• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting FOIA event unfolding in Spotsylvania

LEO 229

imported post

Spotsylvania Deputy County Administrator Ernie Pennington informed Hill's attorney that portions of the information they seek will cost at least $1,178 and as much as $38,682.

Wow! I am not sure what he is asking for but it must be hard to find. A copy of the case file would cost pennies so he must have asked to a search of the entire computer system and database for something else.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I should have posted this before. The school sup's FOIA requests are in this article: http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/042007/04272007/279294

One thing I find most interesting is no mention of money in the requests. FOIA requests by Mike, VCDL, and others in the recent RT/CHP database event, they had statements like "if the cost to fulfill this request is more than $xx, please provide an estimate." I assumed a lawyer would do the same since the FOIA request has to be paid for by requester.

I'd like see the actual response sent to the sup since I live in this jurisdiction and my taxes are affected by this situation.

The other interesting item is how the commonwealth attorneys are claiming an exemption from FOIA.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actually this one is pretty easy to explain, but it is still bogus.

In order to search the backup tapes for the long time period requested, they would have to load the base tape, do a search, load an incremental tape, do a search, load the next incremental.... and so on. At some point they would get to the next full backup in the series and repeat the process.

They have to cover the entire time frame this way to capture every email for everyone involved. But the fact is that if there are emails that were sent read and deleted between backup increments these would not be there, and there are better ways to proceed.

Almost every county attorney I have ever dealt with has claimed exemptions that were subsequently denied by independent review. But it does delay the process, and it cost the requester value time and money.

Regards