Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fake Cop Left Scene After Victim Admitted To Having Gun

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    This one is just perfect!

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18403289/


    ThePittsburghChannel.Com
    5:03 p.m. EDT April 30, 2007
    HEMPFIELD TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Police are searching for whoever is impersonating a police officer in Westmoreland County. State police said the fake officer pulled over a man on Route 30 in Hempfield Township early Saturday morning.

    Police said the man, who said he was Jeannette police officer, had a siren in his car and asked the victim for his keys before driving away.

    Police said the impersonator was driving a white, newer-model Chevy Suburban with tinted windows.

    The man was described as white, in his 30s with light brown hair. He was wearing a tan shirt and jeans, police said.

    According to police, the impersonator told the victim he was pulled over because he was driving erratically. He then asked the victim, a 39-year-old man from Westmoreland County, if he had a firearm in the car.

    Police said the answer the victim gave might have saved him from serious harm.

    "He told this person he had a weapon, had a permit to carry the weapon," said Jeanne Martin of the Pennsylvania State Police. "When the person heard that, they left the scene immediately."

    Anyone with information is asked to contact authorities.

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Good story!

    But this raises one question in my mind, what would happen if the man had pulled a gun on him, with him not being a legit officer and all.

    Most people would not draw a firearm or fire for that matter at an officer.

    Could have ended up in a bad situation many different ways.

  3. #3
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Good story!

    But this raises one question in my mind, what would happen if the man had pulled a gun on him, with him not being a legit officer and all.

    Most people would not draw a firearm or fire for that matter at an officer.

    Could have ended up in a bad situation many different ways.
    What if youre a fake cop that either is unarmed or only armed with a fake gun, and encounter an armed citizen?

    If you dont play it cool, you run away like a little school girl.

    But youre right, if the criminal is playing 'cop', he could be armed and easily disarm his victim under the pretense that he is legitimate law enforcement checking serial numbers or other expected harassment.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Buffalo Valley, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    329

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Good story!

    But this raises one question in my mind, what would happen if the man had pulled a gun on him, with him not being a legit officer and all.

    Most people would not draw a firearm or fire for that matter at an officer.

    Could have ended up in a bad situation many different ways.
    This exposes the problem with giving police the latitude to behave in a way that reasonable citizens should not.

    A reasonable citizen should not draw a weapon on another citizen merely for admitting that he is carrying a weapon. Neither should a cop.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    842

    Post imported post

    This is one reason I believe their should be more standardized laws that officers have to meet before they can pull someone over. i.e. marked cars, uniform with a badge, etc.

    Once I was in Front Royal and I saw a local cop in an unmarked blazer with only a dash light pull someone over. IMO that is just unprofessional and disrespectful to your citizens. Not to mention the opportunities it opens up to those who wish to impersonate the police.

    It didn't sound like this guy was wearing a badge. I would think that would be the first thing I would look for.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    I had an instance one time where I was not paying attention and numped the car in front of me. Both of us got out and the guy looked at me and said no damage no harm. All of a sudden this other guy come around the van I tapped and walks up to me and asks if I have a license. I looked at him and told him yea. He asked if he could see it and I told him no. He flashed his badge at me and said he was a cop. I knew he was at that point and gave the license to him but it just goes to show that unless they show ID then they should be treated no differently than any other average citizen.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  7. #7
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    TEX1N wrote:
    This is one reason I believe their should be more standardized laws that officers have to meet before they can pull someone over. i.e. marked cars, uniform with a badge, etc.
    This situation is one more reason that leads me to question why live LEO resources are used for traffic stops at all. This kind of stuff is better dealt with by using newer technology to do license checks and issue tickets/warnings. A face to face interaction is hardly necessary any more for those kinds of things.


    TEX1N wrote:
    It didn't sound like this guy was wearing a badge. I would think that would be the first thing I would look for.
    +1

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    This one is just perfect!

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18403289/


    ThePittsburghChannel.Com
    5:03 p.m. EDT April 30, 2007
    HEMPFIELD TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Police are searching for whoever is impersonating a police officer in Westmoreland County. State police said the fake officer pulled over a man on Route 30 in Hempfield Township early Saturday morning.

    Police said the man, who said he was Jeannette police officer, had a siren in his car and asked the victim for his keys before driving away.

    Police said the impersonator was driving a white, newer-model Chevy Suburban with tinted windows.

    The man was described as white, in his 30s with light brown hair. He was wearing a tan shirt and jeans, police said.

    According to police, the impersonator told the victim he was pulled over because he was driving erratically. He then asked the victim, a 39-year-old man from Westmoreland County, if he had a firearm in the car.

    Police said the answer the victim gave might have saved him from serious harm.

    "He told this person he had a weapon, had a permit to carry the weapon," said Jeanne Martin of the Pennsylvania State Police. "When the person heard that, they left the scene immediately."

    Anyone with information is asked to contact authorities.
    This is a major testimony about armed citizens. The bad guys know that we are out there and they know that they don't want to mess with us. If this driver had said no, when asked if he had a gun,we would probably be reading his obituary.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    TEX1N wrote:
    This is one reason I believe their should be more standardized laws that officers have to meet before they can pull someone over. i.e. marked cars, uniform with a badge, etc.

    Once I was in Front Royal and I saw a local cop in an unmarked blazer with only a dash light pull someone over. IMO that is just unprofessional and disrespectful to your citizens. Not to mention the opportunities it opens up to those who wish to impersonate the police.

    It didn't sound like this guy was wearing a badge. I would think that would be the first thing I would look for.
    Fairfax County police told me that to make a traffic stop from an unmarked car in Fairfax County (we were joking about their "unmarked" Crown Vics) the officer must be in uniform.

    Is that the case anywhere else?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Yes, that is the case here in Indiana as well, it can be a plain clothes officer in a marked car, or it could be an unmarked car, but then the officer must be in uniform to make the stop.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •