• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cars Off Limits

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Is there a definition of encased? I have not researched this. A lawyer who lived in Wisconsin (now in Georgia) told me a bag with a draw string would qualify because of the expansive definition. I have not looked it up. Is there any case law or statutory definition?
Yes, in Wisconsin the definition is in 167.31(1)(b):

[align=left]“Encased” means enclosed in a case that is expressly made[/align]

[align=left]for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely[/align]

[align=left]zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part[/align]

[align=left]of the firearm exposed.[/align]

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

apjonas wrote:
As pointed out in the past - an encased firearm, even if unloaded, is prohibited by the concealed weapons law (Wis. Stat. 941.23). There is no way to carry (at least in the passenger compartment) without violating the law. If I had to choose, I would not encase because the rap for that will probably be less than the concealed carry charge (although I don't know for sure). I understand that 167.31 states "encased." However, the law is granting a "defense" to itself not another statute. It is possible to comply with both laws. Now I think that 167.31 is unconstitutional on its face but the WiSupCt has not dealt with that question (which is another good reason to carry openly (as case law defines it). You know what the answer on a challenge to 941.23 will be (probably). You have a better chance with a challenge to 167.31 - especially because legal carry is impossible (and thus the constitutional right is rendered nugatory - at least for vehicles, which ain't hash in this country).
I disagree. I do not believe there is any prohibition from carrying an encased and unloaded firearm in the passenger compartment of a vehicle, or more to the point, that one risks being charged with "carrying concealed" when doing so_Oddly, when transporting in a vehicle the weapon is required to be concealed (in a proper case, that is). Once it is unloaded and in a case, where it is placedwithin the vehicle is irrelevant.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Is there a definition of encased? I have not researched this. A lawyer who lived in Wisconsin (now in Georgia) told me a bag with a draw string would qualify because of the expansive definition. I have not looked it up. Is there any case law or statutory definition?
Yes, in Wisconsin the definition is in 167.31(1)(b):

[align=left]“Encased” means enclosed in a case that is expressly made[/align]

[align=left]for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely[/align]

[align=left]zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part[/align]

[align=left]of the firearm exposed.[/align]

Better make sure that you fold the bag under the gun so that it's not seen through the "cracks" that would be small in nature. Better yet, make sure that the bag has no holes in it.......or you're screwed!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This post is a copy of an email I recently sent to the Wis. State Attorney General. I don't expect an answer. In Wisconsin the AG does not have to respond to questions from the general public, even though it is an elected position. At least it will give the AG something to think about.

As a state and federally licensed firearms dealer I have the legal obligation to know the federal and state firearm laws. Recently a customer asked me about the legality of carrying a firearm on an all terrain vehicle. I was uncomfortable with answering the question so refered him to the Department of Natural Resources. The question piqued my curiosity so I did some research. My research resulted in some concern and questions of my own. Specifically the enforceability and perhaps the constitutionality of state statute 167.31(2)(b).
During the verbal arguments of State v Hamdan both the State Supreme Court (SSC) and the State AG office acknowledged that there were but two manners of carry, hidden and visible. Both sides were of the opinion that the rights granted by Article I chapter 25 of the state constitution required that if one of the manners of carry is prohibited the State must allow for an alternative mannner.
In State v Hamdan the SSC reviewed the recent constitutional ammendment, Article I chapter 25, and it's impact on the manner in which a firearm is carried. The SSC ruled that the State has the authority to regulate the manner a firearm is carried without risk of infringing on the rights given by Article I chapter 25. In addition to making that judgement the SSC addressed the constitutionality and breadth of the concealed weapon prohibition statute 941.23. The SSC declared that 941.23 was a strict liability statute that prohibited anybody except a peace officer from carrying a concealed weapon. The Court was explicit in stating that there were no exceptions to the statute, including the activities contained in Article I chapter 25.
Also in Hamdan the SSC repeated the conditions that establish concealement. Conditions it initially laid down in State v Kieth.
The person must know the weapon is present.
The weapon must be within reach.
The weapon must be hidden from view.
When carrying a firearm on a single passenger vehicle it is impossible to avoid those three conditions. Compliance with statute 167.31(2)(b) therefore forces a person to go armed with a concealed weapon while in or on one of those vehicles.
A footnote in previous SSC opinion which addressed this apparent conflict of statutes, as well as some advice I have received, suggest that one need only carry the firearm out of reach in a vehicle and thereby avoid one of the conditions that define concealment. Those are outdated opinions. It is impossible to carry a firearm out of reach on many modern vehicles used for hunting i.e. ATV's. snowmobiles, trail bikes etc. Article I chapter 25.
With the relative recent ratification of Article I chapter 25, the SSC rulings in Hamdan and the increasing use of single passenger motor vehicles for hunting, it is difficult to understand how statute 167.31(2)(b) can continue to be enforced.
More important than the enforcement of 167.31(2)(b) is the question of it's constitutionality.
The SSC says that the State has the authority to regulate the manner in which a weapon is carried. The Court defines those manners as being "hidden" and "visible". The Court then says that if the State desires to enforce the prohibition of one manner of carry it must provide for an alternate manner or yield to the constitutional ammendment (Article I chapter 25). In other words the State can't have it both ways without infringing on citizens constitutional rights.
The SSC says that 941.23, the statute that prohibits carry of concealed weapons, has no exception when applied to private citizens.
In State v Walls, State v Frye, State v Fisher, State v Hamdan, State v Kieth and others, it is obvious the State has and intends to vigorously prosecute carry of hidden weapons. Those cases show it matters not that the weapon is on the body or in a motor vehichle. Yet, in regards to carry in motor vehichles , each year the DNR issues numerous citations for carrying the alternative (visible weapons) in or on a motor vehicle as a violation of statute 167.31(2)(b). In fact the DNR is so adamant on this issue that it forbids the carry of a handgun in a holster while being transported in or on a motor vehicle, a manner that would be constitutionally correct. It appears that when it comes to transporting firearms via motor vehicle the State does in fact want it both ways. As the statutes 941.23 and 167.31(2)(b) are currently written it is impossible to carry a weapon on a single passenger motor vehicle without violating one of the statutes. And finally by requiring that weapons be concealed when carried in or on a motor vehicle the State is creating a SSC prohibited exception to statute 941.23.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
apjonas wrote:
As pointed out in the past - an encased firearm, even if unloaded, is prohibited by the concealed weapons law (Wis. Stat. 941.23). There is no way to carry (at least in the passenger compartment) without violating the law. If I had to choose, I would not encase because the rap for that will probably be less than the concealed carry charge (although I don't know for sure). I understand that 167.31 states "encased." However, the law is granting a "defense" to itself not another statute. It is possible to comply with both laws. Now I think that 167.31 is unconstitutional on its face but the WiSupCt has not dealt with that question (which is another good reason to carry openly (as case law defines it). You know what the answer on a challenge to 941.23 will be (probably). You have a better chance with a challenge to 167.31 - especially because legal carry is impossible (and thus the constitutional right is rendered nugatory - at least for vehicles, which ain't hash in this country).
As for Utah for example,

Utah Code Section 76-10-501

[size=-1]76-10-501. Definitions. As used in this part: (1) (a) "Antique firearm" means any firearm: (i) (A) with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C030.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

[size=-1](18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.
[/size]

[size=-1](2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.[/size]

[size=-1] ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[/size]
[size=-1]5) (a) "Dangerous weapon" means any item that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury. The following factors shall be used in determining whether a knife, or any other item, object, or thing not commonly known as a dangerous weapon is a dangerous weapon:
(i) the character of the instrument, object, or thing;
(ii) the character of the wound produced, if any;
(iii) the manner in which the instrument, object, or thing was used; and
(iv) the other lawful purposes for which the instrument, object, or thing may be used.
[/size]

[size=-1]So...does this mean that I have too lock my Car keys in the trunk of the intended car that I'm driving cuz it could be a [/size][size=-1]"Dangerous weapon" meaning any item that in the manner of its use :what::lol::banghead:etc....[/size]

[size=-1]Oh,...I forgot I've got a CCW so I CAN carry It in the OPEN...have too be careful though, cus somebody might think OCing is against the Law:lol:
[/size]

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

167.31(1)(b) is a very loose statute. Two pants legs sewed together and at the bottom with a draw string at the top so as to conceal a long gun is a cas "expressly made to carry a firearm" and is legal.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On May 5 I submitted a post stating that I had written to the Wisconsin Attorney General's office for an opinion on the apparent conflict between the concealed weapon prohibition statute 941.23 and the statute that requires that a weapon be concealed when carried in or on a motor vehicle (167.31(2)(b). My post on May 3rd includes the content of my letter to the AG. Today May 23rd I received a response from the AG office. It is dated May 21, 2007

As I suspected the AG would not give an opinion to a private individual. If you read between the lines on the response I did receive you will see that the issue is a point of confusion, even at the Attorney General office. Below is the response I received, in total and word for word.

"Thank you for writing to the Department of Justice on the subject of carrying a firearm on an all-terrain vehicle. As your letter discusses, the Wisconsin law on firearms and carrying a concealed weapon is not crystal clear. Our Supreme Court has interpreted the constitutional ammendment and some statutes governing firearms but not all of the questions have been answered.

State statutes preclude this office from giving opinions to private individuals except in the areas of public records and open meetings. I cannot, therefore, comment on whether this office would agree or disagree with (y)our analysis. It is clear you have given the matter much thought and done very good research".

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,
Alan Lee
Assistant Attorney General
Deputy Administrator, Legal Services.

It is apparent my letter got attention in the AG office however, the only way we will get a formal opinion form the AG is to have an opinion requested by some member of the legislature. State statute requires that the AG respond to questions from the legislature. Perhaps one of you members are personally acquainted with a representative or senator that would agree to ask for an opinion. If so, feel free to use any of my posts or comments as support.

smithman

imported post

All, I have researched this carefully. Here are excerpts from the statutes.

Google "WISCONSIN LEGISLATURE DATA"

167.31(2)(b)
(b) Except as provided in sub (4) no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
167.31(1)(b)
(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.
167.31(1)(g)
(g) "Unloaded" means any of the following:
1. Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm.

167.31(2)(e)
(e) A person who violates pars (a) to (d) is subject to a forfeiture of not more than $100.

Nothing in here prohibits carrying in a passenger compartment as long as the above conditions are met. As I have interpreted it, one could carry in their vehicle a semi-automatic firearm which has bullets neither in the chamber or magazine in the firearm and fully encased. Then if it was required for self-defense, a second magazine with bullets that is not attached to the pistol can be inserted.

However since one cannot open carry inside a vehicle, I assume this magazine insertion must be done outside the vehicle. Also, the magazine insertion cannot take place with the firearm case opened up on the vehicle due to the "in or on" clause. So I assume someone would have to uncase their firearm on the ground and then open carry it. As written, the law makes it only suitable for defense in a few situations...

I wish police didn't get special treatment with regard to carrying firearms. If they had to obey the general public's version of the laws, watch how fast the laws would change.....:banghead:

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

smithman wrote:
All, I have researched this carefully. Here are excerpts from the statutes.

Google "WISCONSIN LEGISLATURE DATA"

167.31(2)(b)
(b) Except as provided in sub (4) no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
167.31(1)(b)
(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.
167.31(1)(g)
(g) "Unloaded" means any of the following:
1. Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm.

167.31(2)(e)
(e) A person who violates pars (a) to (d) is subject to a forfeiture of not more than $100.

Nothing in here prohibits carrying in a passenger compartment as long as the above conditions are met. As I have interpreted it, one could carry in their vehicle a semi-automatic firearm which has bullets neither in the chamber or magazine in the firearm and fully encased. Then if it was required for self-defense, a second magazine with bullets that is not attached to the pistol can be inserted.

However since one cannot open carry inside a vehicle, I assume this magazine insertion must be done outside the vehicle. Also, the magazine insertion cannot take place with the firearm case opened up on the vehicle due to the "in or on" clause. So I assume someone would have to uncase their firearm on the ground and then open carry it. As written, the law makes it only suitable for defense in a few situations...

I wish police didn't get special treatment with regard to carrying firearms. If they had to obey the general public's version of the laws, watch how fast the laws would change.....:banghead:

Thank God for Virginia!!!

2nd Amendment...........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Following are two letters to the editor that I submitted to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The first article was published. The second I mailed Oct. 30 and I haven't heard yet if they intend to publish it. The message I want to give to this forum is that we must get other resources involved in our cause. We spend a lot of time and energies bantering and discussing or right to carry with each other but it's like we are in a big room where a lot is discussed and said but noyhing gets outside the room. Get active, write letters to the media, attend county meetings, write letters to our legislators, make noise. Exercise one of our most precious rights. The right of free speech.

As was reported in this paper a week ago Judge Daniel Noonan threw the Andres Vegas case out of court. The Vegas case is the one that involved the self protection of ones life with a firearm. Judge Noonan declared that because Vegas had been attacked with life threatening violence multiple times and worked in a crime ridden neighboorhood it was unconstitutional to deny him the right to use a concealed weapon to provide his own security and defense.

Pardon me! I must have fallen asleep in my political science class when the constitutional rights of people was discussed. I was always of the opinion that constitutional rights applied equally to all citizens. I had no idea that they only applied to people that had a compelling need to exercise them. It seems strange that in Wisconsin constitutional rights to conceal carry only apply if your life has been threatened numerous times in the past. They don't apply to the citizens that have been able to avoid such trauma.

Judge Noonan was only following the rules laid down by the state supreme court in State v Hamdan where the Court said that the constitutionality of conceal carry must be judged "as applied", in other words based on the merits of the case. It doesn't matter what Article I chapter 25 of our state Constitution says. "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose".

Whether their actions go pro-gun or anti-gun it's time the legislature and the attorney general do their duty and fix the mess the state supreme court has made out of Wisconsin's firearm laws.

Spring Valley WI.

In a few short weeks about 800,000 Wisconsin hunters will be taking to the wood, field and water to exercise their passion for hunting. I can't help but wonder how many will be criminalized by receiving a citation for improper transportation of a firearm on a motor vehicle. On the surface it seems the rules are fairly simple. Statute 167.31 says that when being transported on or in a motor vehicle the weapon must be completely concealed. But, wait, what about state statute 941.23? The statute that prohibits the carry of concealed weapons under any circumstances. The statute that the state Supreme Court has ruled is a strict liability statute without exception. The statute that the Court enforced in the cases of Fry, Cole and Fisher. Individuals that were found guilty of carrying a concealed weapon in a motor vehicle because the weapon was hidden from normal view.

The State Supreme Court has visited this apparent conflict of statutes and has said that it didn't feel there was a conflict. The Court said that to avoid a conflict the person could carry the weapon "out of reach" in a motor vehicle. The Court erred. It presumed that every motor vehicle on or in which a firearm may be transported is constructed so that it is possible to carry the firearm out of reach. What about vehicles such as snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles, trial bikes and motorized wheelchairs and other single passenger vehicles? Vehicles on which it is impossible to carry the weapon out of reach. Vehicles on which if a person complies with 167.31 they violate 941.23 and vice versa.

In the cases of Hamdan and Kieth the Court ruled that there are three conditions that define concealement. Conditions that allow the State to prosecute a violation to the concealed carry law. They are: The person must know the weapon is there. The weapon must be hidden from normal view. The weapon must be within reach. On the vehicles mentioned it is impossible not to meet all three of those conditions if a person complies with statute 167.31.

I'm certain there will be some hunters unfairly cited this hunting season for improper transportation of weapons in or on one of the motor vehicles mentioned. Motor vehicles that are constructed so it is impossible to place the weapon out of reach. Un- fortunately because the penalty for violating statute 167.31 is forfeiture of a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars it's unlikely there will be any court challenge. The fine is less than most traffic citations.

By an overwhelming margin the the voters of Wisconsin have voted to add two ammendments to the state constitution so that our right to own and carry firearms and to hunt,fish and trap are preserved. In spite of the people's wishes it seems the State Supreme Court is intent on evicerating, or at the least confusing, those rights, It's task should be one of clarifying constitutional law not confusing it.

rugrat

imported post

They must be in a enclosed case. Zipper better be all the way closed locks all closed on hard cases. Not within easy reach of anybody. Laying on the seat next to you does not count.If the gun is in the car the ammo must be in the trunk. Glovebox does not count! Do not lean or place a loaded gun on a vehicle thats a no no. That includes a bed or tailgateof a truck. Hunting regs have helpful hints to if you head up north where wardens help out the sheriff depts.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rugrat:

The Wisconsin State statues regarding transportation of a firearm. bow and crossbow can be found in section 167.31 of the State Laws. The specific paragraph that describes the rules for transportation of a firearm in and on a motor vehicle is 167.31(2)(b). There is nothing in section 167.31 of the Wisconsin statutes that require that ammunition and firearm must be carried in different locations of a motor vehicle. There is also no requirement that a firearm encased in accordance with 167.31 be carried in a motor vehicle "out of reach" of anyone.

You can read the statutes by doing a Google search on 167.31 Wisconsin.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Lammie wrote:
There is also no requirement that a firearm encased in accordance with 167.31 be carried in a motor vehicle "out of reach" of anyone.

Absolutely correct.

And ammo simply cannot be loaded into the gun, but a loaded magazine (or speed loader) is fine as long as it's not inserted into the gun. (Muzzle loaders cannot have a percussion cap on the nipple but apparently it's ok to have the powder and ball loaded.)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Iam in agreement with apajonas and malum - the WI statutes appear to both (1) ban carry of any gun in a vehicle unless it is unloaded & encased and (2) ban concealed carry of handguns, whether loaded or unloaded. In most jurisdictions, "concealed on or about your person" is a term of art usually held to inlcude any gun within your wingspan of control, and sometimes even when such span of control includes a locked car console.

Seems to me that somebody in Wisconsin needs to file a civil action in WI state court under Article I, Section 25 of the WI constitution to have (1) the hunting related statutory ban on carrying loaded and unincased guns declared invalid as it pertains to openly carried holstered handguns carried for self defense on one's person, and (2) that an openly carried handgun in a vehicle is not concealed merely because pedestrians on the street might not see the gun (I recall a WI appeals court once ruled as such and the WI S. Ct. refused to grant cert!).

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For those of you that are interested the following is a quote from the Supreme Court opinion in the following case

[align=center] [size="+1"]SUPREME COURT OF WISCONSIN [/size] [/align]
Case No.: 97-1423-CR
Complete Title
of Case:

• State of Wisconsin,
        • Plaintiff-Respondent,
          v.
        John V. Dundon, Jr.,
        • Defendant-Appellant.
        ON CERTIFICATION FROM THE COURT OF APPEALS
Opinion Filed: June 11, 1999

¶15. To convict a person of carrying a concealed weapon in violation of §941.23, [sup]2 [/sup] the State must establish three elements beyond a reasonable doubt. [sup]3 [/sup] First, the State must show that a person who is not a peace officer went armed with a dangerous weapon. [sup]4 [/sup] Second, the State must show that the person was aware of the presence of the weapon. [sup]5 [/sup] Third, the State must show that the weapon was concealed. [sup]6 [/sup] When Dundon testified that he removed a hand gun from a locked cabinet in his bedroom and carried it loaded either on or under the passenger seat of his vehicle-first to the gas station, then to the bank-and then carried the hand gun into the bank, he admitted all three elements of the offense. [sup]7 [/sup] The testimony of Roberson and Burdick clearly buttressed the third element of concealment, for the word "concealed" means hidden from ordinary observation; and the weapon does not have to be completely hidden.

Now read Statute 167.31(2)(b)

" Except as provided in Sub. (4), No person may place, posess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case".

Are the Wisconsin firearm laws screwed up or not?

Pointman

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Welcome, Pointman, to OCDO.

Re NRA, click on my name to bring up my 'profile', then 'posts' to see all of my posts and scan back through time to find any one of my many rants about the NRA. The NRA sells dispensations from infringements of the Second Amendment as their stock in trade.

As to autos being 'private property', that's a rather obtuse, as in 'blunt', statement for a fine point of law. I ANAL

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Two points:

First: My opinion is the NRA has only one objective, that is to get some form of concealed carry in all fifty states. It is then that they can stand toe to toe with Sarah Brady and say "See Sarah we did it". Presuming Illinois passes concealed carry, it won't fit into the NRA's plans to have Wisconsin sitting alone as the only state without a concealed carry provision. They can't seem to get the point that when we finally get statewide recognition that open carry is lawful, Wisconsin will join Vermont and Alaska as having the least restrictive personal protection carry rights in the country. It would be nice if the NRA was on our side but don't hold your breath. They won't even answer my email and I've been an NRA member for forty years.

Second: There is no question that with the addition of the right to bear arms amendment to Wisconsin's constitution that the motor vehicle transportation statute 167.31(2)(b) is unconstitutional. It is especially unconstitutional when firearms are carried in or on such motor vehicles as ATV's, snowmobiles, motorcycles, trail bikes and even rubber rafts propelled by a trolling motor during duck season. In fact statute 23.33(3)(e) requires that when a firearm is carried on an ATV it must be concealed.

On the vehicles mentioned it is impossible to avoid the three conditions the Wisconsin supreme Court says defines concealment. Namely, the person knows the weapon is present, the weapon is hidden from ordinary view and the weapon is within reach. Therefore when transporting a firearm on a single passenger vehicle the State prohibits both the concealed carry of the weapon and the open carry of the weapon.Because theState doesn't provide a manner of carryit eviserates the rights given by Article Isection 25.The State is in defiance of the Courts instructions in Hamdan.

Unfortunately the State won't erase legacy statutes without a court challenge.And becausethe penalty for carrying an open weapon in or on a motor vehicle is a fine not to exceed $100 it is unlikely that anyone will initiate a court challenge. Especially since the penalty is less than one hour of attorney fees. The only way to get the issue to court is to find an attorney that would take the case pro bono and a person willing to challenge the citation.

In 2006 there were 31 citations issued for open carry of a firearm on an ATV. 31 people that were damned if they do and damned if they don't but paid the fine because it was the least expensive alternative. Of course the State took the $3100.

If the NRA really wanted to help us out this is one area their help would be welcome.

Pointman

imported post

Hi Doug. I've read your posts in the past and do understand your opinion of the NRA. I really don't want this post to turn into some sort of NRA bashing forum. I've seen some of the good things the NRA has done, and some of the not-so-good things they've done, but am looking more for the reasoning behind the automobile decision and the NRA opinion on this rather than what people think of the NRA.

I did take the time to search the first 650 of your posts for NRA, and read your comments in context, but do not have the time to read _everything_ you wrote, as your writing is quite extensive, and taking it out of context probably isn't the best of ideas. If there is a specific point you'd like me to read, just post a link to it and I'll be glad to read the topic.

--

As to Lammie's well-worded response, is Illinois actually closer to getting concealed carry (CC) than Wisconsin?