• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huckabee's son arrested with handgun

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://tinyurl.com/3ypkde

By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer 42 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - David Huckabee, a son of Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, was arrested at an Arkansas airport Thursday after a federal X-ray technician detected a loaded Glock pistol in his carry-on luggage.

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after being summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."

Huckabee, 26, later pleaded guilty in Little Rock District Court after being charged with a misdemeanor count of possessing a weapon in a prohibited place.
"It was a silly mistake," Huckabee told reporters as he left the Pulaski County Jail. When asked whether it would affect his father's presidential campaign, Huckabee responded, "It shouldn't."

District Judge Lee Munson gave Huckabee a one-year suspended jail sentence and ordered him into 10 days of community service — which Huckabee can avoid by paying $100. Huckabee will be on probation for a year. Fines and costs totaled $855.
The son of the former Arkansas governor held a concealed weapons permit at the time of the incident but state police are taking steps to revoke it. The elder Huckabee, who said last week that Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho perhaps could have been stopped if a teacher or student had also been armed, also has a concealed weapons permit.

"My wife and I love our son. What he did was irresponsible but not intentional," Mike Huckabee said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.
Nugent said David Huckabee had a .40-caliber Glock pistol in his black carry-on bag. Eight live rounds were in the gun — none in the chamber — and a nine-round clip was also in the bag. The weapon and ammunition were detained by Little Rock police while David Huckabee's gun permit was seized and given to the Arkansas State Police.

Mike Huckabee said his son grabbed the bag on the way to the airport and didn't realize the gun was inside.
"It's one of those stupid things," Mike Huckabee said. "He knows better."
___
Associated Press Writer Liz Sidoti in Boston contributed to this report.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Actually. I'm sure a glock would be undetectable. That is... if you removed the slide, barrel, etc :p

Then you have a.... uh... glock.... thing.

Oh, and I'm sure the metal in the bullets, or even the spring in the magazine maybe. So no bullets either!

It is rather stupid to accidently bring a firearm into an airport's restricted section. I would always check my baggage personally before leaving for the airport and not let it out of my sight. This would be especially important when travelling to other countries. If someone plants drugs or something in your baggage, it's game over for your life....

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have to ask....

How many guns do you have to own before you forget where you leave the loaded ones?

How stupid do you have to be to leave a loaded weapon in an unlocked bag that you leave lying around your house?

How heavy does your bag have to be before you don't realize any more that there is LEAD in it?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Tess,

Hey, elephants may not forget, but humans do.

I have taken a gun to the airport twice forgetting it was on my person...mine are so comfortable to wear and so easy to forget about...until you need it of course.

Point is, it can happen to anyone...even you. When it does someday, remember what you said here...and give the guy a break.

"Never Say Never" ...or Always.

-- John D.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee has issued the following comment in response to the arrest of his son:

" I love my son but what he did was irresponsible, but not intentional. The right to carry a firearm has to be balanced with an equal responsibility to not make foolish errors like forgetting about it being in one's briefcase. He was treated courteously and professionally but received no special treatment and he shouldn't have.

"David has to accept full responsibility and the consequences of his actions as any other adult -- and he is doing that. I make no excuses for him and would expect him to accept whatever penalties are given. It is the court's responsibility to properly consequence him for a foolish act but his family's responsibility to love him and temper our disappointment with our support.”

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=44921

That's class.

Contrast the above to the Phillip Thompson/Jim Webb fiasco with theblack hole that all the information about the gun got sucked into.

What's wrong with acceptingfull blamefor an act of irresponsibility? It's the ethical thing to do. Why do people always want to get out of it, to give, or get a break? Well, not everyone. Huckabee, both of them, seem to be doing the stand-up thing.

People shouldn't be sloppy with guns. Bad for everyone.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Tess,

Hey, elephants may not forget, but humans do.

I have taken a gun to the airport twice forgetting it was on my person...mine are so comfortable to wear and so easy to forget about...until you need it of course.

Point is, it can happen to anyone...even you. When it does someday, remember what you said here...and give the guy a break.

"Never Say Never" ...or Always.

-- John D.

Okay, i'll grant they can be comfortable, but I hope I never become so immune as to forget I'm carrying it. Perhaps that's idealistic.

Perhaps I'm also extremely conscious because I have to make the choice on a daily basis - if I'm going on to a military base that day, I have to leave the gun at home.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

From the article
federal X-ray technician detected a loaded Glock pistol in his carry-on luggage.

"I removed the bag and asked Mr. Huckabee if he knew what he had in the bag," Little Rock police officer Arthur Nugent wrote in a report after being summoned to a security checkpoint. "He replied he did now."
Sounds like he had it in the bag and forgot about it. Most likely it was where he always carried it.

OR

He is really an international terrorist know as Imgonna Byteurhynne and he was stopped just in time!:what:

LoveMyCountry

VAopencarry

imported post

Tess, please take pity on us. Today I became one of 'them'. I was heading to Maryland, did my usual check, made sure I was defensless before heading out the door. I don't normally carry off body but I had this week when I was out of town. Well, I had my Maxpedition bag with me and remembered I had a handgun in there.

Too late I was already in MD. Instant felon!! Continued to my destination, in the Baltimore 'burbs, checking mirrors, not speeding, heart palpitating. Upon arrival unloaded and put it in the trunk. Had to make a trip into the city before heading back to the Great Commonwealth of Virginia. At least I didn't get caught.:shock:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Tess, please take pity on us. Today I became one of 'them'. I was heading to Maryland, did my usual check, made sure I was defensless before heading out the door. I don't normally carry off body but I had this week when I was out of town. Well, I had my Maxpedition bag with me and remembered I had a handgun in there.

Too late I was already in MD. Instant felon!! Continued to my destination, in the Baltimore 'burbs, checking mirrors, not speeding, heart palpitating. Upon arrival unloaded and put it in the trunk. Had to make a trip into the city before heading back to the Great Commonwealth of Virginia. At least I didn't get caught.:shock:

Well, okay, since you asked nicely :).

Remember, too, I never leave a firearm out - in a bag or elsewhere - especially not a loaded one, but I have different circumstances in my house. So I guess my perspective is different from "normal" people.