• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What type of ammo is best

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

So I have been to the range a couple of times in the past two weeks. I am shooting a .22 lr s/w, I was indeed shooting garbage (550 rounds for 10.50 at meijer, and unlike walmart they let you buy ammo while you are carrying a firearm, just be prepared to show a permit or license)

So I took the advice from the man at the range and bought his CCI ammunition, he told me the gun would never jam again if i used this type of ammo, or at least rarely.

I cleaned the gun, and shot with the CCI (40 grain compared to the 30 grain garbage) and it still stuck up a few times on me, not enough to call it rare, but not always, at least 1 time every 2 or 3 magazines.

At anyrate, the gun is clean and I am using better ammunition, do they make a higher grain round than 40 for a .22? could it just not have enough power? Or is this a chronic problem with rimfire ammunition (at least with semiauto)

If anyone has some insight I'd like to hear it.

mattjohnston87

imported post

The thing about the rimfires is that they are usually picky about ammo, at least the little .22 pistol I had.

Your gun may shoot it, but not group very well. The good thing is, .22 ammo is cheap enough that you can try out several brands and see what functions and performs the best in your gun.

Which CCI stuff did you get this time?

Matt

Flowmaster

imported post

i'm really big into 22s. i've tried every brand i've come accross.

it really depends on the gun. my 10/22 will function better with blazer high velocity than it will with remington high velocity. i'd say buy a hundred pack of each ammo, then shoot it and see what jams on you. that's what i did.

federal gold match (or maybe its called gold metal) doesn't disappoint, but its also more expensive than others. its a real match grade ammo.

winchester superX is disliked by most of my guns. one of my S&W 22s loves CCI while the other routinely jams using CCI, shooting cartridges that come out of the same ammo box too.

lots of semiautos won't function correctly on standard velocity 22LRammunition. same goes for the 22 shotshells made by CCI. i use standard velocity in my old/rare slide action and lever guns hoping to mildly reduce wear. for autoloaders i always use high velocity.

as far as accuracy goes, i buyeither wolf or lapua. wolf is really strange. they make really cheap centerfire ammo (their 9mm is like 14 cents each) and top of the line (and expensive) rimfire ammo. i was shooting a little over 2 inches@ 100 yards in the rain with my 10/22, using the cheap remington ammo. i switched over to wolf match grade and my group went down to about an inch and a quarter at the same distance, same gun, about 20 minutes later.

i really can't tell a damn bit of difference as far as accuracy is concerened unless i'm doing distance shooting of 50yd or more.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
I've got about 1000 rounds of CCI MiniMag HP through my P22 and haven't had a single mishap. $5 for 100 isn't too bad either :D

this is what i used, cci minimap high velocity 40 grain, only i bought it at the range (8.50 per 100)

IanB

imported post

Different guns will jam more frequently.

I have a Ruger Mark III that never jams no matter the ammo.