• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st pistol - going to open carry

compmanio365

imported post

I got the call from the Gun and Bow down here on Pacific Ave. yesterday that they got an OK on my application for a pistol, so I could come pick it up today. Just picked it up along with an extra mag and holster to carry it all in. :D

Going to open carry today while I am out running errands. I'll let you know how it goes.

meopen.jpg

wifeholding.jpg

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

You the Man... and the Woman. :lol:

Know your rights. Know the laws. Stand firm on both.

LoveMyCountry

P.S. You might want to resize those pics. 1280 x 1024 is2-4 times bigger than you want on a forum.

reefteach

imported post

It is getting late and no update. We will all just assume that you caused mass hysteria and are currently being beaten and tortured by Homeland Security.:cry:

2A-XD-45-ACP

imported post

Now that's funny... assuming that it's NOT true... Mass hysteria and beaten by HS. Ahh that was a good one. I love this group.

Hi-point 40 or 45? Either way it's $150 well spent toward securing your 2A right. And a lifetime warranty to boot.

Carry safe, it's definitely a lifestyle change (choice). Congrats on the new "tool".

compmanio365

imported post

Sorry, was out late with friends. Carried all around town today, being careful to unload each time I got into the car :cuss: (no CPL yet....)

There were a couple of nervous glances (made sure to make eye contact and smile :)), but nobody said anything, and I never even saw a cop anywhere, so I guess it went rather well.

And I was out on 38th street where my friends live, and nobody passing by even looked my way (on 38th, maybe not that uncommon, if you know Tacoma), and being out there late I have to say I felt better knowing that I was carrying.

Sorry about the picture size, I have my screen resolution fairly high so it doesn't seem big to me.

It is a HP .45ACP. Big, heavy and mean looking..... :lol:

Mainsail

imported post

Just a minor point, but try running the retention strap around the rear of the slide instead of in the web like you have it in the picture. This allows you to establish your grip while simultaneously releasing the strap. In a panic situation you can end up gripping the retention strap along with the gun and become tangled.

cff34607-d3c8-40da-9229-828e03af70e7.jpg

Mainsail

imported post

My first open carry experience was somewhat anticlimactic. I went to lunch at Annabelle’s down on Pacific Ave, nobody noticed or else nobody cared. Since I drive an old cop car Crown Vic, I doubt anyone would say anything if they saw me getting out of the car, but I had to park way down by the starbux so I walked about a block.

As I was walking back to my car I passed a campus security guy checking the doors on the bookstore there, he was in front of me so he never even saw it. I was sorta hoping to see his reaction, what with he being unarmed and all.

retrodad

imported post

Nice Hi-Point :) ... been meaning to get one. They're so affordable and easy to shoot (according to GunTests), how could one resist?

compmanio365

imported post

Went out and shot this yesterday, like the feel of it, not really much recoil for a .45 (guess all that weight really helps :?), and fairly accurate, although I think I was the one causing the inaccuracy that I did see (been a month or more since I went out shooting last...). All in all definately worth the $170 and more.

retrodad

imported post

Don't be too quick to attribute recoil handling to your weight. The nice handling of that pistol has been reported by people of many different 'calibers'. :)