• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carring In public open

BullDog

imported post

The other day while shopping In a Major Grocery store here in Midland Michigan, a faily large City, I saw a person in the store with a Bail Bond agent shirt on, Badge around his neck, carring Openly in a holster a pistol, in full veiw, Is this leagal?

mattjohnston87

imported post

I wonder what the badge was for...

But to answer your question,yes:

[align=center]

Michigan

Summary
Michigan is a traditional open carry state. Open carry is more common in rural areas. You may NOT open carry in a car without a permit. However, Michigan recognizes the resident permits of all 50 states.

mi-flag.gif

Legal Disclaimer
We make every effort to provide correct information on this site. However, the legal landscape surrounding open carry is fluid and subject to a myriad of political influences in the various states. Therefore, any and all information you glean from this site should be independently verified!

Forum
To read real open carry stories from Michigan or to contribute your own, click here

State Constitution
Declaration of Rights, Article I, Section 6

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Minimum Age to OC
Being Researched

Preemption
Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms

Open Car Carry
Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with a permit/license.

Places Off Limits
General Prohibitions Available at Packing.org

Open Carry Specific Prohibitions
  • None

State Law

Official Documents

State Organizations

Local Ordinances

Concealed Carry
Available at Packing.org [/align]

blk

imported post

Bail Bondsmen are typically officers of the Court and, therefore, are authorized to open carry while on duty. Private Processors are in the same catagory.

The badge shows that they are officers of the Court.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

blk wrote:
Bail Bondsmen are typically officers of the Court and, therefore, are authorized to open carry while on duty. Private Processors are in the same catagory.

The badge shows that they are officers of the Court.

But under MI law, a bail bondsmen need not be on duty to carry openly - he can carry under his citizen rights as well, as should more people in Michigan.

My family owns a stretch of land in MI - hmmmm, maybe an open Carry road trip is in order?

Leader

imported post

Yes, open carry is legal in MI.

A bail Bond agent is just another name for a bounty hunter & the badge doesn't mean anything.

The laws governing transporting a handgun in MI are VERY restrictive. Pretty much, you have to have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) to transport any handgun.

I open carry most of the time even though I have a CPL.