• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/concealed carry on reservations

MSgt B

imported post

We will be traveling to Arizona this summer for vacation. Our first stop will be Window Rock.

Az recognizes my Va CHL, of course, so I will be carrying concealed as I usually do.

What about going onto an indian reservation? Anyone familiar with the laws? What can I expect?

Also, if there is some place that Imust see while we are in Az, let me know; we will be traveling all over the state.

mzbk2l

imported post

MSgt B, there is a good summary at http://www.packing.org/state/arizona/ I would recommend a visit to that page.

According to them, it is up to the individual reservation. Here is the current list from their website:

To date, 20 answers have been obtained from police departments, tribal courts or the tribal chairman of Arizona's 21 reservations. The question asked was, "Do you honor the Arizona Concealed Weapon Permit on your reservation?"
  • Ak-Chin: Yes
  • Colorado River: Yes
  • Cocopah: No
  • Fort McDowell Yavapai: Yes
  • Fort Mojave: No
  • Fort Yuma-Quechan: Yes, but only in Arizona portion; weapon must be unloaded (ammunition separately secured) and exposed in California portion
  • Gila River: No; GRIC recognizes that the permit precludes prosecution but may seize firearms as a civil action; all off-road activities are prohibited without a specific permit
  • Havasupai: No
  • Hopi: Yes
  • Hualapai: No
  • Kaibab-Paiute: No
  • Navajo: Yes, if it is honored by the state surrounding that portion of the reservation
  • Pascua Yaqui: No
  • Salt River Pima-Maricopa: No
  • San Carlos Apache: Yes, but holders are expected to notify officers that they are carrying, if stopped
  • Tohono O'odham: Yes
  • Tonto Apache: No
  • White Mountain Apache: Yes
  • Yavapai Prescott: No; reservation includes shopping centers along SR 69, between Prescott Valley and Prescott
  • Yavapai-Apache: No, but the tribal court may issue tribal permit

mzbk2l

imported post

Where all over the state are you going? I live in the Phoenix area, and love it there, but there are interesting things to see all over.

I lived in Norfolk for five years before moving out to Arizona in '97, so I'm aware of the huge difference in environment. Personally, being an old car buff, I love spending time in the Arizona junkyards. If you're down around Tucson, take a cruise around the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base and see the thousands of mothballed military planes. You think you see a lot of military power in Virginia? You'll get a kick out of driving past hundreds of rows of parked jets.

Saguaro National Monument near Tucson is cool, and it's near the movie set town of Old Tucson (another fun way to spend a day).

To the east you have the Mogollon Rim country; much higher elevation with more vegetation and trees.

Between Mesa and Payson you can take the Apache trail, which ends at Roosevelt Dam.

Moving up into Nevada, the Boulder Dam is worth a trip, and once you get that far, you might as well do Vegas. :)

What kinds of things interest you (and the family)?