• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Frank Lautenberg's S1237

glocknroll

imported post

Anyone heard of Senate bill 1237? Frank Lautenberg introduced it, supposedly at the request of the Justice Department. It would allow the US Attorney General to arbitrarily deny 2nd amendment rights to anyone SUSPECTED of being a terrorist. How long do you think it would take Hillary's attorney general to suspect the NRA or GOA membership of being terrorists?

glocknroll

imported post

A little more information: S.1237, introduced by Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ). "Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2007". The Second Amendment Foundation news release I got this from says that there is no clear explanation of how a person gets put on the list, and the appeal process to get off the list is weak at best. I haven't personally read the text of the bill, but I can't stand the idea of any American citizen being denied their rights because of a suspicion.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There is an article in today's Washington Times (www.washtimes.com) where a Deputy Atty Gen. Somebody is opposed because, obviously, if a terrorist is denied a firearm, he'll know his cover is blown. Justice Dept.maynot want him to know he's under suspicion. I've stated it a little more literally than the actual objection.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
There is an article in today's Washington Times (http://www.washtimes.com) where a Deputy Atty Gen. Somebody is opposed because, obviously, if a terrorist is denied a firearm, he'll know his cover is blown. Justice Dept.maynot want him to know he's under suspicion. I've stated it a little more literally than the actual objection.

By that logic, we should also let blacklisted people onto jetliners, too...

Why do people who have been to law school think it is okay to deny people their rights without first convicting them of a crime?

glocknroll

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Why do people who have been to law school think it is okay to deny people their rights without first convicting them of a crime?
Because so many of them think that the "Washington Elite" are superior beings to the average working stiff. They also believe that it can never happen to them. If any of them thought for a second that they might accidentally end up on that list, they would fight the very idea tooth and nail.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Because they have been to law school. And then associated with politicians.