• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crib notes

Jackal

imported post

Ok guys take a look at this. This is the concealed carry law for oregon, check out the bold and underlined area. It says "resides", now I may not be interpreting this right but it looks like you can carry concealed legally in Oregon if you are travelling or live there. Whats up with that?

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:[/b]

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c) Possesses a firearm and:

(A) Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and

(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C) Has been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony;

(D) Was committed to the Department of Human Services under ORS 426.130; or

(E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness.

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor’s parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(4) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [Amended by 1979 c.779 §4; 1985 c.543 §3; 1989 c.839 §13; 1993 c.732 §1; 1993 c.735 §12; 1999 c.1040 §1; 2001 c.666 §§33,45; 2003 c.614 §8]

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Allow me to remove the confusing stuff and repeat here what it says.

This section does not prohibit Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state . . . from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen.

jhisaac1

imported post

FYI, Champoeg State Park has a "no firearms" sign at the West end picnic area. I naturally read that on my way OUT of the park. "Oops." (Concealed carry in any case.)

Jason

jhisaac1

imported post

Whoops. I should have previewed my post. This was in response to Lonnie Wilsons first post on page one of this thread. Here is what he said:

As for state parks:

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_700/OAR_736/736_010.html

Specifically OAR 736-010-0040. This used to ban possession of firearms but Oregon Firearms Federation challenged the Parks and Recreation Department under preemption. Parks and Rec folded and rewrote the rules. If there are any state park signs that prohibit firearms, please report them here and I'll gladly make the appropriate phone calls to get them taken down.
The sign at Champoeg must not have been fixed yet.

JBURGII

imported post

jhisaac1 wrote:
Puddin99 wrote:
jhisaac1

In reference to the fairgrounds, it states:

[font="Times, Times Roman, serif"](1) The following items are prohibited on the property owned or controlled ("fairgrounds") by the Oregon State Fair and Exposition Center ("OSFEC") unless specifically authorized in this rule: [/font]
[font="Times, Times Roman, serif"](d) Weapons;[/font]
[font="Times, Times Roman, serif"](2) Exceptions to the above prohibitions are limited to:[/font]
[font="Times, Times Roman, serif"](a) Weapons of law enforcement officials and those carried by persons authorized by law to carry them when carried in a manner authorized by law;[/font]

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_600/OAR_622/622_055.html

Would not a person with a permit fall into the category of 'those carried by persons authorized by law'?

Ken
Well, yeah.

Does anybody else want to take a crack at a cheat sheet? I'm not doing to well.:?

OK, where does everyone/anyone else think we can't carry?Another question would be where can we carry that most people think we can't?

Jhisaac1

(a) Weapons of law enforcement officials and those carried by persons authorized by law to carry them when carried in a manner authorized by law

Query: does this wording not allow a person OCing to enter? They are authorized by law and carrying in a

manner authorized by law? So how would it be illegal to carry... :question: