• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

chevy-time

imported post

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while and have decided to join.

Im a military officer in the area and have been here for one year. My wife and I live in Everett with our newborn little girl.

Currently I only Conceal carry because any attention I bring upon myself or my servicecan result in undue punishment at work regardless if any laws were broken.

However I open carry while hiking in the Mt Pilchuck area to ensure that I am fully comfortable.

I have a few questions I willask in a seperate post.

I look forward to more discussion and hopefully making it to a meeting soon.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

chevy-time wrote:
Im a military officer in the area and have been here for one year. . . . Currently I only Conceal carry because any attention I bring upon myself or my servicecan result in undue punishment at work regardless if any laws were broken.
Well, just don't break any laws then :cool:

A photo of me OCing was published in the Washington Post while I was on active duty - a very popular topic at work it was!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

chevy-time wrote:
Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while and have decided to join.

Im a military officer in the area and have been here for one year. My wife and I live in Everett with our newborn little girl.

Currently I only Conceal carry because any attention I bring upon myself or my servicecan result in undue punishment at work regardless if any laws were broken.

However I open carry while hiking in the Mt Pilchuck area to ensure that I am fully comfortable.

I have a few questions I willask in a seperate post.

I look forward to more discussion and hopefully making it to a meeting soon.

Chevy, welcome to the forum. I live south of you in Lynnwood. I've never been in the service so there may be something I've missed. I would check your orders and see if there are any regulations against carry by you off post. I know in Alaska they had a military commander up there banning concealed carry by soldiers, but I don't think open carry was prohibited.

If there are no rules, and you're not wearing your uniform while open carrying, I don't see how you could get in trouble, but that's just me.

joeroket

imported post

It wouldn't suprise me if they deem it to be conduct unbecoming of an officer.

Since the UCMJ is what he has to abide by, and I don't know what it says about that, it wouldn't suprise me if he could get in trouble for it. I know the UCMJ has some very archaic and rediculous codes in it so I guess it would be prudent to discuss it with a military lawyer and see if it is buried somewhere.

TRAKATAK

imported post

I am an active duty officer as well, and I consider myself very fortunate to have a unit commander who is very supportive of firearms. He is a lifetime member of the NRA and when I was in his office just recently regarding some shooting talk, he informed me that he was in the process of prosecuting a junior enlisted soldier who was caught transporting a loaded, unregistered handgun on the installation. While neither of us support the mandatory registration of firearms on the installation, or the laws that prohibit loaded firearms on an installation, he unfortunately has to do what is required.

This is one case of the ridiculous laws that permeate our world of firearm fearing citizens. The fact that active duty personnel, people of the profession ofarms, trainedin theuse of firearms,with fairly easy access to FULLY-AUTOMATIC firearms and almost endless ammunition, cannot lawfully carry apersonnally owned firearm to and from work. Very, very, sad.

gregma

imported post

Welcome to OpenCarry! I think you'll find plenty of friendly people here and I hope you enjoy your time! Looking forward to meeting you at one of our get-togethers!

Thanks!
Greg