Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Open Carry Day?

Post imported post

I hope I'm posting in the most relevant place this time...

I tried searching the site to see if this had been mentioned before and nothing showed up. So why don't we have (or organize) a "National Open Carry Day". Get it publicized on the news, etc. then everybody who is able to do so, open carry in public. Any Saturday would be a good day for it.

The reasoning behind this idea, among other things, is to make people aware that they (and others) ARE allowed by law to open carry in the relevant (permissible) states. It would also be interesting to see afterwards if there was any noticable drop in crimes on that day.

The only possible drawback I could envisage is the "armed gathering" thing but I'm not sure that would count because it wouldn't really be a "gathering" per se.

Post imported post

Today is open carry day!

Post imported post

I vaguely remember someone suggesting thatthe 2nd of every month be Open Carry Day, although I have a bad fever at the moment, so I could be wrong... anyway, that'd be today, so let's all pack anywayfor the hell of it.

-ljp

Post imported post

qednick wrote:
    So why don't we have (or organize) a "National Open Carry Day". Get it publicized on the news, etc. then everybody who is able to do so, open carry in public. Any Saturday would be a good day for it.

The reasoning behind this idea, among other things, is to make people aware that they (and others) ARE allowed by law to open carry in the relevant (permissible) states.
    Sounds like a great idea. Ihaven't heard ofit being donebefore. It could be very effective in achieving some communication objectives.

Post imported post

Yup, and those of us stuck in none OC states could maybe just strap an empty holster on or something to show the politicians that we'd like to be able to exercise that right.

Post imported post

Good idea, but I'd have to change jobs to support this during the week or take the day off lol.

Post imported post

That's why I think a Saturday would be best. Most people off work.

Post imported post

Every day is Open Carry day for me

Post imported post

OK, every first Saturday of the month is now officially "open carry Saturday"! Go spread the word. Email your representatives, the media, your friends and family, the cops. If you're in the Charlotte area this Saturday, stop and say hello. I'll be the guy packin' the .40 with the big "I'm exercising my 2nd ammendment right" smile on my face.

Post imported post

It's been brought up before, the idea never seemed to take off though.

.40 cal, Spell check should be used on all 'oficial' proclamations.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Oops!

Post imported post

Sorry, I did a search and nothing showed up.

Post imported post

On this same vein... has anyone organized a "Defense Walk'?

Ive been contemplating it, but not certain exactly where to start.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Isn't it illegal to carry a firearm if participating in a public demonstration in most places? So if you organized a Defence Walk, it would be kind of defenceless.

Post imported post

That would be the case in NC.

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

I think the idea never really 'takes off' because most people probably don't really see the benefit. I don't think I do either. If you support open carry, and it's legal, DO IT!
    What's the advantage of having people do it on one day? Won't they be noticed any other day and have the same effect **locally**?
    Just do it, when you please, where legal.
    No if you'll excuse me I just returned from OC'ing to the mini-mart and the pizza shop and my pizza is getting cold

State Researcher

Post imported post

I think we should all open carry on any day of the week that ends in a Y. :P

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

I always open carry, but on Saturday, as with every first Saturday of the month from now on, I will also address all the folks who take a look at my hip. I usually let them walk on by and I don't talk about it. This is the case with most OCers. Theyunderstand that it is their right to Oc, so they don't make a big deal about it. For one day out of the month we should be on the "offensive"and open with our information. Not necessarily to individuals (althoughone person at a time is the only way to get the point across), but through the media and other public methods. The benefit of doing what I did on Saturday was that I made a consciousl effort to let 4 morepeople than normal understand their right to bear arms. Use the first to explain the second!

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    For one day out of the month we should be on the "offensive"and open with our information. Not necessarily to individuals (althoughone person at a time is the only way to get the point across), but through the media and other public methods. The benefit of doing what I did on Saturday was that I made a consciousl effort to let 4 morepeople than normal understand their right to bear arms. Use the first to explain the second!
    I think the idea of a National OpenCarry Day would be to promote the concept of open carry to the American public by educating them an informing them of the details through media coverage. Open carry is an idea that most Americans know very little about. Most often, they know nothing about it other than there is a gun involved. But ifa "story" could be generated about open carry for the news media to cover, it could be very beneficial. It's great to inform 4 people on a given day. But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions. It's PR, man. Free advertising.

Post imported post

I agree. Note where I said "through the media and other public methods". I'm just saying what I did this past, first Open Carry Saturday of the month. Usually I keep to myself and don't volunteer much info about why I do anything to strangersthat don't have a vested interest in my well being.I already sent messages to the Charlotte ObserveraboutOC Saturday... But I'm only one man.

HankT wrote:
    .40 Cal wrote:
    For one day out of the month we should be on the "offensive"and open with our information. Not necessarily to individuals (althoughone person at a time is the only way to get the point across), but through the media and other public methods. The benefit of doing what I did on Saturday was that I made a consciousl effort to let 4 morepeople than normal understand their right to bear arms. Use the first to explain the second!
    I think the idea of a National OpenCarry Day would be to promote the concept of open carry to the American public by educating them an informing them of the details through media coverage. Open carry is an idea that most Americans know very little about. Most often, they know nothing about it other than there is a gun involved. But ifa "story" could be generated about open carry for the news media to cover, it could be very beneficial. It's great to inform 4 people on a given day. But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions. It's PR, man. Free advertising.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions.* It's PR, man. Free advertising.
    EXACTLY HankT!!!

I know every day is open carry day for many people and I'm surprised there's people here who don't see the point of this.

Post imported post

I just wrote a letter to the editor of USA Today about OC Saturdays. they would probably turn it into: Vigilantes plan on packing this weekend!

BTW, I OC daily. I just don't bring it up in public, and no one seems to ask.

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    <snip> Usually I keep to myself and don't volunteer much info about why I do anything to strangersthat don't have a vested interest in my well being.I already sent messages to the Charlotte ObserveraboutOC Saturday... But I'm only one man.
    For some things, one man is all it takes. (Jesus Christ comes to mind).

But no kidding, even if we can't get tons of favorable mass media coverage, I'm certain that you, all by yourself, can have a positive influence on your kids, your friends, your neighbors, extended family, and strangers willing to hear. It all adds up, it's all worth it.

Post imported post

qednick wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions. It's PR, man. Free advertising.
    EXACTLY HankT!!!

I know every day is open carry day for many people and I'm surprised there's people here who don't see the point of this.

I'm kind of surprised too. For some reason people seemto prefer garnering bad press instead of going for good press. It's the damndest thing.

A National OpenCarry Day is still really a good idea to promote and diffuse the concept of open carry in a national context. To have an annual event, with some excitement and some favorable or even neutral media reporting of OCers across the country would be VERY beneficial.

News media like stories like that. I think they might pick it up. It's very info-newsy-provocative--did-you-know-this? stuff. Show a vid of a guy walking down the street OCing in a crowd, then a brief interview....

Kind of like the TV station did for Zach Doty. Only multiplied by XXX.

Free publicity and some measure ofinfluence/control over the message. The OC advocate community has what the media really likes--a good visual and mildly provocative story.

I'm reminded of the National Smokeout effort when it began over 25 years ago. That could be a model of sorts.

It would likely produce some favorable press if doneright.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Are you the guy I read about in the Charlotte newspaper several years ago?
    Not me, I'm a transplant from Long Island. However,Ihave been in the news before.

Last Saturday was Open Carry Saturday! Did we all do our civic dutythis weekend? Who did we educate? Did we come across any negative confrontation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast