• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Much Ammo Do You Carry?

How much ammo do you ordinarily carry?

• Semi-auto, 11 rounds or less, no extra mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Semi-auto, 11 rounds or less, 1 extra mag

• Semi-auto, 11 rounds or less, 2 extra mags

• Semi-auto, 12 rounds or more, no extra mag

• Semi-auto, 12 rounds or more, 1 extra mag

• Semi-auto, 12 rounds or more, 2 extra mags

• Revo, no extra ammo

• Revo, 1 extra cylinder reload

• Revo, 2 extra cylinder reloads

• Total voters

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

How much ammo do you carry in a normal (for you) or most frequent (for you) carry situation? Open or concealed. Just the ammo on your person.

There are options for both revolvers and semi-autos. Pick the one closest to your situation. I assume that your gun is at least fully loaded but may or may not have one in the pipe on semi-autos.

For the semi-autos, the break intended is at 10 rounds in the mag with an option for 1 in the pipe, total 11.

For revos, all cylinder capacities (5, 6, 7, 8) considered the same.

sitedzn

imported post

depends on the day, and which carry gun, but both with an extra mag - 15 and 15 when going to the "fun" areas of town.

tarzan1888

imported post

I carry a 1911 ,45 with 9 in the gun and 2 extra 8 round mags for a total of 25.

When I carry a 7 shot .357 revolver, it is with 2 cylinder re-loads for a total of 21.

Then there is my BUG a .22 auto with 11 in the gun and 2 extra 10 round mags, for a total of 31

Legba

imported post

High-capacity semi-auto, usually not an extra round in the chamber (too lazy to bother), always one spare mag.

-ljp

edit: I should qualify this... I have to carry at work, where we have a lot of valuable stuff and may well end up the target of a group of armed scumbags intent on strong-arm robbery, so I do legitimately need high-capacity with reloads (we have other backup pieces also). I just OC with the same gear by default, even though I don't expect a "firefight" outside of work.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

reefteach wrote:
5 rounds should do it.

Statistically, reefteach is absolutely correct. When I took a required course to get a MN CC permit I remember that the instructor stated that the majority of self-defense shootings involved 5 or fewer rounds. He added that there's a difference in being prepared for a situation calling for a defensive use of a firearm versus being prepared for a firefight. I agree. Nonetheless I don't want my life to be in the hands of what's merely a "statistical probability" when it's within my power to do otherwise. Therefore, usually I choose to carry two extra 15 round mags for the Glock 35. More often I have a Glock 23 and then I have 3 additional mags with 12 rounds in each.

Oh, and even though it's not "carried" I have a Mini-14 in the cartrunk with a 20 and 30 round mag. Plus a tool box containing an assortment of the most common calibers I use: .22, 9mm, .40, .223, 12 ga 00 buck and slugs. Good thing I'm not a "gun nut" or I might not travel so lightly armed.:p

My girlfriend carries a Glock 34 with 2 or 3 extra mags. But she really wants to carry her Winchester 94!

Simply put: We are of the "better to have and not need, than need and not have" school.

The police here are required to have at least one full reload for their sidearm, and from what I have observed, most carry two reloads. I don't have the convenience of calling for backup, so I choose to be prepared for a little old fashioned self-reliance.

I haveno problem with what reefteach says.Five rounds should do it!

VAopencarry

imported post

Not etched in stone.....

If I am just going to the grocery store/a quick trip
no spare mag, might top off a mag if 12 or less capacity.

If I will be out for an extended period of time.
less than 14, 1 spare mag.

Working at the gun shop, 2 spares of .40 or .357sig(12 capacity). 1 spare of 9mm/16rds.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Jeeze- compared to some, I guess Im ready for war.

Generally, I carry my pistol with one extra magazine (note: not "clip") giving me a total of 30 rounds of expendable ammunition on me. I have two other magazines- one 15 rounds and the other, 10 that I keep in my vehicle. I also have a B.O.B. with two boxes of ammo cached with my gear.

So assuming Im in my vehicle, Id have 155 rounds available. (Not that I think I need this much, but look at it this way- Im not likely to run out beforeB.G.'sdoand can drop bya range to enjoy some target practive on a moments notice.)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

37 rounds for the primary G23(12+1 in the pistol and 2 spares), 7 more if you count the P3AT. The best reason for carrying spares after you can never have enough ammo is that it balances out the pistol on my belt.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Legba wrote:
High-capacity semi-auto, usually not an extra round in the chamber (too lazy to bother), always one spare mag.
Just a little semantic quibble to avoidgiving any ground to thegun-grabbers:No such thing as "high-capacity." They're normal-capacity. 15, 16, 17 are all pretty common.18 and 21 isn't any vast stretch from there. High capacity is one of the gun-grabbers' hot-button scary words.

Legba

imported post

I was just referring to "high capacity" as defined in the poll - more than the 10+1 configuration he specified for the "low" end. Call it "higher" if you like. I need more than a 6-shooter at work, so I'm glad to call it "high capacity" for my own part. It might give some scumbag pause before he undertakes a robbery.

-ljp

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

12+1 and 12 mag (SW99 .40) or 7+1 and 7 mag (PPK/s .380). I only own two mags for each at the moment, so I don't have the option to carry more than that. If and when I DO get more mags, I still probably wont carry more than one extra mag. I don't ever expect to need more than 8-13 rounds, BUT I've just always felt funny without the reload....

Ok, so there have been times when I've carried 12+1, and 12 AND 7+1 and 7, hehe. Thats only when I just feel like openly carrying with a concealed back-up.

Smokewagon

imported post

5 in the cylinder, extra cash in the sixth under the hammer and 24 extra rounds in the belt loops.;)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:

-ljp

edit: I should qualify this... I have to carry at work, where we have a lot of valuable stuff and may well end up the target of a group of armed scumbags intent on strong-arm robbery, so I do legitimately need high-capacity with reloads (we have other backup pieces also). I just OC with the same gear by default, even though I don't expect a "firefight" outside of work.

what do you do for a living?

Legba

imported post

I work inthe gun department attached to a pawn shop, so we have a lot of valuable stuff around. It's also in a marginal neigborhood, so I'm sure we're on someone's radar as a potantial target for ripoffs.

-ljp