• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sea-Tac has a firearm restriction?

joeroket

imported post

I found this while digging through thier site. They have a rules/regs document that can be found HERE that, onpage 3-6,says:

16. Firearms and Explosives:

a. No person, except for Port of Seattle Police Officers, Port of Seattle Certified Wildlife Hazard Management personnel, and fully commissioned law enforcement officers, shall carry firearms on the Airport. Other persons authorized by municipal, state, or federal government carrying firearms on the Airport in performance of their official duties shall have prior approval from the Port of Seattle Chief of Police.

The document also states in theforeword:

1. The Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is owned and operated by the Port of Seattle, a municipal corporation, organized under statutory authority of the State of Washington.

Kind of seems like they do not understand the pre-emption statute.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just a little history,

Back in 2004, SeaTac Airport went to the Legislature and asked for restricted access areas to be banned by anyone from carrying. Now, the state law merely duplicates federal law on the subject, so that a state law enforcement officer at Port of Seattle PD can arrest someone on state law grounds. The reason of course was that they couldn't enforce the ban on the books due to preemption.

That law was passed in 1981. Preemption passed in 1983 and 1985.

I will be following up with Port of Seattle on this subject.

chevy-time

imported post

FWIW

I know you don't normally encourage asking LEO's for permission, but I have asked the Port of Seattle PD by Phone if Concealed carry was legal in Sea-tac and was told yes.

Bear 45/70

imported post

You can carry, you just can't go into the secured areas, the other side of the stupid machines that register the 2 screw and 4 pins in my left knee.
banghead.gif

amlevin

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
You can carry, you just can't go into the secured areas, the other side of the stupid machines that register the 2 screw and 4 pins in my left knee.
banghead.gif
Too bad they don't show the "Loose Screws" that some of their operators carry around in their noggins.