• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Academy of Seattle free handgun safety class report

gregma

imported post

Good morning all!

I just attended the FAS *free* handgun safety class this last Saturday and wanted to give a report for any who might be considering taking it.

Overall I would give the class an A++! Even though I have been around guns most of my childhood, I still learned quite a few things.

The instructors were very easy going, and very knowledgeable. The shooting portion was outstanding! I improved my shot groupings from 5" to 2". And the range coaches were very patient with all.

I would recommend this class to anyone and everyone, even if you've been shooting for years! I'm looking forward to taking their more advanced classes. They even offer night shooting classes!

They are quite a ways south of Seattle (about 100 miles south) so it takes a couple of hours to get there, but the trip is well worth it.

And no, I'm not getting any renumeration for this :D

http://www.firearmsacademy.com/

Thanks!
Greg

JamesM

imported post

I have also taken the free safety class and I was amazed at how much information and training was given for FREE. Their strategy of attracting repeat customers worked on me as I am already signed up for another class (Utah CCW as well) and plan on taking many more.

krazichinaman

imported post

I've seen a lot of people post about that place on xdtalk.com and have seen nothing but great posts. I personally am signed up for August 4th. Is anyone else signed up for this date?

Drewesque

imported post

Y'know, I really ought to attend one of their classes sometime. I live in Lacey, so it's not that far to attend a good class in Onalaska. Hell, I used to live even closer, but I didn't know about the place back then.

I think Iwould kind of feel bad attending the free course right now, since I couldn't afford an advanced class just yet. And, frankly, it's really the advanced classes I would like most, having been around guns all my life. I'm sure the free class is useful, but I'd really look forward to the more advanced stuff.

gregma

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
Y'know, I really ought to attend one of their classes sometime. I live in Lacey, so it's not that far to attend a good class in Onalaska. Hell, I used to live even closer, but I didn't know about the place back then.

I think Iwould kind of feel bad attending the free course right now, since I couldn't afford an advanced class just yet. And, frankly, it's really the advanced classes I would like most, having been around guns all my life. I'm sure the free class is useful, but I'd really look forward to the more advanced stuff.
I think you'd be surprised at actually all you learn even in the free class! And the instruction on the range is worth so much! Also, when your certificate is mailed to you, they send you a nice surprise for future classes. I still haven't been back for a more advanced class, but know I will eventually. And even the advanced classes are really reasonable in price. With their "surprise" give, it's even more reasonable in price :)

Thanks!
Greg

kparker

imported post

I just took their Defensive Handgun course the weekend before last.

I will definitely second everything that's being said here: good class, great instructor and assistants, learned a lot, and (from my perspective anyway) quite affordable. I definitely will be back, either to take further advanced classes, the Rentention class (especially pertinant for open carriers), or maybe even to retake Defensive Handgun w/my Ruger SP101 instead of my S&W 910 that I used this time--gotta work on those speed-loader reloads!

Cue-Ball

imported post

Perfect timing on the bump of this thread! A friend's wife is looking to take an intro handgun class so that she can start carrying, and I couldn't remember the name of this place. Thanks to everyone in the thread for the reviews and info. I've already recommended that my friend and his wife attend, and I think my wife and I might also take a class, just to brush up.

Drewesque

imported post

gregma wrote:
Drewesque wrote:

I think you'd be surprised at actually all you learn even in the free class! And the instruction on the range is worth so much! Also, when your certificate is mailed to you, they send you a nice surprise for future classes. I still haven't been back for a more advanced class, but know I will eventually. And even the advanced classes are really reasonable in price. With their "surprise" give, it's even more reasonable in price :)

Thanks!
Greg

Well, if the free class makes others even cheaper, I wouldn't feel like quite as much of a mooch. After all, thenI might be able to afford the retention class and/or the defensive handgun and shotgun classes.

And, hey, a little range time with an instructor and my Steyr might improve my aim with the sights. They're fast, but I'm less accurate with them (of course, I've only put about 150 rounds through her, but she's new).

compmanio365

imported post

I've been looking at taking this course for some time now, but the only thing that turns me off is the gun snobbery that they seem to have. I would be bringing my Hi Point 45 to the course, and according to their website, I would not be allowed to use it since it is a "sub-$200" gun. I have fired over 500 rounds through the pistol and have had no trouble with it, and it was the best I could afford, yet they would deny me their class because I didn't buy something more expensive. I certainly wouldn't go there just to have to leave.....

Drewesque

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I've been looking at taking this course for some time now, but the only thing that turns me off is the gun snobbery that they seem to have. I would be bringing my Hi Point 45 to the course, and according to their website, I would not be allowed to use it since it is a "sub-$200" gun. I have fired over 500 rounds through the pistol and have had no trouble with it, and it was the best I could afford, yet they would deny me their class because I didn't buy something more expensive. I certainly wouldn't go there just to have to leave.....

I'd call them about it. They say that they haven't seen a proven sub-$200 gun. If you talk to them, they might be willing to accept a Hi Point, especially after you explain that you have yet to experience a single failure.

I could be wrong here, but it couldn't hurt to check. From the sounds of it, they mostly have problems with people bringing junk guns. Go to your local pawn shop and look at some of the bargain guns there. I promise you'll see a lot of names your local gun shop refuses to carry. A lot of those are utter trash. The point they're trying to make is that you need a gun that will do the job.

Ajetpilot

imported post

krazichinaman wrote:
I've seen a lot of people post about that place on xdtalk.com and have seen nothing but great posts. I personally am signed up for August 4th. Is anyone else signed up for this date?
My wife and I are registered for the August 4 class. I'll be the old, gray-haired guy with the pretty lady by my side. I'll be using a Kimber .45, and the lady carries a S&W .38 revolver. See you there!

just_a_car

imported post

Drewesque wrote:
I could be wrong here, but it couldn't hurt to check. From the sounds of it, they mostly have problems with people bringing junk guns. Go to your local pawn shop and look at some of the bargain guns there. I promise you'll see a lot of names your local gun shop refuses to carry. A lot of those are utter trash. The point they're trying to make is that you need a gun that will do the job.
Yeah, my guess is they're talking about something like if they see the name "Jennings" stamped on a pistol, they'll tell you to get a gun that will actually function. ;)

Ajetpilot

imported post

My wife and I attended the free Handgun Safety Seminar this weekend. I want to echo what others have said. This is top notch training. Roberta, who had no formal training before this class, came away confident in her abilities, and competent in the use of a handgun. Now she wants a better gun. Guess we are going to go thegun store again. Yipeee!!!

krazichinaman

imported post

I was there as well on the 4th. I don't recall a kimber. Were you the couple from Oregon or the ones that wanted to buy the crimson grips for the pistol? I was the person wearing the NRA hat talking about opencarry and what not.Also, I was sitting in the frontleft row.I was shooting my XD .45 Service in Dark Earth walking around with it on my hip. I also was in the first group to hit the range and end the day in the class.

BTW the class was very good. I learned a few things I didn't think of before. I'm so tempted to take their defensive pistol class, but I'm a bit short of cash at the moment.

Marty Hayes

imported post

Hi everyone...

I just ended up here after reading a blog about one of these classes, and a little further research resulted in me finding this forum.

Anyway, thank-you all for your kind comments regarding our training. It is nice to know that we are succeeding in our mission to educate people on firearms training and education.

Also, regarding the HI-Points. They are allowed, bring it on down.

Marty Hayes, Director

The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

compmanio365

imported post

Great to hear Marty, thanks for confirming that.Myself and my wifewill be signing up for one of the next classes that is available......thanks for putting on such a great program!

just_a_car

imported post

Marty, welcome to OCDO! Good to have you on board. I'm hoping that at some point during my senior year this coming school year at the UW that I'll have the time and the mental capacity to come down and check out one of your classes.

Please also join us over on the NWCDL.com forums if you haven't done so already.