Thread: Sea-Tac has a firearm restriction?

Post imported post

I found this while digging through thier site. They have a rules/regs document that can be found HERE that, onpage 3-6,says:

16. Firearms and Explosives:

a. No person, except for Port of Seattle Police Officers, Port of Seattle Certified Wildlife Hazard Management personnel, and fully commissioned law enforcement officers, shall carry firearms on the Airport. Other persons authorized by municipal, state, or federal government carrying firearms on the Airport in performance of their official duties shall have prior approval from the Port of Seattle Chief of Police.

The document also states in theforeword:

1. The Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is owned and operated by the Port of Seattle, a municipal corporation, organized under statutory authority of the State of Washington.

Kind of seems like they do not understand the pre-emption statute.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Just a little history,

Back in 2004, SeaTac Airport went to the Legislature and asked for restricted access areas to be banned by anyone from carrying. Now, the state law merely duplicates federal law on the subject, so that a state law enforcement officer at Port of Seattle PD can arrest someone on state law grounds. The reason of course was that they couldn't enforce the ban on the books due to preemption.

That law was passed in 1981. Preemption passed in 1983 and 1985.

I will be following up with Port of Seattle on this subject.

Post imported post

FWIW

I know you don't normally encourage asking LEO's for permission, but I have asked the Port of Seattle PD by Phone if Concealed carry was legal in Sea-tac and was told yes.

Post imported post

You can carry, you just can't go into the secured areas, the other side of the stupid machines that register the 2 screw and 4 pins in my left knee.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    You can carry, you just can't go into the secured areas, the other side of the stupid machines that register the 2 screw and 4 pins in my left knee.
    Too bad they don't show the "Loose Screws" that some of their operators carry around in their noggins.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"