View Poll Results: How much ammo do you ordinarily carry?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Semi-auto, 11 rounds or less, no extra mag

11 13.25%
  • Semi-auto, 11 rounds or less, 1 extra mag

13 15.66%
  • Semi-auto, 11 rounds or less, 2 extra mags

8 9.64%
  • Semi-auto, 12 rounds or more, no extra mag

16 19.28%
  • Semi-auto, 12 rounds or more, 1 extra mag

19 22.89%
  • Semi-auto, 12 rounds or more, 2 extra mags

9 10.84%
  • Revo, no extra ammo

3 3.61%
  • Revo, 1 extra cylinder reload

2 2.41%
  • Revo, 2 extra cylinder reloads

2 2.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Ammo Do You Carry?

Post imported post

How much ammo do you carry in a normal (for you) or most frequent (for you) carry situation? Open or concealed. Just the ammo on your person.

There are options for both revolvers and semi-autos. Pick the one closest to your situation. I assume that your gun is at least fully loaded but may or may not have one in the pipe on semi-autos.

For the semi-autos, the break intended is at 10 rounds in the mag with an option for 1 in the pipe, total 11.

For revos, all cylinder capacities (5, 6, 7, 8) considered the same.

Post imported post

depends on the day, and which carry gun, but both with an extra mag - 15 and 15 when going to the "fun" areas of town.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Post imported post

I carry a 1911 ,45 with 9 in the gun and 2 extra 8 round mags for a total of 25.

When I carry a 7 shot .357 revolver, it is with 2 cylinder re-loads for a total of 21.

Then there is my BUG a .22 auto with 11 in the gun and 2 extra 10 round mags, for a total of 31

Post imported post

High-capacity semi-auto, usually not an extra round in the chamber (too lazy to bother), always one spare mag.

-ljp

edit: I should qualify this... I have to carry at work, where we have a lot of valuable stuff and may well end up the target of a group of armed scumbags intent on strong-arm robbery, so I do legitimately need high-capacity with reloads (we have other backup pieces also). I just OC with the same gear by default, even though I don't expect a "firefight" outside of work.

Post imported post

5 rounds should do it.

Post imported post

reefteach wrote:
    5 rounds should do it.

Statistically, reefteach is absolutely correct. When I took a required course to get a MN CC permit I remember that the instructor stated that the majority of self-defense shootings involved 5 or fewer rounds. He added that there's a difference in being prepared for a situation calling for a defensive use of a firearm versus being prepared for a firefight. I agree. Nonetheless I don't want my life to be in the hands of what's merely a "statistical probability" when it's within my power to do otherwise. Therefore, usually I choose to carry two extra 15 round mags for the Glock 35. More often I have a Glock 23 and then I have 3 additional mags with 12 rounds in each.

Oh, and even though it's not "carried" I have a Mini-14 in the cartrunk with a 20 and 30 round mag. Plus a tool box containing an assortment of the most common calibers I use: .22, 9mm, .40, .223, 12 ga 00 buck and slugs. Good thing I'm not a "gun nut" or I might not travel so lightly armed.:P

My girlfriend carries a Glock 34 with 2 or 3 extra mags. But she really wants to carry her Winchester 94!

Simply put: We are of the "better to have and not need, than need and not have" school.

The police here are required to have at least one full reload for their sidearm, and from what I have observed, most carry two reloads. I don't have the convenience of calling for backup, so I choose to be prepared for a little old fashioned self-reliance.

I haveno problem with what reefteach says.Five rounds should do it!

A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

My carry habits would make an anti absolutely spit and cuss. That prospect is actually what tempts me most to try OC.

Post imported post

10+1 in the pipe. ! extra mag (10 rounds) in my car, but I shouldn't need more than 3 shots

Post imported post

Not etched in stone.....

If I am just going to the grocery store/a quick trip
    no spare mag, might top off a mag if 12 or less capacity.

If I will be out for an extended period of time.
    less than 14, 1 spare mag.

Working at the gun shop, 2 spares of .40 or .357sig(12 capacity). 1 spare of 9mm/16rds.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Jeeze- compared to some, I guess Im ready for war.

Generally, I carry my pistol with one extra magazine (note: not "clip") giving me a total of 30 rounds of expendable ammunition on me. I have two other magazines- one 15 rounds and the other, 10 that I keep in my vehicle. I also have a B.O.B. with two boxes of ammo cached with my gear.

So assuming Im in my vehicle, Id have 155 rounds available. (Not that I think I need this much, but look at it this way- Im not likely to run out beforeB.G.'sdoand can drop bya range to enjoy some target practive on a moments notice.)
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

37 rounds for the primary G23(12+1 in the pistol and 2 spares), 7 more if you count the P3AT. The best reason for carrying spares after you can never have enough ammo is that it balances out the pistol on my belt.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    High-capacity semi-auto, usually not an extra round in the chamber (too lazy to bother), always one spare mag.
    Just a little semantic quibble to avoidgiving any ground to thegun-grabbers:No such thing as "high-capacity." They're normal-capacity. 15, 16, 17 are all pretty common.18 and 21 isn't any vast stretch from there. High capacity is one of the gun-grabbers' hot-button scary words.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I was just referring to "high capacity" as defined in the poll - more than the 10+1 configuration he specified for the "low" end. Call it "higher" if you like. I need more than a 6-shooter at work, so I'm glad to call it "high capacity" for my own part. It might give some scumbag pause before he undertakes a robbery.

-ljp

Post imported post

I generally carry empty, with one in my shirt pocket. Andy wouldn't have it any other way.

State Researcher

Post imported post

12+1 and 12 mag (SW99 .40) or 7+1 and 7 mag (PPK/s .380). I only own two mags for each at the moment, so I don't have the option to carry more than that. If and when I DO get more mags, I still probably wont carry more than one extra mag. I don't ever expect to need more than 8-13 rounds, BUT I've just always felt funny without the reload....

Ok, so there have been times when I've carried 12+1, and 12 AND 7+1 and 7, hehe. Thats only when I just feel like openly carrying with a concealed back-up.

Post imported post

16 rounds in Weapon two 15 round Mags, If this ain't enough I'm in the wrong fight.

Post imported post

5 in the cylinder, extra cash in the sixth under the hammer and 24 extra rounds in the belt loops.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Legba wrote:

-ljp

edit: I should qualify this... I have to carry at work, where we have a lot of valuable stuff and may well end up the target of a group of armed scumbags intent on strong-arm robbery, so I do legitimately need high-capacity with reloads (we have other backup pieces also). I just OC with the same gear by default, even though I don't expect a "firefight" outside of work.
    what do you do for a living?

Post imported post

I work inthe gun department attached to a pawn shop, so we have a lot of valuable stuff around. It's also in a marginal neigborhood, so I'm sure we're on someone's radar as a potantial target for ripoffs.

-ljp

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Smokewagon wrote:
    5 in the cylinder, extra cash in the sixth under the hammer and 24 extra rounds in the belt loops.
    Ahhh. Warms the heart.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

By far, it looks like people carry 1 or 2 additional mags. People like to be prepared.

I feel kind of, um, minimalist with my measly 5 shot J-frame with no reload. :?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

With my .45 I have 8 in the gun, (one in the pipe) and two extra 8 rd mags. Better to have bullets and not need them...

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    By far, it looks like people carry 1 or 2 additional mags. People like to be prepared.

Happiness is a pocket full of speed loader's

Post imported post

1st freedom wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Happiness is a pocket full of speed loader's
    I do havesome Bianchi speed strips. Maybe I'll start carrying one again. Those are easier than the speedloaders. I just don't want to be a walking 'arsenal.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast