• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Academy and OpenCarry.

gregma

imported post

While taking the course, there was some mention of "brandishing". I wouldn't say the class was completely anti-open carry, but they were slightly hinting at it. During the break I went out to the car and grabbed all the training bulletins that Lonnie got and went up to the co-owner.

I held a very brief discussion of open carry and the training bulletins and showed them to her. She started reading and said... "Oh, Lonnie, I'm familiar with him and his work. He really does good things."

She asked if I could email her these bulletins but I told her to just keep the ones I had as they were backups.

At the end of the class, she came up to me and thanked me for the bulletins, she said that she had read them all and learned quite a few new things. And that she was going to modify the class based on them.

Over all I think it was a great encounter! She said that she personally wouldn't open carry, but has no problem with others doing so.

Thanks!
Greg

wqbang

imported post

gregma wrote:
While taking the course, there was some mention of "brandishing". I wouldn't say the class was completely anti-open carry, but they were slightly hinting at it. During the break I went out to the car and grabbed all the training bulletins that Lonnie got and went up to the co-owner.

I held a very brief discussion of open carry and the training bulletins and showed them to her. She started reading and said... "Oh, Lonnie, I'm familiar with him and his work. He really does good things."

She asked if I could email her these bulletins but I told her to just keep the ones I had as they were backups.

At the end of the class, she came up to me and thanked me for the bulletins, she said that she had read them all and learned quite a few new things. And that she was going to modify the class based on them.

Over all I think it was a great encounter! She said that she personally wouldn't open carry, but has no problem with others doing so.

Thanks!
Greg

I am assuming the person you were talking to was Gila Hayes. Not only is she super nice, but she is probably one of the best female firearms instructors in the US.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I have taken a few classes from FAS and found them to be very professional and ensuring students walked away with a good understanding and proficiency with the laws and firearms.

The use of the word brandishing is used quite often through out the U.S. even though it is not on the books, but is used as most are aware of the meaning of it to be in a menacing manner and not to be related as being in a secured holster on someones belt.

I am sure if Gila mentioned that they will incorporate that into their curriculum, you can most assured she will.

gregma you did well and assisted others in getting the correct information.

gregma

imported post

wqbang wrote:
gregma wrote:

Thanks!
Greg

I am assuming the person you were talking to was Gila Hayes. Not only is she super nice, but she is probably one of the best female firearms instructors in the US.
That was her! She is an amazing woman. She remembered everyone's first names in the class the entire time, blew me away. I'm looking forward to more classes there.

Thanks!
Greg

dawei

imported post

gregma wrote:

Thanks!
Greg
How might I aquire these bulletins so I may join the fight so to speak?