• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Informal Get Together on 5/5?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well folks, I have pretty much all day saturday and sunday off. Anyone want to meet me in person? With the meeting apparently postponed by about a week to May 19th, I pretty much want to see some of you. I live in Lynnwood.

gregma

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Well folks, I have pretty much all day saturday and sunday off. Anyone want to meet me in person? With the meeting apparently postponed by about a week to May 19th, I pretty much want to see some of you. I live in Lynnwood.
I'd love to, but tomorrow (today) I'll be at the Seattle Firearms Academy all day for training, then Sunday my wife will have the car all day.

Thanks!
Greg

Gray Peterson

imported post

gregma wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:
I'd love to, but tomorrow (today) I'll be at the Seattle Firearms Academy all day for training, then Sunday my wife will have the car all day.

Thanks!
Greg

But I already met you Greg! Talking more JoeRoket, 2A-XD-45-ACP, etc...

jchen012

imported post

Yes count me in! I would love to get advice from you about open carry. Plus I think it's time for me to take a trip to Alderwood.

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm.....that's a ways to drive from Tacoma.....are we talking about meeting at your place or going somewhere for lunch? If we could find a place that works in the middle for everyone that would be awesome; I would love to come.

compmanio365

imported post

That's the only reason I can't justify driving up north today; I'll be down there at the shootout tomorrow. My wife would kill me for burning up that much gas in one weekend! :lol:

Gray Peterson

imported post

joeroket wrote:
You have a time and place in mind Lonnie? Iam freeall day both days as well.

Ok, since I'm trying to find a good place to eat, I suggest meeting up at a Park first.

http://www.ci.lynnwood.wa.us/Content/Community.aspx?id=437

Wilcox Park, Lynnwood, 12:30PM.

How to get there: From the north, take I-5 south to Exist 181, Lynnwood 196th Street, take the western exit. Scriber Lake Park will be on the right hand side around the 5800 block, before the curves. From the south, take exit 181A Lynnwood 196th, also head west, or left. Take a look at the right hand side.

If coming from the north using 99, go southbound to 196th in Lynnwood, take a left. You'll see Wilcox Park.

My vehicle is a breadbox, more specifically the Scion xB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_xB

First Gen model. I will have my WAC badge on me that says my name, and I'll be open carrying my springfield XD.

Gray Peterson

imported post

It was a pretty good get together in Lynnwood, met up with jchen012 and joeroket at Wilcox Park. After talking with a few moments, and looking at some of my own handiwork, we all went to the The Rock, Wood Fired Pizza. jchen012 also open carried for the first time, due to some friendly peer pressure from me.

No bother at all. The masses were not screaming and running away. Good quesadillas.

We spoke about many subjects, not just open carry. Transportation issues. It was a pretty good gather that lasted about 3 hours.

I then went down to Tacoma to meet up with compmanio365. We met at Bulls Eye Range, but I arrived first and spoke with the Range Officer named Ronnie. What's interesting about the conversation was that he was under the impression that it was legal to open carry until someone was alarmed. Needless to say I dispelled that, he made copies of the Federal Way bulletin and I gave him the link.

compmanio arrived sometime during this conversation and both of us offered more or our perspectives.

Though he (Ronnie) dressed with what I would call your typical 22 year old urban wear wear (long t-shirt, jeans, sneakers). He also wasn't white (I won't guess as to his ethnicity) which means that he's likely treated with a little more suspicion by the public and by law enforcement in general. He says he prefers concealed carry, because he doesn't want anyone to know he's carrying, but I believe he's gotten a newfound respect for open carry. I think with enough open carry in Pierce County he may do it. He also made one interesting observation:

If someone were dressed in a suit, an 80 year old woman sees that person open carry, they're likely to see an undercover cop. I usually wear black denim and similarly colored shirts, so that's the same with me.

However, Ronnie would likely get a phone call because he looks somewhat like a "thug", even though he probably is a lot more law abiding than a "thug" and can shoot better. I've seen some of his target groupings.

The entire conversation brought home something to think about, which was the idea of racial profiling and clothing profiling. I am willing to bet that the "Man with a gun" calls are likely to be higher with a person who is not white than someone like myself, compmanio, and joeroket. Which is quite unfortunate.

This is one of the reasons why I think it's even more important to get this education campaign squared away, even with the dispatchers who may send out police. The clothes one's wear should not bear onto whether or not someone can open carry. I can tell Ronnie won't open carry for the factors I named above. To me, that's wrong and needs to be addressed.

That being said, myself and compmanio went down into the gun store and I oogled over the guns there. I was going to make a payment towards a gun on layaway that I had literally forgotten about. They still had it in inventory, but they were not happy with it being in layaway for 7 months.

Starting 4/1/2007, they put in a policy stating that anyone who leaves the gun on layaway for more than 45 days without paying the full cost, so when I tried to pay a payment of $100 towards the remaining balance, they were not pleased. They wanted me to pay the entire thing right then. So, faced with the choice of losing most of the $200 I already paid into it before, I decided to just buck it up and pay for the whole thing.

Now one gun richer, heh heh. :)

-Lonnie