• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Day?

qednick

imported post

HankT wrote:
But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions.  It's PR, man. Free advertising.

EXACTLY HankT!!!

I know every day is open carry day for many people and I'm surprised there's people here who don't see the point of this. :banghead:

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I just wrote a letter to the editor of USA Today about OC Saturdays. they would probably turn it into: Vigilantes plan on packing this weekend!

BTW, I OC daily. I just don't bring it up in public, and no one seems to ask.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
<snip> Usually I keep to myself and don't volunteer much info about why I do anything to strangersthat don't have a vested interest in my well being.I already sent messages to the Charlotte ObserveraboutOC Saturday... But I'm only one man.
For some things, one man is all it takes. (Jesus Christ comes to mind).

But no kidding, even if we can't get tons of favorable mass media coverage, I'm certain that you, all by yourself, can have a positive influence on your kids, your friends, your neighbors, extended family, and strangers willing to hear. It all adds up, it's all worth it.

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
OK, every first Saturday of the month is now officially "open carry Saturday"! Go spread the word. Email your representatives, the media, your friends and family, the cops. If you're in the Charlotte area this Saturday, stop and say hello. I'll be the guy packin' the .40 with the big "I'm exercising my 2nd ammendment right" smile on my face. :D
Are you the guy I read about in the Charlotte newspaper several years ago?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

qednick wrote:
HankT wrote:
But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions. It's PR, man. Free advertising.

EXACTLY HankT!!!

I know every day is open carry day for many people and I'm surprised there's people here who don't see the point of this. :banghead:

I'm kind of surprised too. For some reason people seemto prefer garnering bad press instead of going for good press. It's the damndest thing.

A National OpenCarry Day is still really a good idea to promote and diffuse the concept of open carry in a national context. To have an annual event, with some excitement and some favorable or even neutral media reporting of OCers across the country would be VERY beneficial.

News media like stories like that. I think they might pick it up. It's very info-newsy-provocative--did-you-know-this? stuff. Show a vid of a guy walking down the street OCing in a crowd, then a brief interview....

Kind of like the TV station did for Zach Doty. Only multiplied by XXX.

Free publicity and some measure ofinfluence/control over the message. The OC advocate community has what the media really likes--a good visual and mildly provocative story.

I'm reminded of the National Smokeout effort when it began over 25 years ago. That could be a model of sorts.

It would likely produce some favorable press if doneright.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Are you the guy I read about in the Charlotte newspaper several years ago?

Not me, I'm a transplant from Long Island. However,Ihave been in the news before.

Last Saturday was Open Carry Saturday! Did we all do our civic dutythis weekend? Who did we educate? Did we come across any negative confrontation?

ne1

imported post

Personally, I find the idea of National Open Carry Day boring. Open carry en masse has been discussed before and many people are afraid to even gather in groups at a coffee house for fear of being charged with demonstratingsans permit or some other bs.National Open Carry Day will not accomplish anything that individuals with the resolve to carry every day cannot.

Instead the focus should be toward solving real problems. How about a National Open Carry at WALMART Day, or National Open Carry at the POST OFFICE day?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ne1 wrote:
Personally, I find the idea of National Open Carry Day boring. Open carry en masse has been discussed before....National Open Carry Day will not accomplish anything that individuals with the resolve to carry every day cannot.

Instead the focus should be toward solving real problems. How about a National Open Carry at WALMART Day, or National Open Carry at the POST OFFICE day?

I wasn't aware there wasany problem with regard to Wal-Mart anymore. At least that's what some here have said.

But the National Open Carry at Wal-Mart or Post Office sound like good ideas to throw in the hopper. Get a bunch of ideas and pick the best ones, I say. Good going, ne1.

The main thing would be to garner some favorable press and to promote the diffusion of the concept of open carry. A national thing would be good. Just like OCDC has a national context, although most of the action is in Virginia right now.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Theoretically, we could get enough people to make a point across the country in every OC state if we did agree to holding open carry Saturday in a different place each month on the first Saturday of the month. As long as the store has a presence in each state. NE1, good idea. We have 1 month to muster the troops. OC in Starbucks, Walmart, McD's?

ne1

imported post

Well, if you like the idea, other suggestions might be National Open Carry inyour state park Day or National Open Carry on your bicycle/motorcycle Day since they seem to be contoversial from time to time. Even National Open Carry and visit your local police station Daymight be interesting.

imported post

My primary transportation IS a motorcycle, a white '82 Gold Wing. And I recently appeared outside the town hall of Norwood, Louisiana, where some 70 year old cop in a black t-shirt marked "POLICE" tried to tell me he could "write me up" for openly carrying. When I asked just what law he had in mind, he didn't respond. When I quoted the state constitution, article 1 sec 11, he opened the door to the town hall and left me standing outside, alone.

cops...........pffffffft.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

As my wife has clipped my wings, I will not be OC on a hog any time soon. We are not allowed to OC in state parks here in NC, so OC in a public place is the only option. I like the idea odf OC in Starbucks because it is frequented by many people from every walk of life (middle class and up). I never go inthere anyway, so if they ban me, I won't be upset.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Since I've been openly carrying for years and rarely see anyone else doing so, I'm all for an open carry day wherever it is...........damned tired of the CCW sissies down here.

Yeah, the idea for a national day, say an annual event is to build up a promotional effort and a bit of excitement so that the news media carry the story. Doing it haphazardly once every month is unlikely toget the media attention.

The National Smokeout, Annual National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, National Child Passenger Safety Awareness Week, etc. all get on some calender for the news media to cover.

It would be a good way to spread the idea of OC to manypeople.

Free advertising. Very low cost. :celebrate

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Look here now, I want someone to give me the most efficient way to contact the right people at the right publications. Every time I write the papers, my OC advertisements never seem to move anyone.