• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle REI, Tacoma Mall, and Tacoma:

PoppaGary

imported post

Checked out the web site for Pacific Place, could not find any link to their policies and rules regulating visitors. Hard to know and follow the rules if they are not posted.

Good luck, I'm new here and still trying to get a good understanding of the OC issue (I don't even CC much, yet) and would like to start carrying openly down here in Vanc.

For decades,when discussing firearm issues, I have told people that while it is legal to carry openly, doing so would quickly attract police or other attention.

It would be interesting to know the understanding and position of the VPD and Clark County Sheriff on OC'ing. Lonnie - have you had any communications or discoveries with either of these agencies?

Good forum, Gary

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

PoppaGary wrote:
Checked out the web site for Pacific Place, could not find any link to their policies and rules regulating visitors. Hard to know and follow the rules if they are not posted.

Good luck, I'm new here and still trying to get a good understanding of the OC issue (I don't even CC much, yet) and would like to start carrying openly down here in Vanc.

For decades,when discussing firearm issues, I have told people that while it is legal to carry openly, doing so would quickly attract police or other attention.

It would be interesting to know the understanding and position of the VPD and Clark County Sheriff on OC'ing. Lonnie - have you had any communications or discoveries with either of these agencies?

Good forum, Gary
VPD had a Lieutenant shooting his mouth off saying that open carry was illegal. I made contact with a commander at VPD, other than they were forwarding the Federal Way material to the training units for review. Same with Clark County Sheriffs.

xpun8

imported post

In Mr Zook's reply he says it mentions no firearms in the "Code of Conduct", isn't that for employees? How can anyone entering be expected to go the the concierge desk to ask what the rules are.

Sorry if I missed anything, I was just skimming through and that caught my eye.

Gray Peterson

imported post

I sent Mr. Zook the following email:

Dear Mr. Zook,

I am in receipt of an email that was sent to a friend of mine that states that Pacific Place does not allow any possession of firearms at all.

Though people have sent emails probably stating that they'll never shop there again, I wanted to offer a few pieces of information on the legal and political specifics of the mall's firearms ban. I do like Pacific Place, so I was shocked to hear that there was a no firearms rule, and I wish to have it reversed. I used to be an HR representative and a security officer so I had to follow legal trends when it came to rule setting.

1) Putting in restrictions on possession on any item places a legal duty on your security forces to enforce them. If there was a shooting at the mall (not in self defense), Pine Street Management would likely be the first target of any lawsuit filed by someone who was shot there, or their estate. There would be plenty of claims that can be filed, lack of duty of care (because you didn't put up metal detectors at every entrance), and several other tort claims. If Pacific Place were to be entirely neutral on the subject, as in no policy at all, there is no duty, and any such lawsuit, if it is filed (unlikely once the attorney determines it's there's no rule to sue over), would be dismissed in short order.

2) Putting in restrictions on possession of firearms also puts your tenants in a position of not being able to make decisions for their establishment for attracting customers. By stepping beyond regulating unlawful conduct and banning firearms, your tenants also lose money by the lack of our business that are going to other places such as WalMart, which follows state law on firearms possession for those that shop there.

3) The laws of the State of Washington require that one possess a pistol license to carry a loaded firearm in one's car. Concealed carry simply won't be detected by your security forces unless you want to resort to metal detectors and other invasive detection methods that no customer or tenant will tolerate. This essentially makes it that almost anyone who decides to open carry in Washington needs a pistol license. In order to receive a pistol license, one must be 21 years of age, pay $60 to their local law enforcement agency, and pass 4 background checks (NCIC, FBI Fingerprint, WSP Fingerprint, and Mental Health Background check) to make sure that they are not convicted felons or domestic violence offenders. Over 5 percent of the age eligible population of Washington have pistol licenses (240,000). I am in the process of finding official statistics that are citable (it escapes me and my usual government source for this document has been moved), but it's been proven that a person who gets a license to carry are among the most law abiding citizens you can ever have shop at your mall. We are much less likely statistically to steal from your tenants as those who are not licensed, and we are required by law to be on our best behavior or lose the things we worked so hard for. Can you say the same for non license holders?

4) WalMart and quite a few other stores have absolutely no policy on the subject. Though I generally do not prefer to shop at WalMart (I'm not a big fan of their lack of quality control), I can and I have. I loved Pacific Place, and I still do, and I can spend a tremendous amount of money on big ticket items, or going to Gameworks which is in your building. Money made by your tenants equals more money made for Pine Street Group However, there are plenty of places I can go where I'm more welcome, and I'm sure plenty of my friends and family in the area here would agree with me. Lots of small businesses up in Capitol Hill simply have no policy either.

I hope that you consider the points above and consider removing the rule. If yourself or other management at the Pine Street Group want to speak with me in person to put a face on the subject, please feel free to email me back.

Regards,

Lonnie Wilson
PNWOCG

joshmmm

imported post

Great letter with one exception: Gameworks is not in pacific place, it is one block south in the same building as the Regal Cinemas 16 across from Cheesecake.

Gray Peterson

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Great letter with one exception: Gameworks is not in pacific place, it is one block south in the same building as the Regal Cinemas 16 across from Cheesecake.
Oops. Got any idea where it is?

-Lonnie

gregma

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Though people have sent emails probably stating that they'll never shop there again, I wanted to offer a few pieces of information on the legal and political specifics of the mall's firearms ban. I do like Pacific Place, so I was shocked to hear that there was a no firearms rule, and I wish to have it reversed. I used to be an HR representative and a security officer so I had to follow legal trends when it came to rule setting.
I'm curious, is there any case law, or any records of any lawsuits actually happening as mentioned above? I can't find a single instance of the property owner being held liable or even sued because they prohibited firearm carrying. Having specific examples sure would help in situations like this.

Thanks!
Greg