• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC

Texan

imported post

Heading to Phoenix, has anyone OC or CC at Cabela's and Dillion's??

I know that OC'ing in Phoenix is common, but I'm not there very often.....Thanks

Armed4Life

imported post

I've CCed at Cabelas in Glendale....no problems, as expected. Would have open carried if I were by myself but I had the wife and baby with me. She is still trying to get used to open carry with the baby. Her biggest point is always, "If open carry is so common, how come we don't see anyone open carrying?" My response was that she was not being as observant as she could be and I bet her that that we would see at least three people open carrying over the next weekend. Sure enough....#1 was on 51st street in Glendale, #2 was in Walmart, and #3 was also in Walmart, a lady no less.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
I've CCed at Cabelas in Glendale....no problems, as expected. Would have open carried if I were by myself but I had the wife and baby with me. She is still trying to get used to open carry with the baby. Her biggest point is always, "If open carry is so common, how come we don't see anyone open carrying?" My response was that she was not being as observant as she could be and I bet her that that we would see at least three people open carrying over the next weekend. Sure enough....#1 was on 51st street in Glendale, #2 was in Walmart, and #3 was also in Walmart, a lady no less.

Is that really her concern? Does she not want to stand out (as in the weapon is visible) or is it about not being different? Not trying tobe critical, just wanting to understand.

Most sheep look the same... especially to a wolf.

LoveMyCountry

Texan

imported post

Armed4Life, thanks for the info...just returned from Phoenix this morning.

I OC all the time down there, had no problem. Cabela's, Dillion's, Boston Market and many other places, not a word or whimper.

Arizona is a great state, hope it doesn't change with all the "lefties" moving in..

Ghost

imported post

Texan wrote:

I OC all the time down there, had no problem. Cabela's, Dillion's, Boston Market and many other places, not a word or whimper.

Arizona is a great state, hope it doesn't change with all the "lefties" moving in..
Please don't tell me the lefties are even trying to change anyhting I am from Cali and am trying to move to Az because how great it is out there..please don't tell me there they want to change anything except get ride of CCW and let you carry any which way you please...lol

Armed4Life

imported post

LoveMyCountry.......Her concern is unneccesarily drawing attention to ourselves by open carrying, especially with an infant. Before you respond, I am pro-OC and open carry a lot without the baby (CC when with baby) but I know my wife and I believe that the gradual approach will win her over versus forcing the issue. In a few months I think we'll both be OCing with baby without a second thought. Anyone have similar experiences with a spouse that did not grow up around guns??

Jared

imported post

Texan wrote:

Oh please, give me a break. Everyone blames everyone from out of state or California.

Arizona has always had obsurd laws. Including high taxes.

Arizona, you can't carry a gun into posted private property because you are infringing on the private property owners rights; however, you can not allow smoking in your private business because it's a public accomodation and the workers have a right to clean air.... anyone see the double-standard.

Figure that one out.

This reminds me of Nevada, everyone blames people in Las Vegas and out of staters. They need to look in their own yard first. The main person blocking all pro-gun reform is Bernie Anderson. A representative from Washoe County who runs the judiciary committee.

It's easy to blame your problems on out of staters. The problem is that many western states allow direct voting on laws on the ballot. This should not be allowed. Many people are stupid and will vote away their rights. We are a republic and we have a legislature for a reason.

Secondly, people think the legislatureis corrupt, yet they all love their local representative. This mentality needs to go.

beradcee

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
LoveMyCountry.......Her concern is unneccesarily drawing attention to ourselves by open carrying, especially with an infant. Before you respond, I am pro-OC and open carry a lot without the baby (CC when with baby) but I know my wife and I believe that the gradual approach will win her over versus forcing the issue. In a few months I think we'll both be OCing with baby without a second thought. Anyone have similar experiences with a spouse that did not grow up around guns??
My wife grew up with the impression that guns are bad. She didn't even want one in the house when we got married. Now she actually owns her own and is getting her CHP. I carry with me a lot, mostly around the house because of our crackhead neighbors. She doesn't like that I carry when I'm playing with the baby but she's coming around to the fact that a crackhead won't not break in just because I'm playing with her.Just because someone sees you with a child doesn't make them not want to harm you. I would think that carrying WITH the baby is better than without.

Ghost

imported post

Ghost wrote: so you can still open carry as long as the holster is visible correct?

It's soley up to the discretion of the cop you encounter. The law says it has to be in a belt holster (not IWB, not shoulder holster, not stuffed in your pants) and the holster, not the gun, must be "wholly or partially" visible.

In 1994 a couple of Appellate court decisions interpreted "wholly or partially visible" as meaning that it must be obvious to casual observation that you are carrying a gun.

So, if you are wearing your belt holstered gun openly on your right side and a cop approaches you on your left and does not see the gun - you are carrying concleaed according to the court's interpretation of the law, and if you don't have a permit you can be arrested if the cop feels like arresting you. And, yes, people have been arrested for wearing a gun openly but standing at an angle where a cop can't see it. And, no, intent doesn't have to be shown. It's like a drug arrest. You got the pot in your car, you go to jail. If the cop says he couldn't see the gun you are carrying concleaed and can go to jail.

Sadly the only safe way to carry openly is to have a CCW permit.
THIS IS AN ANSWER TO AN OPEN CARRY QUESTION.. SAD IF IT'S TRUE..

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just passed through Arizona and open carried in Flagstaff, Kingman, and Winslow. My wife was with me and she is very used to me open carrying everytime we travel to Arizona. I think your wife will get used to it and even like it...

Armed4Life

imported post

Count,
Thanks for the encouragement. We did have a breakthrough recently, we open carried in Target, Walmart, and a furniture store last week (with the baby!!!). As with anything else, you get used to it the more you do it.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I just moved back to Texas from Arizona. We lived in Kingman and I worked in Bullhead City. I open carried exclusively (everywhere I was legally allowed). My wife also open carried. We both obtained Arizona CCW. In a year I only encountered one occasion where I was asked to not open carry - and that was in Sams Club in Bullhead City. Sams apparently allows its store managers to decide their individual store policies. I had open carried in there a dozen times before but he decided to change the store policy. He said he didn't want to scare any of the customers. He was polite. I attempted to contact the company and got the royal run-around. The AZCDL is your Arizona watch dog and gun rights organization. I highly recommend you join AZCDL. They have done some amazing things in fighting for better gun laws in AZ. AZ is a Gold Star Open Carry State for good reason- and even with all the quirks it still has some of the best gun laws in the nation. When I returned to Texas I felt like a criminal having to "hide" my gun again. Summer is here in Texas and its a pain in the butt having to constantly conceal. That is one of the reasons TCDL is fighting to decriminalize open carry in Texas. In our neck of the woods in AZ open carry was common for men and women. On any given occasion I'd always see at least 1/2 dozen other people open carrying. It is necessary for more people to open carry as it could easily become a "use it or lose" proposition. I occasionally had people ask me questions or make positive comments about what I was carrying (Colt .45 1911) and why. It was a great opportunity to promote and educate. My wife carries a Bersa .380. For us it was a wonderful experience and one we dearly miss.

Gary Williams, President TCDL

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gary,

Let's get ready for the next legislative session to try to legalize open carry in Texas with no permit, like in Arizona.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

You are right on, Count! We're working as hard as we can to do just that!

Thank you for your support of TCDL!

Gary Williams, President TCDL

lostone1413

imported post

Most people here in Arizona do see the people moving in from CA and the East Coast as a threat to our gun rights and rightly so.

Far as the legislators in Phoenix go. It always could be more pro gun but overall they have done a very good job for us gun owners. The trouble is look at some of the bills the Gov vetoed

glocknroll

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
My wife doesn't like open carry, even though she has a CHP and 4 handguns of her own. She thinks it attracts too much attention. She was born in Virginia, but went to high school in Maryland. Her Dad was a hunter. He owned rifles and shotguns but no handguns. As anyone here knows, Maryland is about as anti-gun as it gets. My mother-in-law wears her MMM T-shirt sometimes when I visit. I truly believe it is just to aggravate me.I was fortunate in that I met my wife through a mutual friend who had already told her about my gun ownership and that I carried a handgun. She doesn't understand why I used to always preach "low profile" and now want to OC.

lostone1413

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:
My wife doesn't like open carry, even though she has a CHP and 4 handguns of her own. She thinks it attracts too much attention. She was born in Virginia, but went to high school in Maryland. Her Dad was a hunter. He owned rifles and shotguns but no handguns. As anyone here knows, Maryland is about as anti-gun as it gets. My mother-in-law wears her MMM T-shirt sometimes when I visit. I truly believe it is just to aggravate me.I was fortunate in that I met my wife through a mutual friend who had already told her about my gun ownership and that I carried a handgun. She doesn't understand why I used to always preach "low profile" and now want to OC.
Tell her open carry is a right If at times you don't use it you will lose it. Another good reason that comes to mind is this. Here in Arizona where I live we can open carry. In Texas you have to conceal. I've read stories about places that you couldn't open carry at like you can in Arizona. Times someone might see your gun print or see it when a coat blows open or sees you put a coat on and sees your gun. If they are anti gun all they have to do is call a cop. Your luck the cop will be an anti gun dick head. Next thing you know your arrested for banishing a gun. I've seen these stories several times.

Most of the times in Arizona I conceal. But their are still times I open carry knowing if we gun owners don't in time we will lose another right