• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Instructions to Medical University South Carolina students in light of VA Tech tragedy

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

To: The MUSC Community

In the wake of the tragedy at Virginia Tech, I have the unfortunate but important task of ensuring you know how to respond in the unlikely event that you are faced with a violent shooting situation on campus.

This type of incident is unpredictable, and your immediate response
depends on the situation you face. The following guidelines have been developed, based on the best practices established by law enforcement experts.

If you are in the building where the shooting is occurring and it is possible to do so safety, exit the building immediately when you become aware of an incident, moving away from the immediate path of danger, and take the following steps:

1. Notify anyone you may encounter to exit the building immediately.
2. Evacuate to a safe area away from danger, and take protective
cover. Stay there until assistance arrives.
3. Call Public Safety at 792-4196 providing the dispatcher with the following information:
a. Your name
b. Location of the incident (be as specific as possible)
c. Number of shooters, if known
d. Identification or description of shooter(s)
e. Number of persons who may be involved
f. Your exact location
g. Injuries to anyone, if known

4. Individuals not immediately impacted by the situation are to take protective cover, staying away from windows and doors until notified otherwise.

If you are directly involved in an incident and exiting the building is not possible, the following actions are recommended:

1. Go to the nearest room or office.
2. Close and lock the door.
3. Turn off the lights.
4. Seek protective cover.
5. Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
6. Do not answer the door.
7. Notify Public Safety if it is safe to do so, providing the
dispatcher with the following information:
a. Your name
b. Your location (be as specific as possible)
c. Number of shooters (if known)
d. Identification or description of shooter(s)
e. Number of persons who may be involved
f. Injuries if known

8. Wait for Public safety or local police to assist you out of the building.

If you are outside, seek protective cover and stay away from the doors and windows of all buildings. If safe to do so, move as far away from the danger area as possible.

The Charleston Police Department is trained and equipped to respond to an emergency incident of this nature. During the initial phase of the incident, Public Safety will respond and evaluate the situation to determine the best course of action for safety of the MUSC community. Once the Charleston Police Department responds to campus, they will be responsible for all tactical operations.

Code:

OBXMIKE

imported post

But for goodness sake, don't even THINK about being armed or defending yourself in ANY way......just seek a corner, curl up in the fetal position, and BEG the murderer not to kill you. Trust "big brother" to come and save the day, just like at VT..........oh, wait.......that didn't work out so well.

I could just puke. :banghead:

What will it take for them to wake up and address reality. At best, we can just hope the students and parents will put pressure on the admin and they will change thier policies. Maybe when HELL freezes over.......

Kelly J

imported post

What ever happened to the program that was being taught down in Texas, which was a simple one and yes controversialbut it did make sence.

If I remember right it advocated te concept of counter attack by that, Yelling, throwing books, Chairs, and anything else you could find, and rushing the perp as a mass group, to disarm and subdue.

A lone gunman may hurt a few in this case but it is also very concevable that the situation can be ended as well.

At least you are not lined up a shot execution style, compliance is ok insome situations but if there has already been deaths involved then there is nothing to loose.

Maybe if the Students that have been involved in School shootings had done this maybe tere would have been fewer deaths, and you bet it would be a hard thing to do but then so is Dying.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The geniuses at "Public Safety" have developed some very sophisticated responses:

"Go to the nearest room...."

"Close and lock the door."

"Do not answer the door."

BG: "Knock knock!"

Student: "Who's there?":what: Oooops, I wasn't supposed to say that.:uhoh: Let's
start over".

This pap would be hilarious if the situation weren't so serious. Just pitiful......

kurtmax_0

imported post

The problem with rushing the perp is you would be alone. Most people wouldn't have the courage to do something like that. In fact, none of us know how we would react in such a situation. (Well, some might, but a majority of people wouldn't)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
The problem with rushing the perp is you would be alone. Most people wouldn't have the courage to do something like that. In fact, none of us know how we would react in such a situation. (Well, some might, but a majority of people wouldn't)

Kelly J has a good point, though. This program (sorry, I don't recall the specifics, but it was controversial) put students through training so they would know how to react in the cricumstances, and would not be as likely to stand around like sheep.

Not all people take to training well, I know, but the probability becomes much higher if you've been exposed to the circumstances in a safe environment and learned how to respond.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seems to me their just making it easier for nut jobs to kill large amounts of unarmed sheeple. The nuts watch the news and know everyones in school today and the doors are locked on these rooms so this is probably where they're hiding.

Doors and windows in these places aren't bullit proof. I'm just wandering when we will here about such an episode, hopefully never.