• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Scary Look Into The Future

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The disarmament process would begin after the initial three-month amnesty. Special squads of police would be formed and trained to carry out the work. Then, on a random basis to permit no advance warning, city blocks and stretches of suburban and rural areas would be cordoned off and searches carried out in every business, dwelling, and empty building. All firearms would be seized. The owners of weapons found in the searches would be prosecuted: $1,000 and one year in prison for each firearm.

Clearly, since such sweeps could not take place all across the country at the same time. But fairly quickly there would begin to be gun-swept, gun-free areas where there should be no firearms. If there were, those carrying them would be subject to quick confiscation and prosecution. On the streets it would be a question of stop-and-search of anyone, even grandma with her walker, with the same penalties for "carrying."

A truly frightening dollop of simplism. The constitution of the United States of America means nothing to this pointy-headed dunce.

There could conceivably also be a rash of score-settling during hunting season as people drew out their weapons, ostensibly to shoot squirrels and deer, and began eliminating various of their perceived two-footed enemies. Given the general nature of hunting weapons and the fact that such killings are frequently time-sensitive, that seems a lesser sort of issue.

He is utterly mad. Mad, I tell you.

It's so much fun to read really far out extremism. Left orright. Liberal or conservative. Democrat or Republican. Whatever.

Maybe it's a good spoof.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I have never heard anything so bizarre in my life. This will probably turn into another Sheryl Crowe, and he will say he was 'joking'.

I can invision teams of police in my head 'sweeping' city blocks for guns, wow, it would be so ridiculous, not even funny.

People like this make me physically ill. There are much better things they could do with their time.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"Those that do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it"

This has happened, or better phrased as attempted, once before.... 'the shot heard round the world' rings as loud now as it rang then.... at least for the people that still desire freedom.
It is important to know however that the shot was to be more of a marathon than a single event....the baton must be passed. …Most likely sooner than later.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Remember Jefferson's comment? "The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants?" Or words to that effect. Would this not indicate that he perhaps knew or suspected that a democratic republic would, from the day-to-day workings of human nature, slip back towards a despotism?

Here are Ben Franklin's words from his closing address to the Constitutional Convention:"In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other." http://www.usconstitution.net/franklin.html

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Does it matter that people who break the law by habit would not necessarily be afraid of breaking this one too? What's a $1000 fine to a criminal facing several years, or even a life sentence? Where is the rationale? And what is he talking about hunting vs blowing an animal away with a high powered rifle? I wish I could shoot a bear with my Walther P22, but it's just not going to happen. By the way, is not PC to mention ownership of a P22 in the wake of VT?

LeagueOf1291

imported post

My letter to the editor:

Dan Simpson's "The Disarming of America" betrays the complete illogic of the disarmament argument. VA Tech was already a "gun free zone," but that only stopped the victims from possessing a weapon. Once Cho had decided to kill, a prohibition against guns on campus was no obstacle.
The propensity for evil is in the man, not in the gun. One armed citizen and a good shot could have saved 31 lives on that tragic day. The solution is not disarmament. The solution is an armed people.

Basic Guy

imported post

Ha ha ha ha!

What a simpleton. You know that when he is dreaming up his police state ideal of an American Gestapo barricading off city blocks to round up all the guns they only trample on the rights of us ‘evil gun owners’.

So when they knock on his door he will happily let them in to look through everything in his house. No problem!

When they take his son away to jail when they find his pot stash during the ‘gun search’ he will still maintain this to be a good idea.

When his wife is shot and maimed while accidentally running the hasty roadblock of a city block cordoned off for their ‘gun search’ he will still have that same sanctimonious attitude about how this is all for the greater good.

And when they come back for that kitchen knife (which was erroneously recorded into their catalog during the gun search) because it is over the length restrictions recently passed – and he gets dragged away to prison because they don’t believe his story about what he did with it – that will be just fine with him too.

Or maybe by then he will ‘get it’.