• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to a new range today

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I did not find a single good place to post this, so I will post it here.

As much as I believe it is your right to arm yourself, two very immature people led me to believe that some people should just not be allowed to have a gun.

I went to a new range today, it is closer than the one I usually go to, so I thought 'why not?'

The worker was very nice, and I was happy they they allowed rapid fire, although no lead allowed, except for .22's and the targets were mechanized, so that was nice as well.

I took my girlfriend with me, and we had a great first 20 minutes, nobody else there, then in walk two people, no older than 23 or 24. Very, very irresponsible!

The guy took out a gun from somewhere, and then I saw her pull a gun out of her purse and she did not realize it but pointed it directly at me as she was doing it and it was loaded.

First off both of their firearms should have been properly stored while bringing them into this particular range, as it is a rule posted at the door.

This girl had no clue how to operate a handgun and she is shooting a .45, she kept whining the entire time cause it was jamming, and loaded it in the place that has big large bold letters saying 'load at your firing station'.

Keep in mind as she is loading this gun, she has it point right at us, I just shook my head in disgust, and walked to a safer area.

She continued to walk back and forth between the two areas, while she plays around with the thing like it is a water pistol and she is some type of charlies angel.

Her boyfriend wasn't much better with his behavior either, both me and my girlfriend grew extremely uncomfortable around these two, they couldn't hit a target from 15 feet out and couldnt handle their firearms properly, loaded or unloaded.

There were two red beacon lights that the worker can turn on if he sees dangerous behavior, but he never turned them on, I had moved down some distance by this time and they left within ten minutes, I think her gun jammed and they couldnt fix it. She proceeded to put the gun back in her purse jammed and loaded, in no type of holster, with the safety off, moron.

Anyway I continue to shoot, and left sometime after, I made a comment to the employee, but he was too busy playing around on his computer to listen or care.

It goes without saying that I will not visit this range again.

And on top of it all the bastards did not clean up their brass, although I did after they left, very bad sportsmanship on their part.

I would have said something to them, but they did not look the friendliest of people, not did I think they cared.

I probably should have just left right then and their, although I did not fear for my life, but was very uncomfortable with their conduct. But hindsight is always 20/20!

Wondering if anyone else has had an experience like and addressed it immediately?

Did not want to get close to them at all, so I kept my distance.

Your thoughts?

-Ryan

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

A-holes are A-holes. It doesn't matter if they are cutting you off in traffic, dumping their ashtrays in the parking lot or going to a shooting range and acting like you described.

I suggest that if this happens again, you might slip out and see if the management could check on them, since they seem to need some help.

LoveMyCountry

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

The first time i ever shot a handgun was when i was 18, (had been taught shotgun safety at an early age by my dad) i went to the NRA range in Fairfax, Va. and it was a fun and safe time! about a month later i went to shooters paradise in woodbridge, va and we had this for the lack of a better term "dumb $hit!" 2 lanes down from my dad and i and no one between us. So im shooting my fathers shotgun and i decide to take a break for a few and let my dad shoot for a little. he comes up to the firing station and i put the shotgun down ensuring that its action is open and facing up. i turn around to walk away from our firing station. I am not more than 2 steps from the firing station and i am looking at the business end of an AR-15. The "dumb $hit" is kinda hunched over his rifle looking down at it, not paying any attention to what he is doing (i want to say he was trying to remove the magazine, but ill never know), before i had the opportunity to do or say anything, my dad comes out of nowhere steps between the two of us, grabs the barrel of this guys AR-15 and points it away from me and down range. The a$$hole then has the nerve to say to my dad, "don't touch my gun." My dad tells me clean up my shells and that he'll be right back. Dad comes back with an employee, and employee says to dumb $hit that he is to leave the range for the day. Apparently the employee had already talked to the dumb $hit about firearm safety.

Anyway that's my story, only time i've ever had a problem or witnessed an irresponsible person handling a firearm.

Happy Carrying,

Jason

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You should have told the range operator about the behavior ad unsafe practicesand told them that if they allow that kind of behavior in the range, you will NOT be coming back and will take your business elsewhere.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

BobCav wrote:
You should have told the range operator about the behavior ad unsafe practicesand told them that if they allow that kind of behavior in the range, you will NOT be coming back and will take your business elsewhere.
+1

Legba

imported post

It's been my experience that range wardens are pretty reasonable. They chewed my ass just for mucking about witha target a foot over the yellow "cease fire" line once, so any complaint about unsafe practices ought to meet with stern admonitions and/or ejection from any range worth going to. They may legitimetely be too busy to notice every instance of carelessness, so don't be afraid to "tattle" if someone is behaving in an unsafe manner. I know I don't want to get shot at all, least of all "accidentally" by a moron.

-ljp

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So if you're at a range, and some chick pulls a pistol out ofa purse and the gun is pointing directly at you....assuming this causes you to fear for your own life, would you be justified in shooting her?? :cool:

I think I would have explained that, under normal circumstances, someone pointing a gun at me would causeme to shoot them dead, in justified self defense. The only reason they WEREN'T dead is because their ignorance and stupidity were so utterly radiant that I knew they were actingpurely out of blatantidiocy.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Not only did I fear because of that, but it looked like her boyfriend was in some type of gang.

You will all rag on me for this, but I guess its racial profiling on my part, plus it was a bad part of town.

Oh well.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

I would have probably asked them nicely to keep their guns on the firing line and pointed down range at all times. There is no, "I'll just let it slide" when it comes to guns.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Righto! It's not that the state should forbid these idiots to possess a gun -- it's that they should be held to a higher standard of responsibility by other citizens like you. You were there, you had the opportunity to educate them and make them safer, more responsible gun owners. That's a whole lot better than passing legislation based on the stupidest among us.

[whenever I say "passing legislation" I think of something really smelly].

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Like I said, I should have done exactly that, but I cant go back now, and as far as making a comment, if he didnt care enough to watch the tv, that tells me enough.

I don't need to tell them I wont be back though, I just wont be ;)

tarzan1888

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
BobCav wrote:
+1
+2