• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked not to shoot

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

this isn't so much about handguns at all... but on Sat. and Sunday some of my friends and I went up to my parents place in Adams county (out in the middle of orchard country) we were shooting a little, probably about 150 shots total all weekend, now... my friends and I get together up there about once a month and thats it. The neighbor at the bottom of their drive way (about a 1/4 mile out) called my parents answering machine to complain about my friends and I "shooting for hours at a time", "sounding like rambo" and bothering his dog (who by the way likes to run out infromt of my parents motorcycle, and chase after the cars going up the drive way). I don't really know what to think of it... it really ticked me off that he wouldnt have the guts to say anything to us personally, I mean it's not like we were far away. If he would have asked politely we would have ceased fire. I guess it was all in his irritated voice on the message and the bull that he was trying to feed my Dad to get us kicked out of shooting there... sorry this isnt much in context with what goes on here, I just needed to vent.

thanks.

P.S.

also we DID have a proper back stop and some of the shots were blanks even, and about the shooting all day long, 150 shots taking all day from semi auto rifles and handguns? i dont think so.And we also werent firing at an extremely high rate either it was, while it was going on for the maybe an hour total, steady and carefully aimed.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

First off, if he really wanted trouble he would have called the police, if he didnt call the police, he probably realizes its legal, and knows he cannot really do much about it.

If it was on your parents property and out in the country it may be legal, although I don't know where you live, its legal in certain parts of the state here, usually under local statutes.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it, a lot of people just like to look for trouble and drama, their lives revolve around it.

Maybe have your pops call him and bitch about the dog--make a game of it :)

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

yeah thats true, but the police were on their way up the road when we left dunno if they were going there though, but the neighbors right beside my dad had the police called on them for shooting about a month ago, the officer said that it wasnt illegal basically he just had to figure out where it was at to make his report.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

even if it is legal, probably any call involving shots fired would result in a police visit, but your neighbor may have trumped it up and saying you were disturbing the peace or some bs like to get some attention.

Anyway, I wouldnt worry about it if indeed it is legal, you will always have shitty neighbors, i dont care where you live

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like he needs to be educated on guns and gun owners. Stop by some time, get to know him, and invite him to come up and see what you are doing. How safe and FUN it is. He may just come over to the good side if you invite him. :D

If not, you did everything a neighbor should and you can ignore him.

LoveMyCountry

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tell him you'llstop shooting when hisdamn dog stops chasingcars up yourdriveway. That or you'll just shoot the dog!"

Betcha never hear from him again!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Tell him you'llstop shooting when hisdamn dog stops chasingcars up yourdriveway. That or you'll just shoot the dog!"

And if he ties up his dog?

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
BobCav wrote:

LoveMyCountry
And if an anti- quotes this forum in the media as reportedby a poster on another thread?

God! What if an anti- quotes it to PETA?

Must have been the Caribbean air. He's normallyveryeven tempered.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good God, it's like telling someone you'll kick their ass. You may beat the crap outta them, but you never actually "kick their ass". OK, I'll play this one for the spin...I love dogs as much as anyone, but it's just a dog andthey have no souls. People need to stop "humanizing" animals. Ascommanded,I'll not give that which is holy unto a dog. Something about dominion over all the animals comes to mind...

Screw PETA and screw the anti's anyway. "Gee officer, this wild dog came chasing up after me on my own property, I had no choice but to shoot it....."

Even tempered? I've been called a lot of things, but never that! lol....

I have a big temper, big gun, big car, big "equipment", big heart and a big mouth and I know how use them all! :D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Even tempered? I've been called a lot of things, but never that! lol....

I think Citizen was making a funny.

I know I laughed.

You're back in the swing of things, Bob, threatening canines across the land.

Weccom bak.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
BobCav wrote:

LoveMyCountry
BobCav, you may have been having some fun but we mustconsider the what if's ina situation like this.

What if he did what you demanded, are you now going to stop shooting?

How we deal with anti's or un-decided's may have an influence on our rights. What if your annoying new neighbor later becomes the next Mayor or Council member? Or Sheriff?!Shouldn't wemake every effort to bring them into the fold?

We need to show them thatWE are the GOOD GUYS.

LoveMyCountry

Chronoshifter

imported post

Explain the situation as it is.

You come up to your father’s place only once a month, and then only for a few hours. You practice range safety and are absolutely careful at all times. Heck, invite him over the next time to come see himself and to squeeze off a few rounds to see how fun it could be. Tell him you’ll try and stick to the same time of day every 3[suP]rd[/suP] Saturday of the month (or whatever day it is you visit) so he’ll know to bring the dog inside if the noise is working him up that much!

Be nice and polite about it, but firm as well so he knows that the bottom line is that it’s your families private property and you’ll do whatever the hell you want on it.

You could also look up local ordinances about dogs not on a leash and while not engaging into a “Hatfield vs. McCoy” family feud, say that you have concerns about the dog running on the road and that at night on a country road, it’s hard enough to see what’s around, let alone a free-range animal charging a car which out masses him 100:1