• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Open Carry Experience

tarzan1888

imported post

My wife and I were on our regular Friday Night date last Friday and as she loves Rumbi's food we ended up there. It was very busy and I let her out and she went in and ordered.

I was wearing a suit white shirt and tie and so I came in and found a place to sit and sat down. It was warm that afternoon and as there is no requirement in Utah to Conceal, if you have a permit, I took of my suit jacket and cooled off a little.

My Taurus 617 was prominently displayed on my right hip. There was a couple who looked to be in their early thirties sitting to my right and as we sat there we soon found ourselves chatting with them.

Then I could tell that the wife who was sitting directly to my right, caught site of my .357. She looked at it for a moment and then looking up at me she said, "Boy am I glad I'm sitting next to you." and she nodded in the direction of my gun as she spoke. She went on to say, "With all this shooting stuff going on it is good to know that there is someone around to protect you." My wife responded with how she too was glad that I chose to carry, and a very lively conversation followed.

It turns out that this lady is a therapist and works late many nights. She is concerned for her safety and has been thinking about getting a gun. We talked about revolvers and semi-auto and why I carried what I did and had a great conversation.

These shootings have really opened the door for meaningful dialog. we have an opportunity for educating others and helping to make a difference.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I know what you mean, my girlfriend hated the fact that I have a gun and even more that I OC everywhere.

I have gotten her to go shooting on a couple of occasions now, and she really enjoys it, got her to shoot a .357 today but she took one shot and sat it down :(, she just likes the .22

But today she actually asked me how to get a permit and if she could buy her own!

fobjob

imported post

"Men and women weren't created equal, Sam'l Colt made them that way" :?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
...It turns out that this lady is a therapist and works late many nights. She is concerned for her safety and has been thinking about getting a gun.
Good choice, kudos for her common sense.

These shootings have really opened the door for meaningful dialog. we have an opportunity for educating others and helping to make a difference.

It's sad that common sense is so uncommon anymore... And that we have to point out the obvious to people. But, alas, this is ONE of the reasons I open carry. Hopefully it will make a small differnece in the world if a few people "get it" after being given a reason to think about "it".