• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to dress for both methods of carry?

Kevin108

imported post

Concealed carry is easy with any untucked shirt or especially with a jacket or other cover garment. Tucking a shirt in while CC is more difficult, but I have CTACs for my guns, so it's possible. I've played around it but never done it. I don't do much fancy stuff. Any of the places I go and need to look presentable an untucked polo serves just as well as anything.

But how do you dress for open carry? For starters, I guess it depends on your holster. I have a Fobus paddle holster for the Glock 17 and the factory Springfield belt holster for my SA GI 1911. All my experimentation has ended up requiring a tucked-in shirt. Am I missing something?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I don't see anything you have missed. If you are in a place that requires open carry, you pretty well need to tuck in your shirt so that your weapon is visible. If you are licensed to CC then you can do what you want. If your shirt/jacket covers your weapon,than you were CC'ing. If someone sees it, you wereOC'ing.

I'm usually wearing jeans, T-Shirt and a gun. Simple.

LoveMyCountry

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I'm fond of button down shirts but usually wear a t-shirt/polo/henley type of thing.
As mentioned above, if I CC it's untucked for the concealing garment and while OC I tuck it in. I tend to wear more button down shirts than before now that I am OC'ing more. With the controversey associated with some LEO still being woefully ignorant of the carry laws I figure it can't hurt to be just that much more "clean-cut" in appearance when OC'ing and dispite current fasion trends IMO a nice button down fits the bill nicely. :)

Kevin108

imported post

It's going to take a few new pieces of clothing to make OC really work for me I think. Which isn't a bad thing except for fitting it into an alright tight budget.

Kevin108

imported post

It's an IWB holster from CompTAC. http://www.comp-tac.com

ctac_ani.gif

g17carry1.jpg

g17carry2.jpg

g17carry3.jpg

g17carry4.jpg

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's me in an untucked polo, jeans, with a Fobus paddle... I use the Fobus paddle almost every day. Just yesterday after church I OC'ed in Burke Lake Park wearing khakis and a button down shirt tucked in. (not a peep from anyone).

RugerHemi.jpg

Lew

imported post

Whoa, nice ride! And I always am surprised that people don't look like their avatars. :?

LeagueOf1291

imported post

If I could just OC exactly the way I wanted, and had no inhibitions about it whatever, I'd have a cross-draw across my belly on a bandolier, and I'd wear my kilt. That would be so liberating.:cool:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LOL....Well, I AM Italian and from Jersey, raised in the same area the Soprano's is filmed.....might be more of a resemblance than you know! ;)

League.... I did NOT need that picture in my head. Thanks! :uhoh:

possumboy

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Here's me in an untucked polo, jeans, with a Fobus paddle... I use the Fobus paddle almost every day. Just yesterday after church I OC'ed in Burke Lake Park wearing khakis and a button down shirt tucked in. (not a peep from anyone).

I'm at Burke Lake Park often taking my kids on the train. I've never had a problem either, well one officer came over to start up a conversation. I was trying to keep up with my kids and just asked if I was free to go; to which he answered "yes" and that was all that was said.

I have not been this year, but the kids are asking about the train... so it will be soon.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
It's going to take a few new pieces of clothing to make OC really work for me I think. Which isn't a bad thing except for fitting it into an alright tight budget.
Yeah being fat and short sucks for me. All the polos that fit are too long and look stupid untucked with a pistol holding up one side, and I DETEST tucking my shirt in when it is not required. I spent too much dough on my two guns and holsters not to do it though, so I've got to figure out something myself.

joeroket

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:
Yeah being fat and short sucks for me. All the polos that fit are too long and look stupid untucked with a pistol holding up one side, and I DETEST tucking my shirt in when it is not required. I spent too much dough on my two guns and holsters not to do it though, so I've got to figure out something myself.
Have you tried shopping in the husky boys section?:p

Flowmaster

imported post

i always wear my work clothes (i have a desk job and wear a tie to work) when i open carry. since i carry a galco cop series holster and my gun is all black, i probably get mistaken for a cop or detective or something.i think its since i look like a respectable young adult when i carry, i havn't run into any problems.

i always carry in the forward canted position. the guy at the gun shop where i bought the holster said the forward cant was "FBI style".
gunzy2.jpg

if i dressed like i just came out of a trailer, i bet i'd have more of a chance of getting the cops called on me.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

joeroket wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:
Have you tried shopping in the husky boys section?:p
No... it's so undignifying... I'll be nineteen in a few weeks... I can't bring myself to shop in the kids section anymore....lol. I have found that Polo's by Ralph Lauren fit well... too bad there an outrageous 60-80 bucks a freakin shirt at our local Dillard's store. Oh well...

LeagueOf1291

imported post

BobCav wrote:
LOL....Well, I AM Italian and from Jersey, raised in the same area the Soprano's is filmed.....might be more of a resemblance than you know! ;)

League.... I did NOT need that picture in my head. Thanks! :uhoh:
:lol: Bob, I actually have pictures of that -- be glad I didn't post them!