• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Students for Concealed Carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Join at http://groups.google.com/group/GMUStudentsforConcealedCarry

From recent GMU Students for Concealed Carry google group discussion thread below - GMU Chief of Staff "Dr. Hennessey" is an advocate for victim disarmement zones and believes nobody should have carry a gun for self-defense except the police!

------------------------

Here is the recap from the Fairfax campus Town Hall meeting last Monday:

The main purpose of the event seemed to be for students to come and ask general security questions, with the administration responding with general indecisive answers.
One audience member then asked Dr. Hennessey (Chief of Staff for President Merten) about GMU's policy concerning guns on campus. He replied that GMU's policy is very similar to that of VA Tech's; in that students, faculty, and staff are all prevented from bringing firearms onto campus. Dr. Hennessey continued by correctly stating that under the laws of Virginia, the university could not prevent anyone unassociated with the university from either openly carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed handgun with a permit onto the campus – as long as they were not breaking any laws or causing a disturbance.

Ryan Gleason (GMU Student Senator) then asked Dr. Hennessey about allowing students with concealed handgun permits to carry on campus. Dr. Hennessey basically said that as a 26 year veteran of the Navy he believes that if someone who had never been in a gun fight – even those with proper training on how to use a handgun – find themselves into a situation where they have to engage a live shooter, disaster will surly follow. (I am paraphrasing to the best of my memory.)

Basically the feeling I was getting from Dr. Hennessey and Chief Lynch is that they fully support qualified people being able to carry handguns; however no one is truly qualified (except for the police), therefore they are going to keep the policy as is. So it looks like we are going to have a fight on our hands.

Keep spreading the word!

Andrew Dysart

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."George Mason
-----Original Message-----
From: GMU PW Student & Academic Services [mailto:pwc-sas@gmu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:32 PM
To: PW-STUDENTS-L@mail04.gmu.edu
Subject: PW Campus Town Hall Meeting - VT Tragedy

Please join us on Tuesday, May 1st, at 12 noon, in the Verizon
Auditorium, for a Town Hall Meeting in response to the VA Tech Tragedy
for students at the Prince William Campus. Representatives from
University Life, Counseling Services as well as Campus Police will be in
attendance.

WHAT: Prince William Campus Student Town Hall Meeting
WHEN: Tuesday, May 1st
TIME: 12 noon

Please feel free to contact me should you have any additional questions
or comments.

Regards,

Charvis Campbell
ccampbe7@gmu.edu

Assistant Dean
University Life - Prince William Campus

daniel.call

imported post

Hennessey basically said that as a 26 year veteran of the Navy he believes that if someone who had never been in a gun fight – even those with proper training on how to use a handgun – find themselves into a situation where they have to engage a live shooter, disaster will surly follow. (I am paraphrasing to the best of my memory.)

I would hate to be the one to point out the fact to Hennessey that most police officers and military personel have never engaged a live shooter. It would seem like the majority of the people who carry handguns for their work will only bring disaster. It will be interesting to see what kind of applicants there are when it becomes a requirement for law enforcement to have shot someone before they can be employed.

TEX1N

imported post

Mike wrote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:32 PM
Subject: PW Campus Town Hall Meeting - VT Tragedy

Please join us on Tuesday, May 1st, at 12 noon, in the Verizon
Auditorium, for a Town Hall Meeting in response to the VA Tech Tragedy
for students at the Prince William Campus. Representatives from
University Life, Counseling Services as well as Campus Police will be in
attendance.

WHAT: Prince William Campus Student Town Hall Meeting
WHEN: Tuesday, May 1st
TIME: 12 noon

Please feel free to contact me should you have any additional questions
or comments.

Regards,

Charvis Campbell

Assistant Dean
University Life - Prince William Campus
It should be noted that this part of the e-mail was to inform about the upcoming town hall meeting that is going to be held on the PW campus for students, staff, and faculty. I don't know who is going to be there as far as the administration is concerned.

apjonas

imported post

Do they teach logic at GMU? Perhaps the dear Dr. H. thinks that anybody who has never engaged in sex should never engage in sex (even with "sex ed" from the public schools) because disaster will surely follow. End result - extinction. I'm surprised nobody asked how a LEO could meet this hurdle. There's gotta be a first time for everyone.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't have to wonder what Walter Williams thinks about this. He's a proffessor at the college and fills in for Linebaugh sometimes.He's progun and would probably support student and faculty carrying firearms.

I wonder if he'll speakout on this?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
I don't have to wonder what Walter Williams thinks about this. He's a proffessor at the college and fills in for Linebaugh sometimes.He's progun and would probably support student and faculty carrying firearms.

I wonder if he'll speakout on this?

Moreover, he is a historian. He knows and understands the "Jim Crow" roots of almost all gun-laws in the US. You can bet he has an opinion.

Regards

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

i am a senior at GMU and i am 2 weeks out from finishing my undergraduate journey.... as soon as i get my BS (cause thats what im best at! :D) i will be carrying whenever i go onto campus and everywhere else that's lawful. Now... it says students, faculty, and staff; so i am assuming that alumi are exempt? Oh i remember, there is a professor at the law school who actually wears a holster in protest of the policy....almost forgot! I would love to join anyone who is attending , however i have class during that time frame :X almost done though.

and yes they teach logic at GMU......if you ever have a chance to take ADJ490 Controversial Legal Issues, take it! It is a lot of work, but it is a very fun class and there is some great arguing goin on!

Regards

Jason

TEX1N

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
i am a senior at GMU and i am 2 weeks out from finishing my undergraduate journey.... as soon as i get my BS (cause thats what im best at! :D) i will be carrying whenever i go onto campus and everywhere else that's lawful. Now... it says students, faculty, and staff; so i am assuming that alumi are exempt? Oh i remember, there is a professor at the law school who actually wears a holster in protest of the policy....almost forgot!
According to the Attorney General's opinion concerning carry on public universities, it is not illegal if you are not breaking any other laws (i.e. if you have a permit for CC, etc.). However they can take administrative actions against students/faculty/staff.

So once you graduate GMU will have no jurisdiction to take administrative action against you because alumni don't don't fall under their control. Dr. Hennessey understands this and is very aware of where his administrative control ends; as he clearly stated during this past Town Hall meeting.

IANAL

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HOT NOTICE - Washington Post wants to tak to members of the GMU Students for Concealed carry ASAP - contact reporter below ASAP.

--------------------------------------

Mike - can you put a message out on your discussion forum asking students
who want to talk about the issue to contact me? I don't see a direct link
to their emails and I'd like to get a sense of what's going on.

Thanks!
Best,
Brigid Schulte
Washington Post staff writer
703 518 3029
schulteb@washpost.com

swatpro911

imported post

In my opinion anyone who meets the standard qualification should carry a firearm that means proof or basic competency so that way the institution/agency/police know that u will not make mistakes. Knowing what you can't do is just as important as knowing what u can do. There is no small mistakes when it comes to gun. Mistakes have a "snow balling effect" and thats when Murphy shows up.

swatpro911

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
i am a senior at GMU and i am 2 weeks out from finishing my undergraduate journey.... as soon as i get my BS (cause thats what im best at! :D) i will be carrying whenever i go onto campus and everywhere else that's lawful. Now... it says students, faculty, and staff; so i am assuming that alumi are exempt? Oh i remember, there is a professor at the law school who actually wears a holster in protest of the policy....almost forgot! I would love to join anyone who is attending , however i have class during that time frame :X almost done though.

and yes they teach logic at GMU......if you ever have a chance to take ADJ490 Controversial Legal Issues, take it! It is a lot of work, but it is a very fun class and there is some great arguing goin on!

Regards

Jason
I am also taking Criminal Justice related classes as well. Every campus should permit gun carry by students for their own safety. What if some retarded killer starts shooting...if students are permitted to be armed then they can take him out before he causes anymore harm. (Students who can legally obtain guns should be allowed, and has basic competency) We dont want any event where student fires at the bad guy and hits the teacher. lol:Dwhat u guys think?

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:

Regards

Jason
I am also taking Criminal Justice related classes as well. Every campus should permit gun carry by students for their own safety. What if some retarded killer starts shooting...if students are permitted to be armed then they can take him out before he causes anymore harm. (Students who can legally obtain guns should be allowed, and has basic competency) We dont want any event where student fires at the bad guy and hits the teacher. lol:Dwhat u guys think?
perhaps they should limit it to just handgun carry? (although i do look pretty bad ass with my 12ga (buck, slug, buck, slug, buck). I would argue that the Va Tech shooter had legally obtained guns and had basic competency...(please dont chew my ass out for this anyone......but he was able to kill 32 people.)

Yesterday i presented my research proposal regarding shall issue handgun laws and their effects on violent crime within the washington metro area(inside 495). Now i got a couple of yawns, a few gasps (when i put the 2005 UCR reports on the board for FFX, DC, ALEX, ARLINGTON, MOCO, and PG) but when i got back to my seat this girl sitting right behind me said "after seeing some of those crime statistics, i totally agree!" ya'll should have seen the $hit eating grin on my face!

happy carrying!

Jason

p.s. only one more week of undergrad :::does backflip:::

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not being a student, I wasn't paying attention to this thread. I just noticed the Washington Post interest from 4/30.

Did anybody talk? How did it go?

They ran a gun article last Sunday, front page above the fold, about assault rifles in Switzerland. I stopped reading when it started to look like a hit-piece that the Swiss are having some anti-assault rifle debate.

I don't trust the Post. Did y'all get any good press from the contacts?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
... SNIP

I don't trust the Post.  Did y'all get any good press from the contacts?

Citizen suddenly gains a full five additional intellect points on this one.

As you are aware the swiss actually ISSUE weapons to every household along with a supply of ammo. They sponsor regular training, and expect the citizens to respond if the country is invaded. You might notice that they were never FORCED to learn to speak German, even at the hight of German occupation of Europe.

Meanwhile I suppose DC and the Post figure this is because the Germans simply decided there was nothing worth taking in switzerland. You know like their gold reserves and banks.

"The Washington post, if there is no news to print we can make some up?

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

The University of Utah recently lost a lengthycourt battle over their 'academic freedom right' to ban concealed weapons on campus. I know a Utah Supreme Court decision isn't binding in other states, but between that, the Utah Attorney General's opinion,the example of the Utah Legislature (taking gun control out of the purview of school administrators), and the safe and lawful exercise of the right to keep and bear arms by the University of Utah's students, faculty, and staff, maybe you can find some points that will help persuade your state and / or school to change it's policy.

SecondAmendmentStudents@gmail.com

GabrielMicah

imported post

It is pathetic that the best advice Chief Lynch has to offer are the words of of his young child, "run and hide" (Broadside,4/23/07, page 3). It was this mentality that cost 32 lives at Virginia Tech. It is the individual's responsiblity and obligation to protect his/her own life and property. The power of Police to protect us comes from our individual right to protect ourselves. It is our right, which we deligate to them. It is not their right to give or take away.

TEX1N

imported post

GabrielMicah wrote:
It is pathetic that the best advice Chief Lynch has to offer are the words of of his young child, "run and hide" (Broadside,4/23/07, page 3). It was this mentality that cost 32 lives at Virginia Tech. It is the individual's responsiblity and obligation to protect his/her own life and property. The power of Police to protect us comes from our individual right to protect ourselves. It is our right, which we deligate to them. It is not their right to give or take away.

Welcome to OCDO!