already):

-------------------------------

Your April 24th article "Packing Heat in Plain View" deserves the utmost commendation! It was very refreshing to read something about gun laws that had truth behind the story, without an agenda. There is actual proof right here in your article that guns in the hands of the right people is an exceptional crime deterrant method, if not one of the best.

I cannot emphasize enough just how important the information presented in this article is to all the citizens of Pennsylvania, not just Lancaster County. A freedom not exercised is a freedom lost. If people don't exercise, or at least understand, our basic constitutional rights it is only a matter of time before they will be revoked. Look at the demise of Philadelphia right now..... 2nd Amendment rights are on the verge of complete loss in that city. The anti-gun rhetoric of the politicians there is akin to a children's fairy tale.... all make-believe with no understanding of the social issues behind the crimes. Gun control is the "easy-out" but never provides the intended cure. Maybe our forefathers actually had a clue...........

Kudos to you for publishing such an honest article. Keep it up!!

AC

First, I absolutely respect and defend an individual's right to own and carry/use firearms as long as it is done in a legal and RESPONSIBLE manner.
While the individual showcased in your article certainly seems confident in the way he chooses to wear his weapon and obviously believes that making his weapon visible leaves no doubt of his ability (or 'implied' ability — as a man is no more 'armed' just because he OWNS a gun than he is a musician just because he owns a piano) to defend himself, I cannot believe someone in this day and age would willfully invite the scrutiny and potential liability in carrying a weapon like this.
We are fortunate to live in a very gun-friendly state (thank you to all the hunters out there of which I am not one). We are surrounded by states that have all but done away with reasonable gun ownership and carry laws.
Let’s not mess things up by prompting new gun legislation because a few want to take advantage of a loophole when really there is no need to.
Pay the fee, fill out the forms and carry your weapon and permit (preferably concealed) in a secure holster. Add to that some relevant, basic firearms training and you will be much better off all around — especially if you are unfortunate enough to have to use your weapon to defend yourself someday.
Dale Stewart
Lancaster

Thank you for the article in Tuesday's New Era, "Packing heat in plain view." It showed that all gun carrying people are not fanatics, just good, law-abiding citizens that wish to be safe. We need more articles like this to help protect our rights.
Joan Asso
Lancaster

Late in the afternoon of April 26, I heard an advocate for the prevention of domestic violence on a local talk show. She become semi-hysterical at the idea that a woman with a Protection From Abuse order against her abusive ex-partner might be able to get a handgun permit in less than 45 days!
Wait 'til she finds out that that abused woman — provided she can pass the Insta-Chek — can get her hands on a gun in ZERO days with NO waiting period to purchase a handgun.
It's debatable whether she can carry it concealed, but she can certainly buy it, take it home, load it and have it in her dresser drawer the next time her abusive ex heads for the kitchen knives.
She also was not aware that Dauphin County Sheriff Joe Lotwick is on record as saying that there is absolutely nothing illegal about carrying a handgun UN-concealed. (Howard Dean's Vermont not only allows it, it doesn't even require a permit). In Pennsylvania, Officers Nimrod and Buzzcut may pull you aside and quietly ask you why you're doing it, but again, there's nothing illegal about it.
And I wonder how many people are aware that Sarah Brady of all people — an icon of the anti-gun movement — disagreed with the preposterous 45-day waiting period.
Floyd R. Turbo
Harrisburg

I would like to thank you for a well-written article on gun owners/carriers. It is good to see some positive publicity for gun owners. I am glad to see reporters writing about citizens that have chosen to protect themselves and their families. As we have seen, police cannot be everywhere and it is up to a citizen to protect themselves.
Keith Coleman
Erie, Pa.

Thanks for writing the article. It was
very informative as I have only lived a few months in Pennsylvania and was unaware of open carry.
Isabel Lyman
Manheirm Township

Thank you very much for your article concerning open carry of firearms. It was quite fair and unbiased which is something not as common as it should be in the news media.
Please extend my thanks to your editor and all others responsible for publishing this fine article!
Roy Jackson
Windsor, Pa.

Thanks you for such a good and non-biased article on an issue that many people should know about. I live in the city of Lancaster and I have a license to carry a firearm. I have considered open carry but was concerned with the reaction of the general public and of the authorities.
I am 55 years old with two grown children. I did not grow up in a gun family nor as a hunter. I do believe in the Second Amendment and the right of self defense. I do not believe 100 percent that just anyone should be able to own just any gun and that there should be a system to help both protect our rights but also to help screen out those that are not legally or mentally allowed to own and carry a weapon.
Wayne Weiderman
Lancaster

You have provided Lancaster County with the information that they can walk around with handguns in a holster on their hip.
Most of us would qualify by law. I would qualify by law. I'm a scary-looking guy as it is. Now I know I can be a scary-looking guy walking around with a gun.
Now just imagine a bunch of scary-looking people walking around Lancaster with guns. Is that the society of the future that you envision for Lancaster County? What a public service you have provided!
Fortunately, few people read newspapers anymore — especially the Outdoors section. If people died from handgun violence because of your column’s information,would that bother you at all?
Frank Spring
Lancaster

Thank you for writing this article! I live in Berks County and I, too, open carry. I appreciate a journalist who is willing to challenge the stereotype of armed citizens as either criminals or paranoid, camouflage-wearing, anti-government rednecks. While I do admit to wearing camouflage on occasion, I am not paranoid and I believe firmly in the rule of law.
Steve Custer
Temple, Pa.

Great story about open carry. I believe we need it in this society. But, what is needed more is to get closer to God’s word. We have gotten too far away from it. That is why we are here in the shape we are in. Worldwide. I am in law enforcement.
Luis Cortez
Belton, Texas

I just wanted to thank you for the great article you wrote on "Packing Heat in Plain view".
I've had police hassle me when carrying openly, but since it’s not illegal, they cannot charge me with violating any law.
However, I HAVE known folks get charged with disorderly conduct for doing so. They beat the charge in court, but still, it's money spent for no good reason.
It's always nice to see a pro-gun rights article in an increasingly rights-restrictive time.
Jay Bell
Gilbertsville, Pa.

Thanks for the great gun-rights piece. I have my concealed permit and never realized it was legal to open carry here as well.
I don't carry most of the time, but when I'm deep in the woods hiking with my wife, you can bet I'll be packin!
It was great to read someone in the paper mention Virginia Tech specifically banning guns on campus and proclaiming everyone "safer" as a result.
Jesse Rothacker
Manheim

I just read your article "Packing heat in plain view". This was a great piece and hopefully informs people that this is completely normal for a person to do. I carry open on occasion, but there is always a risk of people getting nervous because they do not know. Even some police officers do not realize this is legal and will harass you, as I have been, over it. Thank you again for having the guts to put out an article about firearms that is not the usual bashing we see in today's media.
Thomas Rowe
McKees Rocks, Pa.