• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I carry open in church

Renegade

imported post

For quite some time I have not been attending church services since our Commonwealth prevents me from attending a religious service on private property unless I have "good and sufficient reason."

To hell with laws penned by fools that strip me of my God given right to defend my family and myself.

This past weekend was very special...and missing church was not an option. I considered carrying concealed...and then asked myself; did I have good and sufficient reason to carry? My pistol was carried openly on my hip as it is every day - and we went to church.

This next legislative session we need to remove this life-threatening legislation. In the meantime I plan on meeting with my priest to discuss the choice I have made - risk prosecution for defending my family or lead them to potential slaughter.

I know I made the right choice.

ParaWarthog

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I Googled the phrase "church shooting" andit came up with 11,400 hits. I would say that you havea lot of "good and sufficient reason
+1

Alabama has a lot of really stupid gun laws, but concealed carry in places of worship is legal. I conceal carry EVERYWHERE (where legal), so I strap on my full frame Glock 20 if I'm at church and have a coat, or I use my Galco Ultra Deep Cover holster to hide my Para Nighthawg in the small my back. The Va. Tech massacre can happen any time, anywhere. No place is safe, unfortunately, and the more victim disarmament zones there are, the more potential there is for disaster. Good luck getting the law changed up there. We're still working on open carry down here . . .

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would, but can't for the same reason I can't carry at our Knights of Columbus meetings.....the Catholic schoolis on the same property and connected to the church.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I Googled the phrase "church shooting" andit came up with 11,400 hits. I would say that you havea lot of "good and sufficient reason".

LoveMyCountry

And by the way, Welcome to OCDO! :D
Yeah figured that to be true after I got told that by a retired ATF fellow at a Hunter Ed. Instructor training session.

Flowmaster

imported post

the law say you need "good and sufficient reason". that isn't really outlined, i guess its open to interpretation.

i don't go to church, but if i did, i'd be wearing a gun.

Nicky9

imported post

I would just go concealed (Obviously if you have your CCW). Its your choice though.

Interesting wikipedia definition/breakdown of Law...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law

"Tort law allows claims for compensation when someone or their property is harmed. But if the harm is criminalised, and the act is intentional, criminal law offers means to prosecute and punish the perpetrator."

"Constitutional law provides a framework for creating laws, protecting people's human rights, and electing political representatives, while administrative law allows ordinary citizens to challenge the way governments exercise power."

LEO 229

imported post

I sure hope you do not get stopped. But if you do and your reason is accepted as "good and sufficient" please let us know.

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

packingdressagerider

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
LEO, I want to ask you what would be considered a good and significant reason to carry into a church? Would stalking be a good reason? Or your ex threatened you?

LEO 229

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

LEO, I want to ask you what would be considered a good and significant reason to carry into a church? Would stalking be a good reason? Or your ex threatened you?

Wow.. I honestly cannot say....

I thought about it but if you need a gun for a real and current threat.. maybe you should not go to Church today.

Maybe if the Church you attend has a crazy preacher who wants to kill you? :D

packingdressagerider

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I thought about it but if you need a gun for a real and current threat.. maybe you should not go to Church today.

I know...I'll watch it on TV. Why don't you ask somebody for us what would be 'good cause.'

LEO 229

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I know...I'll watch it on TV. Why don't you ask somebody for us what would be 'good cause.'
I do not think anyone can provide an example. The law was written in such a manner that it is open to the views of the person having to decide.