Thread: Maine Restaurant Carry

Post imported post

If I read the statue correctly

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons... (Title 17A Chapter 43 §1057)

then if the restaruant is NOT POSTED with a "gun buster" sign, then you may carry in the establishment? Opinions?

I don't have a non-resident permit and will be in NH and Maine towards the end of May, so I will be open carry. The last time I was up there I didn't eat at a restaruant, but did go into Kittery Trading Post with no problems. I understand the car carry, so no questions there.

Paul

Post imported post

Paul,

I live in Maine, and yes your interpretation is correct. However, you cannot have a loadedpistol in a vehicle in Maine without a concealed carry permit. Open carry is fine though. And yes, you can carry in a liquor establishment or restaraunt that serves liquor, as long as it is not posted to restrict firearms. I only remember seeing 2 establishments in Mainethat were posted and they were both bars in Portland, so it is not very common to see restaraunts or barsthat post their premises.

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply. I will be in Portsmouth, NH tomorrow.

Paul

Post imported post

Let me know how your open carry experience went.

Brent