• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kansas now has Preemption

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Does House Bill 2528 make any distinctions between open and concealed carry?

If not I am sure a gold star will be forth comming.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Section B(2) still allows regulation by local governments of openly carried firearms by persons not licensed under the Kansas family protection act. Only those permits recognized by Kansas have the protection of this preemption. No non-resident permits either.

Not perfect, but a step forward.

stewartjwnls

imported post

lockman wrote:
Section B(2) still allows regulation by local governments of openly carried firearms by persons not licensed under the Kansas family protection act. Only those permits recognized by Kansas have the protection of this preemption. No non-resident permits either.

Not perfect, but a step forward.

So help me out here. Anyone can open carry, except where a local ordinance applies.

However, if you have a CCW license, then you can still open carry? The ordinance would not apply to you?

True?

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

That is exactly the way I read the statute.

The license must be from KS or a resident license of a state with reciprocity with KS. If you do not have a license to carry youshould brush up on all the local ordinances before you OC in those jurisdictions.