• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Academy of Seattle free handgun safety class report

compmanio365

imported post

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I just had to post on my experience with the free Handgun Safety Class that I just took yesterday. I have to say that even though I have been shooting for a while, that I learned a LOT of things that I didn't know before. I relearned a couple of things I had forgotten, and they helped me change a couple bad habits that I had developed over the past couple years, doing things purely on my own.

I would say that it is definitely worth a person's time, even if they -think- they are at an advanced level as far as handguns, to go to this class and learn a few new things and relearn what you have forgotten. If nothing else, you have a half day of good practice shooting your pistol with instruction from trained professionals on how to better your technique.

I plan at some point here to sign up for the home defense class to further my skills and training, and I believe if this is what they can give for free, that any paid class must be even better. Definitely worth the drive down there, and worth any money you might end up paying for this.

wqbang

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I just had to post on my experience with the free Handgun Safety Class that I just took yesterday. I have to say that even though I have been shooting for a while, that I learned a LOT of things that I didn't know before. I relearned a couple of things I had forgotten, and they helped me change a couple bad habits that I had developed over the past couple years, doing things purely on my own.

I would say that it is definitely worth a person's time, even if they -think- they are at an advanced level as far as handguns, to go to this class and learn a few new things and relearn what you have forgotten. If nothing else, you have a half day of good practice shooting your pistol with instruction from trained professionals on how to better your technique.

I plan at some point here to sign up for the home defense class to further my skills and training, and I believe if this is what they can give for free, that any paid class must be even better. Definitely worth the drive down there, and worth any money you might end up paying for this.
The 2 day Defensive Handgun class is awesome. After the class, I was shooting better in the dark than I was shooting in daylight at the begining of the class.

You will not be disappointed! Best $275 I have ever spent. Not only that, but it was a blast! (literally and figuratively).

kparker

imported post

After the class, I was shooting better in the dark than I was shooting in daylight at the begining of the class.

Well, I can't claim to have improved quite that much, but other than that, I definitely second your recommendation!

wqbang

imported post

kparker wrote:
After the class, I was shooting better in the dark than I was shooting in daylight at the begining of the class.

Well, I can't claim to have improved quite that much, but other than that, I definitely second your recommendation!
Shooting for 2 days straight with quality instruction has a tremendous effect on muscle memory. It also says how poorly I shot before the class... :)

For those of you who don't think you need training, think again. You will realize how much you don't know and how much you think you know is wrong. Case in point, the people who have been shooting for years (arguably experienced shooters) that claim they learned things and corrected bad habits in the FREE HANDGUN SAFTEY SEMINAR!

Consider purchasing training in lieu of your next handgun... you won't be disappointed.

kparker

imported post

Oh, I meant to add that the shooting-in-the-dark part was one of the biggest selling points to me. After all, it's as least as likely that any self-defense situation I run into will be after dark, and how much do I get to practise this at my regular range? Zero...

compmanio365

imported post

kparker wrote:
Oh, I meant to add that the shooting-in-the-dark part was one of the biggest selling points to me. After all, it's as least as likely that any self-defense situation I run into will be after dark, and how much do I get to practise this at my regular range? Zero...

That's why I like the brightly colored sights I got on my Hi-Point.....good for low light shooting. I even want to get some paint for my sights on both the Hi Point and the Kel-Tec and paint them with the glow in the dark paint. I figure the most likely time I would ever need to use my pistol is either in the dark in my house at night, or in the dark walking somewhere at night. Either way, we're talking about little to no light to see with. Anyone have any good experience with any of this?

And the shooting in the dark is part of the home defense course, correct?

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
kparker wrote:

That's why I like the brightly colored sights I got on my Hi-Point.....good for low light shooting. I even want to get some paint for my sights on both the Hi Point and the Kel-Tec and paint them with the glow in the dark paint. I figure the most likely time I would ever need to use my pistol is either in the dark in my house at night, or in the dark walking somewhere at night. Either way, we're talking about little to no light to see with. Anyone have any good experience with any of this?

As for good sights, check out Heinie sights. I have a set of Straight Eight® sights on my G27. They make their ngiht sights with Trijicon® Tritium gas tubes, so they glow nice and brightly.

krazichinaman

imported post

kparker wrote:
I plan on taking the same class probally this coming summer when time allows. I already have the ammo sitting at home waiting. -_-

joeroket

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
kparker wrote:

Not so sure you would get the expected results. Glow in the dar paint is light activated. If you were in the dark, carry concealed, or had it in a drawer for more than 20 minutes then it would not glow. That is why night sites use tritium gas because it is a chemical glow when combined with the phosporous that they coat the inside of the glass tube with.