• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student "accidentally" takes guns to school

LEO 229

imported post

Sucks to be him....

He really should have known better. You should never store unsecured firearms in your vehicle anyway.

And then.... to leave one of the guns loaded too. I hope there was no round in the chamber.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's the school principal's email (noon today) to parents on the event:
On Friday, April 27, during a routine patrol of our parking lots, one of our security officers noticed a box of ammunition in a student vehicle. We immediately notified the Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office and searched the vehicle. Inside the vehicle we foundone rifle, one shotgun, ammunition,two paintball guns, and a knife. The studentwho drove the vehicleto school was arrested by the deputies for having weapons on school property. No threats or other indicators of the student planning anything with theweapons was made or found. The student stated that he had been target practicing the previous day and forgot the weapons were in his vehicle. I credit our security procedures and the vigilance of the security officer for the discovery of these items on the MHS campus. While we constantly monitor the entire school campus every day, we will continue to remain at a high level of security to keep our students and staff safe. I believe this was an isolated incident and is no cause for alarm for the MHS community.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sucks to be him....

He really should have known better. You should never store unsecured firearms in your vehicle anyway.

And then.... to leave one of the guns loaded too. I hope there was no round in the chamber.
Why am I not surprised to hear this coming from a LEO? You do realize that most of us do not have the super citizen status that you have which allows you to remain protected at all times. I read somewhere that it was a right but I guess I missed the part that specified that you have to have super citizen class for it to apply. So tell me mister super citizen why do I have to leave my protection behind if I visit a school? A restaurant that serves alcohol? A post office? Do I really need to continue?
Why do I have to worry about the undefendable safety of my family when in certain areas and you don't? How do I explain to my children that I can not provide for their protection because I am not of a certain class of citizen in a free nation? How do I explain to my children that they can not provide for their own protection because they are neither of the proper arbatrary age nor of a certain class of citizen?

Take your time...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Here's the school principal's email (noon today) to parents on the event:
On Friday, April 27, during a routine patrol of our parking lots, one of our security officers noticed a box of ammunition in a student vehicle. We immediately notified the Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office and searched the vehicle. Inside the vehicle we foundone rifle, one shotgun, ammunition,two paintball guns, and a knife. The studentwho drove the vehicleto school was arrested by the deputies for having weapons on school property. No threats or other indicators of the student planning anything with theweapons was made or found. The student stated that he had been target practicing the previous day and forgot the weapons were in his vehicle. I credit our security procedures and the vigilance of the security officer for the discovery of these items on the MHS campus. While we constantly monitor the entire school campus every day, we will continue to remain at a high level of security to keep our students and staff safe. I believe this was an isolated incident and is no cause for alarm for the MHS community.
Sounds like sloppy gun handling, especially in leaving an unsecured loaded shotgun in the truck.There's no defending that. Doesn't anyone teach these kids practical safety anymore?

I am a concerned about the search, though. Did they break into the truck to do it? Is that legal? If they did break into the truck and it is legal, why didn't they just go grab the kid and get him to open it up?

Either way, the kid is just a goof with a gun. Negative kudos to him. Reflects badly on normal gun owners and carriers.

kle

imported post

Toad wrote:
Why am I not surprised to hear this coming from a LEO? You do realize that most of us do not have the super citizen status that you have which allows you to remain protected at all times. I read somewhere that it was a right but I guess I missed the part that specified that you have to have super citizen class for it to apply. So tell me mister super citizen why do I have to leave my protection behind if I visit a school? A restaurant that serves alcohol? A post office? Do I really need to continue?
Why do I have to worry about the undefendable safety of my family when in certain areas and you don't? How do I explain to my children that I can not provide for their protection because I am not of a certain class of citizen in a free nation? How do I explain to my children that they can not provide for their own protection because they are neither of the proper arbatrary age nor of a certain class of citizen?

Take your time...
Why are you directing your rant at someone who is tasked with enforcing the law, and not at someone who is tasked with changing it?

While I agree that the Gun Free Zones don't really work and that most of us law-abiding lawfully-concealed-handgun carriers are not going to start shooting in the presence of alcohol or children (i.e. restaurants and schools), I don't think complaining to the LEOs is really going to fix anything.

If you're that concerned about it, you oughtta write your representative.

LEO 229

imported post

Toad wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sucks to be him....

Take your time...

Are you kidding me!? Youwant me to justify Virginia law to you when I had nothing to do with its creation?

You have almost as many rights as I do when it comes to packing a gun. I can carry in the courthouse, a school, and places that serve alcohol. You get to carry any gun you want whileI am limited to only what I am issued. So let's call it even.

I may be exempt for a few places but that is only based on my occupation. It has nothing to do with me personally. I am no more super human than you are. You should alsorefrain from making such comments in the future if you want to have an open discussion. It really was uncalled for and I find it to bechildish.

Why are you even referencing a class of citizen? All classes are permitted to go armedequally. Are you suggesting that my class is actually higher based solely on my occupation? This is absurd.

I am exempt because I have passed an extensive background check, a polygraph, an 8 hour mental evaluation, and attended six months oftraining to include firearms. I also maintain 80 hours of training every two years that include legal updates.

What exactly have you done to show the State that you can be trusted? You made it thru a state background check and were permitted to actually buy a handgun.

So don't blame me or any other LEO forthe State restricting where you can go while armed. Somebody did something stupid in the past that caused the law to be created. Just like Cho causing the Governor to pass a law to report dangerous people to the state.

Finally, you are not required to visit any establishment where you must go unarmed. That is your personal choice you make freely.Furthermore, you do not need to report anything to your children regarding state laws preventing you from being armed. They probably do not care anyway.

So in closing... do not blame a LEO for restrictions the State has placed on you.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kle wrote:
Toad wrote:

Take your time...
Why are you directing your rant at someone who is tasked with enforcing the law, and not at someone who is tasked with changing it?

While I agree that the Gun Free Zones don't really work and that most of us law-abiding lawfully-concealed-handgun carriers are not going to start shooting in the presence of alcohol or children (i.e. restaurants and schools), I don't think complaining to the LEOs is really going to fix anything.

If you're that concerned about it, you oughtta write your representative
Representative do not listen or act and I have hundreds of pages of letters I have sent (yes I save them all so I can pair them up with the very few response and they also work good for future reference). The people that enforce the law can refuse to support and enforce bad legislation, in effect nullifying it. Laws are only as good as the enforcement they receive.
However, being a LEO doesn't make one any better than the rest of us especially to the point of receiving special rights, which was the point of my post.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Toad wrote:
However, being a LEO doesn't make one any better than the rest of us especially to the point of receiving special rights, which was the point of my post.

How is that the point of your prior post? Isn't this thread about a goof with a gun who left a loaded shotgun in his truck in a school parking lot?

LEO 229 said:

"He really should have known better. You should never store unsecured firearms in your vehicle anyway.

And then.... to leave one of the guns loaded too..."

What is wrong with that position, Toad? Seems reasonable to me. What is itabout LEO 229's statement that is wrong in your opinion?

kle

imported post

HankT wrote:
I am a concerned about the search, though. Did they break into the truck to do it? Is that legal? If they did break into the truck and it is legal, why didn't they just go grab the kid and get him to open it up?
Man, the CEO of my company came by on the 17th (the day after Virginia Tech) to console me and tell me of how school was back in his day--each student at his college (in Texas) had at least a rifle and a handgun...and they'd wear the pistols to class! And back in the day, whenever someone got hotheaded and started a fight, apparently, no one ever thought to go for their guns--it was all fists and grappling, and after it was over, everyone got up and went home.

Truly a different era.

---

I suspect the "probable cause" thing came into play when the kid's vehicle was searched, brought on by the box of ammo on his front seat.

I agree, though, the kid should have known better.

LEO 229

imported post

Toad wrote:
Representative do not listen or act and I have hundreds of pages of letters I have sent (yes I save them all so I can pair them up with the very few response and they also work good for future reference). The people that enforce the law can refuse to support and enforce bad legislation, in effect nullifying it. Laws are only as good as the enforcement they receive.
So you think I am going to overlook you in violation of the law? What shall we overlook next? How about Date Rape? She said NO! But we all know she was asking for it.

It is true... I "could" overlook any law it I wanted to. I do not have to arrest anyone and can let them go. I am here for the people and swore an oath to uphold the laws of this State. That means ALL OF THEM. I am not about to overlook some because you failed to getthem changed.

I am no better than any other citizen. I receive no "Special Rights" either. I am exempt by state code so that I may do my job.A LEO is expected to take enforcement action on duty and off duty. Therefore, a LEO needs to be armed in more locations so that they may continue to protect the community.

I am allowed to run red traffic signals and stop signs. Do you feel that this "special right" given to me by state code should be granted to everyone?

LEO 229

imported post

kle wrote:
HankT wrote:
Man, the CEO of my company came by on the 17th (the day after Virginia Tech) to console me and tell me of how school was back in his day--each student at his college (in Texas) had at least a rifle and a handgun...and they'd wear the pistols to class! And back in the day, whenever someone got hotheaded and started a fight, apparently, no one ever thought to go for their guns--it was all fists and grappling, and after it was over, everyone got up and went home.

Truly a different era.

---

I suspect the "probable cause" thing came into play when the kid's vehicle was searched, brought on by the box of ammo on his front seat.

I agree, though, the kid should have known better.

I did question seeing the ammo as justification to search the vehicle but one can easily conclude where you have ammo... your going to probably have a gun to go with it. I am sure the school rules having something about ammo as well as guns.

Times really have changed. Back in the day.. we would fist fight and be done with it. Now-a-ways.... Shoot first!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I am allowed to run red traffic signals and stop signs.

Betcha that comes in handy when the Hot Light goes on at KK....

roflmao.gif

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
Toad wrote:

How is that the point of your prior post? Isn't this thread about a goof with a gun who left a loaded shotgun in his truck in a school parking lot?

LEO 229 said:

"He really should have known better. You should never store unsecured firearms in your vehicle anyway.

And then.... to leave one of the guns loaded too..."

What is wrong with that position, Toad? Seems reasonable to me. What is itabout LEO 229's statement that is wrong in your opinion?

I really do feel for the kid.. I am sure it was an honest mistake.

But if your going to own and posses guns... you better be responsible and know the laws. It should have been a normal routine for him to remove all the guns from his vehicle and lock them up in the house after the range.

How you can just "Forget" they were in there and go to school the next dayseems suspicious to me. Then... to have one of the guns be loaded!! Did he leave the range with a loaded gun?

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

roflmao.gif
Even more when your headed back to the station and they are hot and fresh!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
But if your going to own and posses guns... you better be responsible and know the laws. It should have been a normal routine for him to remove all the guns from his vehicle and lock them up in the house after the range.

How you can just "Forget" they were in there and go to school the next dayseems suspicious to me. Then... to have one of the guns be loaded!! Did he leave the range with a loaded gun?

See, this is why the Phillip Thompson/Jim Webb decision to drop the Capitol security gun charge was so bad. Every Tom, Dick and kid who ends up ina jam by similarly mishandling loaded weapons in security zones also feels entitled togetting a break.

Even if 99.9% of the violators get rightfully punished, each new violator will point to the Thompson/Webb case as a precedent/justification. It breeds disrespect for the gun laws.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

roflmao.gif

There are even faster methods....

Monday October 8, 2001

ALBUQUERQUE (Reuters) - An Albuquerque policeman and his pilot face
disciplinary measures after using a police helicopter this week to
swoop in for a midnight snack of doughnuts, officials said on Friday.

The officer and the civilian pilot were on night patrol over the city
in a Kiowa OH-58 helicopter when they landed in a vacant lot next to a
Krispy Kreme doughnut store around 1 a.m. on Thursday morning.

``The contracted pilot and a police officer landed the copter early in
the morning, ran in and grabbed a dozen, came back out and took off,''
Albuquerque Police Department spokesman Brian McCutcheon said.

``I don't know whose brain child it was, but it's quite an ugly
child,'' he said.

McCutcheon said the event was being investigated as a possible misuse
of city funds as well as for safety reasons, although he added there
was no specific protocol for this case because it had ever happened
before.

``We've been given no reasonable excuse as to why they would even
think they could do this. But there could be some very serious
ramifications,'' he said.

An eyewitness told the Albuquerque Journal that he saw the APD
helicopter circle the Krispy Kreme and land in a nearby dirt field.

``I was angry, and I'm still kind of angry. That's my tax dollars,
your tax dollars. You've got no business flying in to get doughnuts,''
said Keith Turner, who works nearby and was taking a smoke break when
he saw the chopper swoop in,

The cost to the department of running a Kiowa, including fuel and
maintenance, is $80 an hour, McCutcheon said.

A Krispy Kreme employee who asked not to be identified said he didn't
see why people were making a big deal of the unusual doughnut run.

``Cops got to eat, too,'' he said.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sucks to be him....

well, VA law requires students to secure their guns in vehicles, unloaded, while on school grounds. Too bad the shotgun was loaded - had it been unloaded, no crime would have been committed.

LEO 229

imported post

Correct Mike...

Had it been unloaded... He would have been OK as far as state law is concerned. But School policy prohibits weapons on the property and now he gets a 10 day suspension.

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon or taser as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

rabbit994

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

roflmao.gif
Lies, cops don't share dounts at station, they pull into group of 3 and pass them around. Ever seen 3 cops in a parking lot? They are either sharing food or playing wireless PSP.