• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chuck E. Cheese

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

My girlfriend has a seven year old daughter, and we went to Chuck E. Cheese today, I live in Indiana so as it is I have only seen one person open carry, and I think it was an off duty LEO, I am the only person that is not a cop that I have ever seen OC, but again, I don't go around searching hips for guns either, but I think I would notice at least one person in 17 years in this state.

Regardless, I went to Chuck E. Cheese yesterday, for those of you that dont know, this establishment caters to the entertainment of young children, probably 4-12 with animated characters, lots of arcade games and a maze elevated above the seating area, the also serve pizza, as well as beer (but is more expensive than a friggin baseball game).

At anyrate, I took her and 2 of her friends their, I left my gun in the car, I have not been able to find out if I can go into establishments that serve alcohol in Indiana yet, I just cannot find this information anywhere. -- Any help?

Also, I was thinking even if it was legal here in Indiana to do so -- if anyone has, or has in a place like this that does not serve alcohol. This place is 75% kids under 12 and the other part is adults, I did not want to freak anyone out and have the police called.

But on the other hand this place is crawling with soon to be gangsters...

Anyway was looking for some insight here, and wondering if anyone else has any experience in this, or knows about the Indiana gun law and alcohol.

Just curious.

-Ryan

possumboy

imported post

I OC at the the Chuck E Cheese inWoodbridge, VA about once every few months. I do not like going there, but it seems to be a place for birthday parties for a lot of my kids' friends.

In VA, you cannot CC in a place that serves alcohol - it is a requirement to OC to stay legal.

I have never had any problems, I just act like I belong there.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Considering how a lot of those kids (and some of the parents) behave in those places, I'm not sure I would want to be in there without a gun.:what:

LoveMyCountry

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like the Chuck E Cheese in Woodbridge isn't too hot either. I have been to more than one of these establishments, to me it seems like it attracts a lot of trashy people. Anyone?

I have looked at other post, it seems to be that in Indiana you can open carry when you are in a place the serves alcohol? Does anyone else find this to be true? What is the deal about drinking and carrying? Legal-Illegal?

bohdi

imported post

Sounds like the one in Manassas that my in-laws and their friends take the kids to isn't the only gangster breeding ground in VA:what:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Yesterday was my first visit back to Chuck E. Cheese since I had posted this question.

As we took three kids today (my girlfriends daughter and her two friends), I decided that it would be a good time to cc, it was my first time ever that I have cc'ed, the holster that I bought made it quite comfortable to do so, but there were a few times where I was not as alert as I should have been when getting up and down from the table where my firearm was visible when my shirt pulled up over it.

Only one guy and a family noticed, I got quite a strange look since I was wearing regular clothing, just shorts and a t shirt, I usually look nicer when I oc, but all in all, no comments or police called, so I was happy about that.

I would have really preferred to oc in this particular situation, but there are quite a few kids there, and a lot of mothers that I wouldn't put it past them to react unfavorably to oc, and I don't need that especially when I have two kids with me that I barely know...

paramedic70002

imported post

CEC's pizza sucks, unfortunately Iused to berequired to go there on occasion to fulfill my fatherly responsibilities. Why in heck do they serve beer at a kid's pizza joint? :cuss:I decided I'dadmit to ignorance if caught CCing. "No officer, I had no idea they served beer at a kid's pizza place. Really?" And this only because I fear a near riot if I walk in OCing. Parent running one way, kids running the other! Besides, can you imagine the bumping stress and retention problems!

Finally found better places to go that the wife approves of so we don't have to make that decision anymore.

glock36

imported post

We took our kids to the nearest CEC's which happens to be in Saginaw Michigan. not a very safe city at all. and you can bet i had mine with me. I was CCing, but i think at that time i didnt even know you could legally OC. But if i go back i would still probably CC.

JustACitizen

imported post

Just to give some insider input to this, Chuck E Cheese does have a corporate policy stating it does not allow firearms in its restaraunts, however, if you ever pay attention, most of the locations do not have posted signs. I know the location in Woodbridge, VAdoes not. As far as OC goes, with the previously mention bumping and retention problems, how comfortable would you feel OCing in that enviornment (that is a question I pose as someone new to OCing.) Now, going to CC, you could always plead ignorance to the fact that they serve beer (in va you must OC in places serving beer), but what are the odds that you would be outed while CCing? Probably slim....

just my 2 cents...

possumboy

imported post

I OC at the one in Woodbridge. I feel just as comfortable OC'ing there I as do anywhere I OC.

Ignorance is no excuse unless you a LEO, then based on other threads, you were just doing your job to the best of your ability. LEO cannot be expected to know all the laws in the hefty books, but citizens are expected too. Double standard that you would get in trouble over.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
CEC's pizza sucks, unfortunately Iused to berequired to go there on occasion to fulfill my fatherly responsibilities. Why in heck do they serve beer at a kid's pizza joint? :cuss:I decided I'dadmit to ignorance if caught CCing. "No officer, I had no idea they served beer at a kid's pizza place. Really?" And this only because I fear a near riot if I walk in OCing. Parent running one way, kids running the other! Besides, can you imagine the bumping stress and retention problems!

Finally found better places to go that the wife approves of so we don't have to make that decision anymore.
Why would you have bumping stress and retention problems.... are you playing the games too? :)

paramedic70002

imported post

openryan wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:

Why would you have bumping stress and retention problems.... are you playing the games too? :)
All those younsters running around and grabbing at anything in their way...

McGruff

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
I decided I'dadmit to ignorance if caught CCing. "No officer, I had no idea they served beer at a kid's pizza place. Really?"
If carrying in CEC is illegal in Virginia, you'd be hearing "Yes, they do serve beer at a kids pizza place. Really." while handcuffed in the back seat of a Crown Vic. States tend to take firearms laws pretty seriously, even if you don't. It's not the same as trying to talk your way out of a jaywalking ticket.

It's up to you to know the laws for your state, and it's easy enough to find out where you can or cannot OC or CC.

I can only speak for Michigan, you can't CC if an establishment derives more than 50% of sales from alcohol, so CEC would be legal. I don't OC, so I don't know the OC laws in my state.In some states you can'tcarry if they serve any alcohol at all, andother states have no alcohol restrictions.

psmartin

imported post

McGruff wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
I decided I'dadmit to ignorance if caught CCing. "No officer, I had no idea they served beer at a kid's pizza place. Really?"
I can only speak for Michigan, you can't CC if an establishment derives more than 50% of sales from alcohol, so CEC would be legal. I don't OC, so I don't know the OC laws in my state.In some states you can'tcarry if they serve any alcohol at all, andother states have no alcohol restrictions.

In Virginia, there is no sticker or license on the door that would inform someone the restaurant had alcohol.

I CC'ed at CEC once I think and never noticed the beer taps or anything, and on a subsequent visit I noticed them and suspended the "illegal activity"

If I'm in doubt I'll OC, but CEC threw me off guard because.. "It's a kids pizza/gaming restaurant", which you would not assume would serve alcohol.

Now, any other "sit down" restaurant it's pretty easy to tell if they serve alcohol, all the "free shwag" provided by the beer companies if a major tip-off.

Any decent lawyer would be able to get a CEC problem taken care off.. The problem is that decent lawyers are not cheap, and if the cop has an axe to grind, you're going to need that lawyer.

I'm hoping the VCDL succeeds in ridding us of the restaurant ban this year! Don't forgot to give your money & time to VCDL :)