• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Webb's pistol packing pal

sjhipple

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Webb professes to be pro-gun and seems to mean it. Has he voted otherwise?
It's not his votes, it's his lack of votes, and lack of initiating bills he said he would. (national reciprocity, anyone?)

I see. I've always kinda liked Webb...as far as Dems go, he seemsalot better than the others (not that the competition is thatfierce). I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

So he said he'd initiate a national reciprocity bill and never did? I don't like the idea of national reciprocity anyway. I'm a states' rights guy.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Webb professes to be pro-gun and seems to mean it. Has he voted otherwise?
It's not his votes, it's his lack of votes, and lack of initiating bills he said he would. (national reciprocity, anyone?)

He finally co-sponsored S.388 (National Reciprocity). It was introduced on 1/25/07 and he co-sponsored on 10/24/07. I wrote him no fewer than five times on the issue, with no response.

Now he can campaign to the NRA and others who'll listen that he "co-sponsored legislation to ..."

Not a leader. A follower who'll do as his bosses tell him. Note he still hasn't introduced National Park carry, nor has he had any kind of a "let's get this through" on 388.

A hypocritical wimp.

When he was first elected, I was not unhappy. Despite having voted for his opponent (who was railroaded for an innocent comment), I figured we could count on Webb as well. One of his first statements after his election, though, had to do with his party knowing he wasn't a maverick and could be counted on.

And I'm still waiting for a response from his office.

XD Owner

imported post

I might see my Senator Webb in the near future. I'll ask him about the National Parks thing. Did he flat out promise to introduce legislation to override the Nat'l Park Service's regs banning guns in National Parks?

I've already been asked if I'll carry the Senator's gun if he comes through Kuwait. I said happy to do so.

IanB

imported post

Promise much he did

Deliver nothing he has

Mmmmmmmmmmm?

Yoda.sized.jpg

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
I might see my Senator Webb in the near future. I'll ask him about the National Parks thing. Did he flat out promise to introduce legislation to override the Nat'l Park Service's regs banning guns in National Parks?

I've already been asked if I'll carry the Senator's gun if he comes through Kuwait. I said happy to do so.

Here's the link: http://vgoc.org/?page_id=31 It's dated Nov 24, 2006

An excerpt from this article reads:

"In a twist, an Oct. 30 campaign letter by Jim Webb — the Democrat who narrowly defeated Allen — shows that he promised to introduce similar legislation.
“And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote,” added Webb, who also noted his possession for many years of a concealed-carry permit and his regular shooting activity. A spokesman for the senator-elect said Wednesday that Webb had not studied the Allen bill.

glocknroll

imported post

ProtectMd wrote:
It just goes to show that DC's gun laws and restrictions only apply to the law abidingresidents and not criminals or politicians. The criminals do what they want, and the politicians weasel, bargain and buy their way out of allegations, charges, and felonies.

Webb's bud(Thompson?) was arrested trying to carry the gun into the Capitol building. This is federal property. DC has no jurisdiction. This is about federal law.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

glocknroll wrote:
ProtectMd wrote:
It just goes to show that DC's gun laws and restrictions only apply to the law abidingresidents and not criminals or politicians. The criminals do what they want, and the politicians weasel, bargain and buy their way out of allegations, charges, and felonies.

Webb's bud(Thompson?) was arrested trying to carry the gun into the Capitol building. This is federal property. DC has no jurisdiction. This is about federal law.

Webb is suspected of moving about DC with his concealed gun. He doesn't deny it when asked about it.

Webb is a classic one set of rules for you, one set of rulesfor me guy.

glocknroll

imported post

HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
ProtectMd wrote:

Webb is suspected of moving about DC with his concealed gun. He doesn't deny it when asked about it.

Agreed. I don't think there are many politicians who don't think that way.

Slowhand

imported post

Citizen wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Tess wrote
ProtectMd - why did you have to be redundant? Aren't "criminals" and "politicians" the same?
Not exactly, politicians are just one type of criminal...

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said, "There is no American distinctly criminal class, except Congress."

I think he also said something like, "If I said you were a Congressman, and I called you an idiot--but, I repeat myself."

Uncle Jay Explains Congress.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/26b0d09397

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

glocknroll wrote:
HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
ProtectMd wrote:

Agreed. I don't think there are many politicians who don't think that way.
True. But Webb is pretty pugnacious about it. More so than most. He will hurt the gun rights side before he's through.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:

While I don't disagree, I refuse also to judge based on "suspected of". He neither confirms nor denies.

Face it, the guy is a consummate politician.

$20 says if the Dems are not successful in Nov08, he'll be the golden child in 12.

TEX1N

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
I see. I've always kinda liked Webb...as far as Dems go, he seemsalot better than the others (not that the competition is thatfierce). I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

So he said he'd initiate a national reciprocity bill and never did? I don't like the idea of national reciprocity anyway. I'm a states' rights guy.
I've heard this argument again national reciprocity from a few people. I'm also a states' rights guy, but I also support a national reciprocity bill. Mainly because I believe the RKBA is a natural right recognized by the federal constitution. Therefore, I don't have any problem with the feds taking steps (no matter how small) to force the states to recognize that right (even if it's only part of that right).

I also don't think the national reciprocity bill would violate a state's sovereignty. Mainly because it would not affect the states that recognize the RKBA (i.e. AK & VT). These states already recognize the right of people to carry concealed or openly without a permit, and if national reciprocity passed it would not force these two states to do anything! However, it would take a little of the power to regulate firearms from the other states and give it back to the people, where it belongs.

The main problem I have with your argument, against the national reciprocity because of states' rights, is that it implies a collective right to keep and bear arms, and not an individual right.

Thundar

imported post

Tess wrote:
XD Owner wrote:

Here's the link: http://vgoc.org/?page_id=31 It's dated Nov 24, 2006

An excerpt from this article reads:

"In a twist, an Oct. 30 campaign letter by Jim Webb — the Democrat who narrowly defeated Allen — shows that he promised to introduce similar legislation.
“And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote,” added Webb, who also noted his possession for many years of a concealed-carry permit and his regular shooting activity. A spokesman for the senator-elect said Wednesday that Webb had not studied the Allen bill.
I just sent an e-mail to Senator Webb. You can leave comments for him here:

http://webb.senate.gov/contact/

My e-mail:

Dear Senator Webb,

If you are unable to keep your word to gunowners, how could we consider supporting Mark Warner next year?

You ran on a pro gun platform in which you promised to introduce significant legislation in support of our civil right to keep and bear firearms.

To date I cannot see any firearms legislation that you have introduced.

Virginia Gunowners have taken you at your word, and on that word the majority party in the U.S. Senate changed.

Please tell me if you are going to keep your word and what gun legislation you are going to introduce.

Thank you for your time.

XD Owner

imported post

Well, I did get to ask Senator Webb about why he has not yet introduced legislation to allowgun owners to carry in National Parks.

He first replied that he has been busy on a lot of other issues, but the incident with his aide also has slowed him down. I take that to mean that he doesn't feel that the time has been right and he needs more time to elapse before he would introduce such legislation.

With that said, he is still interested in doing it. For example, he said he would like to carry while driving on the GW Parkway (which is Federal Park land). He said if he got stopped, they would know he had a CHP after they run his license plate through their different databases.

I thanked him for co-sponsoring S. 388. He is genuinely a pro-gun guy, but he doesn't quite have the gumption to follow through on that particular campaign promise at this time. Maybe this spring?

All Virginians who want to carry in National Parks should keep writing him to remind him of his promise.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Appreciate your talking to him, but I don't believe him for a second.

NINE MONTHS to cosponsor S.388?

I've heard at least one blogger mention him as a possible hillary running mate. now that's scary.

mlands

imported post

IfHillary does choose Webb as a running mate I guess that is to satisfyall the gun owners. This is in the same tune asthosepoliticalduck huntingtrips taken months before the election byleft wing liberals running for office.Like we are all stupid, mindless drones that would believe we would forget herlove ofanti gun organizations or thoseanti gun laws that she fully supports. Having Webb as herrunning mate would belike putting earrings on a pig.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mlands wrote:
IfHillary does choose Webb as a running mate I guess that is to satisfyall the gun owners. This is in the same tune asthosepoliticalduck huntingtrips taken months before the election byleft wing liberals running for office.Like we are all stupid, mindless drones that would believe we would forget herlove ofanti gun organizations or thoseanti gun laws that she fully supports. Having Webb as herrunning mate would belike putting earrings on a pig.
How would choosing Webb help her with that cause? Many gun owners know better about him.