Thread: Question for Lonnie, or anybody else.

Post imported post

I travel to a small town in eastern Oregon (Enterprise) quite regularly. I'd like to carry but don't have a Oregon CWL. Can I open carry? If so is the vehicle a no no?

Also I would like to obtain an Oregon CWL. From what I have read thecounty sheriff can wave the residency restrictions if there is a valid "business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need" I think that I have read somewhere that Lonnie, you have a Oregon CWL. Do you mind me asking you, or any other WA resident with a OR CWL what reasons you gave and if it was very difficult to obtain your out of state CWL. Also, would I go to the county sheriff where I visit the most?

I sure appreciate any help, THANKS!!

Clint-

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

duck ninja wrote:
    I travel to a small town in eastern Oregon (Enterprise) quite regularly. I'd like to carry but don't have a Oregon CWL. Can I open carry? If so is the vehicle a no no?

Also I would like to obtain an Oregon CWL. From what I have read thecounty sheriff can wave the residency restrictions if there is a valid "business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need" I think that I have read somewhere that Lonnie, you have a Oregon CWL. Do you mind me asking you, or any other WA resident with a OR CWL what reasons you gave and if it was very difficult to obtain your out of state CWL. Also, would I go to the county sheriff where I visit the most?

I sure appreciate any help, THANKS!!

Clint-
    First question on open carry in eastern OR:

To our knowledge, there are no "loaded firearm ban" cities in Eastern Oregon. Thus far, they've been confined to Northwestern Oregon in the Portland/Salem corridor.

Remember that without a CHL, you cannot carry concealed in any "public building" (violation is a felony).

Open car carry in a belt holster is legal.

State v. Fisher, 100 Or. App. 149 (1990) “We conclude that the plain language of ORS 166.250 does not make it unlawful for a person to carry a firearm openly in a belt holster, whether or not the person is riding in a motor vehicle.”

Under ORS 166.291(8), you may apply to any Sheriff. The question here is where do you currently live. I should be able to point you in the right direction for which sheriff to go to.

Post imported post

Thanks for the info Lonnie.

I live on Camano Island WA but the town that I frequent in OR is called Enterprise. It's about an hour east of LaGrande in Wallowa county. I assume I would go to the Wallowa county sheriff. My question would be what would my valid "demonstrated need" be. Is personal protection enough of a reason?

Thanks,

Clint

Post imported post

That's sorta the point, you don't have to go to Wallowa County.

Post imported post

Since you visit eastern Oregon frequently, and I plotted a course from Camano to Enterprise going through that county, I would recommend that you contact the Umatilla County Sheriffs Office in Pendleton.

http://www.co.umatilla.or.us/hand_gun.htm

Give them a jingle and ask them a few questions. Last I heard the sheriff there considers self defense an other legitimate demonstrated need. If the sheriff in Pendleton doesn't work out, send me a PM and I'll bring you up to speed on options near the I-5 corridor.

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote: From that site:

PLACES CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE HOLDERS MAY NOT CARRY A FIREARM:

* Designated Recreation Areas on State forest lands.

* Any private business or facility which prohibits possession of firearms.

If found with a weapon on these premises, the concealed handgun license will be seized and returned to the Sheriff, and the holder may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties.
    So, a business doesn't have to ask you to leave with your handgun, and if you don't, it's just a criminal trespass. If you get caught, it's automatic loss of permit AND criminal charges. Oh my!

Not only that, it seems as if this is regardless of carrying concealed *or* openly.

Thanks!
    Greg

Post imported post

gregma wrote:
    Lonnie Wilson wrote: From that site:

PLACES CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE HOLDERS MAY NOT CARRY A FIREARM:

* Designated Recreation Areas on State forest lands.

* Any private business or facility which prohibits possession of firearms.

If found with a weapon on these premises, the concealed handgun license will be seized and returned to the Sheriff, and the holder may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties.
    So, a business doesn't have to ask you to leave with your handgun, and if you don't, it's just a criminal trespass. If you get caught, it's automatic loss of permit AND criminal charges. Oh my!

Not only that, it seems as if this is regardless of carrying concealed *or* openly.

Thanks!
    Greg

This is a common statement across the state, and it's completely and totally wrong. I believe that those "rules" are preempted in the first place, and Oregon has no "violate a sign and you're automatically trespassing" law.